Dog Issues

Marky Mark

I have a puppy who is almost 7 months old. She originally was having trouble with her potty training but eventually taught her to ring a bell when she needed to go. The only problem is, she has to go pee literally every 45-60 minutes. When I let her out she does pee (not super long). Obviously at almost 7 months she should be able to hold her bladder for almost 7 hours, but clearly she can't. Anybody have any suggestions? When I ignore her ringing the bell she sneaks off to go pee upstairs. The vet also tested her urine, and found no infection. What do I do!?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
I have a puppy who is almost 7 months old. She originally was having trouble with her potty training but eventually taught her to ring a bell when she needed to go. The only problem is, she has to go pee literally every 45-60 minutes. When I let her out she does pee (not super long). Obviously at almost 7 months she should be able to hold her bladder for almost 7 hours, but clearly she can't. Anybody have any suggestions? When I ignore her ringing the bell she sneaks off to go pee upstairs. The vet also tested her urine, and found no infection. What do I do!?

Are you leaving her water bowl out?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)

That's probably a good point. Its out except 2 hours before bedtime. You think if I limited it to just her meals, she'd be peeing less? The thing is, she pees so little when she's outside, she's not unloading buckets of it.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)
That's probably a good point. Its out except 2 hours before bedtime. You think if I limited it to just her meals, she'd be peeing less? The thing is, she pees so little when she's outside, she's not unloading buckets of it.

Hmm, interesting. Impessive that you got her to ring a bell, but that's probably not the route you needed to take. The key to house training is not just to train the dog to alert you when she might wish to go, but to learn to go only when she actually has to.

The fact that she goes in the house if you ignore the bell does seem to suggest that she actually believes she has to go though.

Any way you could use some of those indoor pads for her to urninate on until she can scale back a bit?

I don't know what else to tell you...

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
I've got it.

Did you train the dog to ring the bell with treats?

Perhaps she rings the bell and pees because she expects a treat every time as a reward for both.

No, no treats. We trained her so that she knew that she could not go outside without ringing the bell. When we let her out, she pees within 10 sec and is ready to come back in. She seems like she must be really having to pee, I hope holding back her water outside of meals will help.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)

Excellent point. Also it is good to discipline them (take them to where they pee'd/poop'd at tell them no/bad dog/etc.. and hit them, doesn't have to be super hard, but they know you mean buisness) so they will think twice. Dogs are obviously very smart. I have a 5 month old myself. Yes he still slips up from time to time, but not nearly as much as he used to. When he slips up, he runs right to his dog cage cause he knows he f***ed up.. :lol: I also credit my other dog too (older) who shows him the ropes sort of speak. I.E. where to do his business at outside (amazing that I can let him out at 5 months in my backyard with no fences, etc.. and he does his business and heads right back into the house not worrying about him running away, pooping/peeing in the neighbors yard) not to walk in the living room, etc..

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:36 AM)
No, no treats. We trained her so that she knew that she could not go outside without ringing the bell. When we let her out, she pees within 10 sec and is ready to come back in. She seems like she must be really having to pee, I hope holding back her water outside of meals will help.

What I also like to do is stay out there with my dog just to be on the safe side. My dog also did the 10 sec. thing, but I stayed out there with him, kinda ran around with him a bit to get more out of his system (luckally there was no snow during the time :lol:) But ya, my other dog does help alot with that regard as well. Same with taking a dump. I never trained with a bell as I pretty much knew how the little guy operates (pees every 2 hours cept when he eats... thats when he pees every hour) so I try to keep him on that kind of schedule just to be on the safe side (though now he can hold it for alittle longer than 2 hours.. it's more or less the dog learning to hold it/bladder)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:36 AM)

Yeah, otherwise you may be looking at installing a doggie door....;)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Excellent point. Also it is good to discipline them (take them to where they pee'd/poop'd at tell them no/bad dog/etc.. and hit them, doesn't have to be super hard, but they know you mean buisness) so they will think twice. Dogs are obviously very smart. I have a 5 month old myself. Yes he still slips up from time to time, but not nearly as much as he used to. When he slips up, he runs right to his dog cage cause he knows he f***ed up.. :lol: I also credit my other dog too (older) who shows him the ropes sort of speak. I.E. where to do his business at outside (amazing that I can let him out at 5 months in my backyard with no fences, etc.. and he does his business and heads right back into the house not worrying about him running away, pooping/peeing in the neighbors yard) not to walk in the living room, etc..

What kind of pup, SA?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
What kind of pup, SA?

Family got a toy poodle. (I like bigger dogs personally, but I can't deny the cuteness of the little guy) Other than my mother, I'm the only one who pretty much takes care of them/knows a thing about dogs. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Family got a toy poodle. (I like bigger dogs personally, but I can't deny the cuteness of the little guy) Other than my mother, I'm the only one who pretty much takes care of them/knows a thing about dogs. :lol:

My family has always had huge breeds - Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, English Mastiffs.

Recently, my grandmother has been living with my parents along with her shih tzu.

Pretty funny seeing the shih tzu interact with the wolfhounds and mastiff. Now my mother has rescued a soft-coated wheaton terrier as well. It has opened my mind up to both big and small dogs...

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)

I've got a couple poodles (allergies). Miniature and toy. They can convince you to give them things with their cuteness.

It's a horrible power.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
I've got a couple poodles (allergies). Miniature and toy. They can convince you to give them things with their cuteness.

It's a horrible power.

Can we save this post to razz you with for the remainder of your life here on earth?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Can we save this post to razz you with for the remainder of your life here on earth?

I'm not ashamed of them. They are smart, easily trained, don't eat much, easy to clean up after, easy to pick up and carry if necessary, and don't shed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:09 AM)
I'm not ashamed of them. They are smart, easily trained, easy to pick up and carry if necessary, and don't shed.

I wasn't implying you should be ashamed of them.

I was giggling at you claiming they could make you do things with their "cuteness."

I am currently housebreaking a 2 month old puppy. He physically shouldn't be able to hold the urine for more than like 20 minutes, except that he NEVER goes in his crate. If he isn't in the crate, then we are outside very frequently. I don't know if you crate trained the dog, but it will teach the dog to hold it until he can get outside.

My question is, why are you ignoring the bell? Is it accidental, or are you trying to teach her to hold it? If it's the latter, then you should be using a crate or some small room where the dog will be less likely to go (a den, essentially).

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 06:05 AM)
I am currently housebreaking a 2 month old puppy. He physically shouldn't be able to hold the urine for more than like 20 minutes, except that he NEVER goes in his crate. If he isn't in the crate, then we are outside very frequently. I don't know if you crate trained the dog, but it will teach the dog to hold it until he can get outside.

My question is, why are you ignoring the bell? Is it accidental, or are you trying to teach her to hold it? If it's the latter, then you should be using a crate or some small room where the dog will be less likely to go (a den, essentially).

Unfortunately for me, my dog has no objections to using her crate as a toilet. I will ignore the bell when she's ringing it ten minutes after she just peed. I want her to learn to hold it, not release the second she feels it.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Unfortunately for me, my dog has no objections to using her crate as a toilet. I will ignore the bell when she's ringing it ten minutes after she just peed. I want her to learn to hold it, not release the second she feels it.

Is she from a breeder or a pet store?

From what little i kno about my dogs, it seems like the dog could have a bladder or a urinary tract infection. I know that it has happened to my lab a few times and she was always going to the bathroom, but just a little bit at a time. I am not sure if that is the case with yours though! The dog could also be craving attention, our dog has a tendancy to do that as well.

Being a small dog also means small bladder....who knows!