Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Atleast the Detroit-New England game should be entertaining.

I doubt it.

I wouldn't be fooled by what Cleveland did to New England today, that almost never happens and would be shocked if it did again..

Also, how can Jerry Jones NOT fire Wade Phillips now? They have been run off the field three games in a row.. tonight they clearly showed that they have quit.. at least for the sake of a possible spark that can prevent them from getting throttled every week, you think he would owe that to the fans..

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Packers played a solid game against the Cowboys, really don't have one negative about how the team played, granted the Cowboys are just bad.

Nice to see we have finally cut down on the penalties in the last 3 games and are starting to force more turnovers on defense. Bishop, Peprah & Shields have all filled in nicely on defense.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 06:34 AM)
It's nice to see the Bears actually run the ball. The problem.... they still sucked at it against the worst run defense in the league. The backs (Cutler not included) ran for an amazing 66 yards.

Now we know why Martz refuses to run the ball. He tried it against the worst run D and it didn't work. It won't look any better against the other 30 teams in the league.

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
I doubt it.

I wouldn't be fooled by what Cleveland did to New England today, that almost never happens and would be shocked if it did again..

Also, how can Jerry Jones NOT fire Wade Phillips now? They have been run off the field three games in a row.. tonight they clearly showed that they have quit.. at least for the sake of a possible spark that can prevent them from getting throttled every week, you think he would owe that to the fans..

Detroit is actually a very fun team to watch when Stafford is not injured though. They still shoot themselves in the foot way too much but that team has some upper level young talent and they're an exciting team to see every Sunday.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:34 AM)
It's nice to see the Bears actually run the ball. The problem.... they still sucked at it against the worst run defense in the league. The backs (Cutler not included) ran for an amazing 66 yards.

It takes time to run the ball effectively. Bears had some nice carries on the day and things worked out well, imo. Might not have been the best rushing attack ever, but you know what, It kept the opposition honest and Cutler was hit a hell of a lot less this week. If the Bears can consistently work on running the ball things should continue to get better, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
It takes time to run the ball effectively. Bears had some nice carries on the day and things worked out well, imo. Might not have been the best rushing attack ever, but you know what, It kept the opposition honest and Cutler was hit a hell of a lot less this week. If the Bears can consistently work on running the ball things should continue to get better, imo.

Disagreed. There were tons of times where Cutler still had to throw off the back foot. Not, he did it because he wanted to, but literally had to throw off the back foot. 66 yards and I believe 31 carries is awful. It's not the RB's, it's the O-Line.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
Disagreed. There were tons of times where Cutler still had to throw off the back foot. Not, he did it because he wanted to, but literally had to throw off the back foot. 66 yards and I believe 31 carries is awful. It's not the RB's, it's the O-Line.

I will disagree. Jay did throw off his back foot at times, but every QB in the league will have some pressure. Jay was not getting hit yesterday and that is the first time in a while that I could say that.

Only time I got frustrated was on the play where we fumbled I felt we were going away from the run a bit, but than right after that we started running again. It will take a few weeks of actually running the ball before you will really see the differences. Teams will blitz less, more passing lanes will open, and the Bears oline should be able to get in a rushing groove.

Oline also had quite a few sets where they did a nice job picking up big time blitzes and Jay had enough time to deliver nice strikes. Hell, that was probably the biggest difference of the game, Bears picked up the blitz enough for Jay to make plays instead of Jay to force plays which turned into picks.

Cutler played one of his smartest games in a Bears uniform as well, imo.

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:02 AM)
I doubt it.

The only reason you should be doubting it is because of Stafford's injury, if he was playing, that would be a pretty good game to watch

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
I hope Buffalo goes winless just so Dallas doesnt get the top pick.

Has there ever been a team that needed a top pick less than Dallas? Seriously, when you look at Buffalo right now, you might or might not think they have promise, but you're never going to say "That's a team that is loaded with talent". You're going to say "that team might go somewhere if they had enough talent" (if you actually like any part of their organization).

Dallas on the other hand...does anyone look at them and think "they have a good system but they just don't have enough talented players?" "If that team lands 1 more top pick, watch out?"

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Detroit is actually a very fun team to watch when Stafford is not injured though. They still shoot themselves in the foot way too much but that team has some upper level young talent and they're an exciting team to see every Sunday.

Problem is he is injured often..

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Has there ever been a team that needed a top pick less than Dallas? Seriously, when you look at Buffalo right now, you might or might not think they have promise, but you're never going to say "That's a team that is loaded with talent". You're going to say "that team might go somewhere if they had enough talent" (if you actually like any part of their organization).

Dallas on the other hand...does anyone look at them and think "they have a good system but they just don't have enough talented players?" "If that team lands 1 more top pick, watch out?"

Do they have talented players? Yes. Is the majority of their "talent" overrated because they are the Cowboys and the media kisses their ass on a weekly basis? Yes. They shouldn't be 1-7, but if they hadn't been pegged as Super Bowl contenders at the beginning of EVERY season, despite not winning a single playoff game in 15 years, this wouldn't look as bad as it does.

And I thought Collinsworth made a pretty good point last night. They've changed gears so many times over the years - offensive coach, defensive coach, game day coach who relies on coordinators, etc. Nothing has worked. Maybe the problem isn't coaching but the atmosphere and type of players they bring in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
Do they have talented players? Yes. Is the majority of their "talent" overrated because they are the Cowboys and the media kisses their ass on a weekly basis? Yes. They shouldn't be 1-7, but if they hadn't been pegged as Super Bowl contenders at the beginning of EVERY season, despite not winning a single playoff game in 15 years, this wouldn't look as bad as it does.

And I thought Collinsworth made a pretty good point last night. They've changed gears so many times over the years - offensive coach, defensive coach, game day coach who relies on coordinators, etc. Nothing has worked. Maybe the problem isn't coaching but the atmosphere and type of players they bring in.

They won a playoff game last year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)

Exactly my point...what good is a #1 pick going to do for Dallas if the problem isn't the talent level, it's the atmosphere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)

It takes run blocking to run effectively, something the Bears can't do. At all.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
I forgot the new OT rules. what are they again?

In the playoffs...if a team wins the toss, moves down the field and kicks a field goal, the other team gets a possession to match, or to get a touchdown to win.

The motivation was...the occasional, but extant, "game that is decided entirely because a team wins the toss".

Nothing changed in the Regular season yet. But, it is a good rule and I hope it gets put in there as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
In the playoffs...if a team wins the toss, moves down the field and kicks a field goal, the other team gets a possession to match, or to get a touchdown to win.

The motivation was...the occasional, but extant, "game that is decided entirely because a team wins the toss".

Nothing changed in the Regular season yet. But, it is a good rule and I hope it gets put in there as well.

I definitely prefer the current sudden death format, make a play on defense or lose. However, field goal kickers have become so accurate that I don't mind the new playoff rule as much. Teams need only to get to the 30-35 yard line and you have pretty good odds that your kicker nails it.

I am fine with a team losing if they give up a TD on the first drive. I don't care if you never got the ball, don't let the other team march the length of the field.