Nacho cheese

SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Don,

Judging by some of the comments in this thread, my guess would be maybe trying to order it directly from the distributor. You might have to order it in bulk, but you could probably find it that way.

Hmmmmmmm, hopefully I can find a place that sells a big can or something. :( It sucks that cheese is so hard to find, cause I bet it'd sell a lot more if it was more readily available.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Look at Sams Club or Costco. That crap comes in big ass 145 lb cans. I used to get it ALL the time in high school.

Really? Hmmmmmmmm. I wish I was a member of Costco or Sam's Club. :lolhitting: The cost of membership at those places seems pretty steep. :( But that doesn't stop me from going to Costco just to eat the free samples while getting in with a different alias everytime I go. I once used Paul Konerko as an alias. :lolhitting:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
You can get it at any grocery store in the chip aisle. It comes in a little tin can its like Fritos Mild Cheddar cheese sauce. They also have Jalapeno Chedder. I just used it last night. It's awesome.

Really? Hmmm, I never noticed anything in a little tin can. All I ever saw in the chip aisle at food stores here are the Frito-Lay stuff in glass cans that are a little too thick and not quite the same as the mass-produced nacho cheese.

Plus, I need enough cheese for a whole family, so I need something in a big can or so for a whole pot full of cheese.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Most of the stores by me sell it :lolhitting

I've picked it up at Sams Club. Basically you have to mix it with milk and heat it up.

About how much milk in proportion to cheese are you supposed to pour in? I worry about diluting the cheese too much.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
About how much milk in proportion to cheese are you supposed to pour in? I worry about diluting the cheese too much.

The ratios are on the can. And I've seen the stuff at my local mega mart and Wal Mart. It's with the 10 gallon 1,000 Island Dressing and the "Float a boat in it" BBQ sauce.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Everybody pointing to the big industrial cans of liquid cheese is exactly right. I spent my high school years selling chips and nachos out of various concession stands at Lincoln Park Zoo, Bears games, etc., and that's what we used. You also need the big-ass can of jalapeno slices and then you are in business.

Hey dude, do you remember how you used to prepare the liquid cheese from the big industrial cans? Did you just pour it into a pot and heat it up and serve it? Or did you have to pour milk in it, too? The reason I ask is because I never noticed anyone mix milk in with that stuff.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
The ratios are on the can. And I've seen the stuff at my local mega mart and Wal Mart. It's with the 10 gallon 1,000 Island Dressing and the "Float a boat in it" BBQ sauce.

And the garbage-can sized jars of pickled eggs and pickled pigs' feet.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Hey dude, do you remember how you used to prepare the liquid cheese from the big industrial cans? Did you just pour it into a pot and heat it up and serve it? Or did you have to pour milk in it, too? The reason I ask is because I never noticed anyone mix milk in with that stuff.

The stuff in the cans you buy in stores around here all require it. Basically the cheese is concentrated.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

The stuff we bought was strictly heat (and reheat and reheat and reheat) and serve. No added milk.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Go to Wal-Mart and shop the industrial/food service aisle. You will find exactly what you are looking for in 5lb+ cans. The jalapenos are there too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/El-Mexicano-Nach...e-6-lb/10313275

Big honking can of nacho cheese ^^

I had no idea Walmart sold that stuff, I'm gonna have to try and find it there, cause I bet it'll be cheaper than at GFS. :) About how much is a can like that? The price doesn't show up on my cell phone, but I'm hoping it's not more than $6 or $7 bucks. :)

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)

Thanks, dude. :) I'm really looking forward to having taco salad this Thursday just like how it was made in high school. :)

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
I had no idea Walmart sold that stuff, I'm gonna have to try and find it there, cause I bet it'll be cheaper than at GFS. :) About how much is a can like that? The price doesn't show up on my cell phone, but I'm hoping it's not more than $6 or $7 bucks. :)

I think it's more than that, but these are friggin' huge cans.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)

Gfs is basically wholesale that is open to the public. We used to go to the gfs on 78th and cicero (we owned a concession trailer for several years) and the cans ranged anywhere from $5.50 to $ 6.50. The price cannot be be beat anywhere, at least that has always been the case. There also is definitely no milk added.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Ach, I dream of being able to drop out of society for a couple months and just do the Key West thing. Then again, I make a$$less leather chaps looks good, so it's just something I hate to waste.

:unsure:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I'll make it easy on you and meet you in Key West.

Seriously. . . when do you want to meet up in Key West???

:drink

I was about to say I'd rather meet up in the Carolinas, we are considering a 13 Colonies summer trip, but after reading this . . .

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Ach, I dream of being able to drop out of society for a couple months and just do the Key West thing. Then again, I make a$less leather chaps looks good, so it's just something I hate to waste.

:unsure:

Maybe Key West would be better sunshine buttercup ;)