ESPN Predictions

striker

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Jim Caple picking Giants over Twins, way to be different

Yeah, and him and someone else picked the phillies to finish out of the playoffs. They must also be predicting a team bus crash...

As currently constructed, I pretty much agree with this. I think we are a little better than 50/50 shot to win the division.

Unless we add a serious bat like Adrian Gonzalez, it doesn't seem like we're at the same level as the teams in the East.

I must be one of the few who sees the Yankees as an aging team that is due to see some injuries rear their ugly head, esp with guys like Sabathia, Pettitte and Burnett. And Boston has some big health concerns with Beckett, Dice-K and Lackey (who has a nasty habit of getting hurt). Injuries are always a wild card and can strike any team, but older teams certainly seem more prone.

I must be one of the few who sees the Yankees as an aging team that is due to see some injuries rear their ugly head, esp with guys like Sabathia, Pettitte and Burnett. And Boston has some big health concerns with Beckett, Dice-K and Lackey (who has a nasty habit of getting hurt). Injuries are always a wild card and can strike any team, but older teams certainly seem more prone.

Actually I recall seeing that in a couple of places. I don´t think their farm system is all that great either.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Chris Singleton picked the White Sox. That's all that really matters in my book.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Quite a few of them picked the Reds to win the NL Central. Found that a tad strange.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)

Plus, people are expecting Vazquez to put up an ERA near 3.5, if not lower.

People get fooled by one good year all the time...

He's back in the AL, where his resume has been crap and to add onto that, he's pitching in Yankee Stadium. A ERA to expect is one around 4, but some people don't listen.

Vazquez says he's matured. I don't believe that for a second when the guy's in his 30s and he was still lacking the balls to pitch just two years ago.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)

4 Yankee hitters are over 30 (and I think they are just hoping Johnson stays healthy), 3 Yankee SP's are over 30, but Burnett is the only pitcher in their rotation who has ever had any major arm trouble, and Park and Marte are the only real old ones in the pen (I don't count Rivera simply because age has yet to slow him down and he has been injured like once). I don't think they are nearly as old as you make them out to be.

I could see age slowing down the Red Sox offense (7 regulars over 30, plus Hall, Varitek, and Lowell), but they still have quite a bit of depth to deal with those injuries. They just have a lot of depth up and down their roster. That's what spending $150 mill (or whatever it is) wisely does for a franchise.