Nacho cheese

SouthsideDon48

You know the liquidy nacho cheese that comes with nachos at US Cellular Field and other places that serve typical nachos? Well, where in the world can you buy that nacho cheese?

The reason I ask is because everytime I make my taco salad, which is copied from my old high school's taco salad, I can't find the typical liquid-style nacho cheese in food stores.

The only liquid-style cheese I can find is some kind of mexican brand in a small mexcian food section at Jewel, but it doesn't taste anything like the nacho cheese that normally comes with nachos.

And even the people working at food stores has no idea where to find nacho cheese, what the hell? The only stuff they can think of is the typical cheese dip that you find in the chip aisle, which is nothing like nacho cheese.

So does anyone here have any idea where I can find nacho cheese without having to make it from scratch?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of a time about 20 years ago when I was working as a night auditor. Each night in the wee hours of the morning we would have to go to each restaurant and bar (lotsa free booze, since we had access to all keys) and close out the cash registers. Sometimes at the Rec Center they would leave the nacho cheese dispenser on so that the cheese would be nice and hot and we could fix ourselves a plate of nachos. One night when they failed to do this I noticed sitting on top of the garbage a huge can which the cheese came in. I inspected it and saw that there was quite a bit of cheese still in it. I figured it hadn't been but a couple of hours since they closed and if I nuked the cheese it would be safe for consumption. Boy, was I wrong! It didn't taste bad so I ate quite a bit. This must have been about 4 am. I got off of work at 7 am. No sooner did I get home from work and I started getting sick. I happened to weigh myself beforehand. By 11 am when I was pretty much done being sick I weighed myself again and I had lost 7 pounds, that's how f***ing sick I got.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
You can get it at any grocery store in the chip aisle. It comes in a little tin can its like Fritos Mild Cheddar cheese sauce. They also have Jalapeno Chedder. I just used it last night. It's awesome.

I think he is claiming that product is not the same. The salsa con queso you're referring to is thicker, in my estimation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
I think he is claiming that product is not the same. The salsa con queso you're referring to is thicker, in my estimation.

Where did I say salsa con queso? It's literally just Fritos Mild Cheddar Cheese. Not salsa con queso. I've had damn nachos with nacho cheese, and this is it!

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
when i worked in my college cafeteria, that stuff comes in a weird bag that only works w/ the dispenser machines. Probably out of luck.

yea, that's what my high school cafeteria used to do. They used to get them in bags, cut the bag and pour all the cheese into a big pan and scooped the cheese into the taco salad with a ladle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
1. I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't actually cheese.

2. Why would you WANT to make your taco salad like something you had in a high school cafeteria?

1. Even if it's not really cheese, it was REALLY good! :)

2. Cause it was the best taco salad I ever had in my life. :lolhitting: I actually gained 30 pounds while eating it twice a week in high school, lol. It had crunched up tortilla chips topped with greasy ground beef, oozy nacho cheese, lectuce, and tomatoes. It wouldn't be the same with any other kind of cheese, even shredded cheese, it was THAT good. :) I lost 60 pounds since I graduated high school and I figure I'd get back on the saddle and eat taco salad again. :lolhitting:

QUOTE (Heartattack19 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
What about melting Velveeta? Like the commercial, mix it with some Rotel and you have an instant Nacho Dip!

Hmmmmm, I tried that once before, but the problem with the velveeta is that when it cools down it hardens up. I'm looking for a cheese that stays in liquid form like nacho cheese.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
Reminds me of a time about 20 years ago when I was working as a night auditor. Each night in the wee hours of the morning we would have to go to each restaurant and bar (lotsa free booze, since we had access to all keys) and close out the cash registers. Sometimes at the Rec Center they would leave the nacho cheese dispenser on so that the cheese would be nice and hot and we could fix ourselves a plate of nachos. One night when they failed to do this I noticed sitting on top of the garbage a huge can which the cheese came in. I inspected it and saw that there was quite a bit of cheese still in it. I figured it hadn't been but a couple of hours since they closed and if I nuked the cheese it would be safe for consumption. Boy, was I wrong! It didn't taste bad so I ate quite a bit. This must have been about 4 am. I got off of work at 7 am. No sooner did I get home from work and I started getting sick. I happened to weigh myself beforehand. By 11 am when I was pretty much done being sick I weighed myself again and I had lost 7 pounds, that's how f***ing sick I got.

:lolhitting: That was hilarious! Thanks for sharing that. :)

Everybody pointing to the big industrial cans of liquid cheese is exactly right. I spent my high school years selling chips and nachos out of various concession stands at Lincoln Park Zoo, Bears games, etc., and that's what we used. You also need the big-ass can of jalapeno slices and then you are in business.