Are we finally over Maggs hate?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Word.

I loved the guy until he lied to the fans and the organization, both about himself, and what had gone on. Its one thing to want more money, it is another to be a total lowlife about it.

^This. I never had a problem with him leaving the organization for more money, I had a problem with the way he left.

I think everyone here should love Mags and not only for what he did during his time with the Sox. If he hadn't turned down our offers, we never would have won in 2005. Between the money Mags would have gotten and Carlos Lee's money, we were able to get AJ, Iguchi, El Duque, Pods, Viz and Dye. Losing him gave us great flexibility back when we only had a $70 million payroll and allowed us to fill so many holes and become a complete team. Thanks again Mags.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
1) he had an interview during the 2005 Wolrd Series indicating how he was jealous to be sitting at home watching his former teammates, and felt like he should've been there. That's like finding out She had a crush on you after all, except now you're off at separate colleges. So in that respect, I'm good

I see it another way. Ordonez is like the jealous ex when he/she finds out that your much more happier with your new love.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Word.

I loved the guy until he lied to the fans and the organization, both about himself, and what had gone on. Its one thing to want more money, it is another to be a total lowlife about it.

I totally agree

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
OK Mods, I am going to dance around this as much as I can and if one of you think it's against the rules please delete immediately... I think, looking back, especially at his upper body in his first year with the Tigers, Maggs might have been getting some help that many of us rip other players for using

Didn't Canseco name him?

It largely got forgotten because he was trying to blackmail Maggs. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/sports/b.../24canseco.html

Edited by Steve9347

Here is how I remember Maggs over time:

1) Hit well in the minors for several years before coming to the big leagues (a bitter Ozzie, having just left the Sox, said something to the effect of "The White Sox don't bring him up because he is Venezuelan...")

2) A consistent statistical force in the middle of the line-up: .300, 30, 100 given each season. Met him once and he was very nice, though very quiet. Seemed to be a humble guy that just went about his business

3) Felt like the Sox weren't being loyal to a guy after he got hurt as I felt they should have stuck by him a little more with at least an incentive-laden deal (seems like the truth is different that what I perceived).

4) When he left, I felt like he was done as a top-end guy any way with the knee injury so didn't care much from a performance perspective but felt he was disrespected by the Sox

5) Found his comment after we won the World Series to be interesting and made me re-think my anger at how mgmt treated him. If I remember correctly, he said "If I knew they were going to win the World Series, I never would have left." Hmmm, so it was he who left and not the Sox who showed him the door.

6) Very happy he didn't win Series with Detroit in '06

7) Canseco story came out and immediately, I thought he was guilty. Perhaps due to feeling duped by him and also the numbers he was putting up, which were unexpected. He seemed to come out of nowhere to start hitting in the minors and then put up some incredible numbers in the majors and then he recovered quickly from some "Austrian" knee surgery. Canseco is a douche but he's been pretty much dead-on with all the players he has named as he likely is in the know from the baseball inside circle.

Today, I don't think I really care or have even followed what Maggs has been doing since he was being benched the last couple years so that Detroit could avoid some plate appearance incentives. I am not sure if I hate Maggs or ever really hated him. I was always more vengeful of him meaning that I didn't want him to succeed once he left the Sox.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Here is how I remember Maggs over time:

1) Hit well in the minors for several years before coming to the big leagues (a bitter Ozzie, having just left the Sox, said something to the effect of "The White Sox don't bring him up because he is Venezuelan...")

2) A consistent statistical force in the middle of the line-up: .300, 30, 100 given each season. Met him once and he was very nice, though very quiet. Seemed to be a humble guy that just went about his business

3) Felt like the Sox weren't being loyal to a guy after he got hurt as I felt they should have stuck by him a little more with at least an incentive-laden deal (seems like the truth is different that what I perceived).

4) When he left, I felt like he was done as a top-end guy any way with the knee injury so didn't care much from a performance perspective but felt he was disrespected by the Sox

5) Found his comment after we won the World Series to be interesting and made me re-think my anger at how mgmt treated him. If I remember correctly, he said "If I knew they were going to win the World Series, I never would have left." Hmmm, so it was he who left and not the Sox who showed him the door.

6) Very happy he didn't win Series with Detroit in '06

7) Canseco story came out and immediately, I thought he was guilty. Perhaps due to feeling duped by him and also the numbers he was putting up, which were unexpected. He seemed to come out of nowhere to start hitting in the minors and then put up some incredible numbers in the majors and then he recovered quickly from some "Austrian" knee surgery. Canseco is a douche but he's been pretty much dead-on with all the players he has named as he likely is in the know from the baseball inside circle.

Today, I don't think I really care or have even followed what Maggs has been doing since he was being benched the last couple years so that Detroit could avoid some plate appearance incentives. I am not sure if I hate Maggs or ever really hated him. I was always more vengeful of him meaning that I didn't want him to succeed once he left the Sox.

Kenny Williams left a big contract extention on the table even after his injury. Ozzie even met with him in person to emphasize that he wanted him back, and how big it was of the Sox to still offer him a lot of money, even after his massive knee injury.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
how was maggs a lowlife about it again or what did he lie about? i'm fuzzy on the details for some reason. might've just blocked it out after '05.

The thing that really pissed me off was that he kept insisting he wanted to come back to the Sox but then did everything he could to make sure the Sox couldn't sign him. For example, he refused to give the Sox a chance to even examine his knee after the 2004 season; the first time anyone's doctors got to check out his injury was when Detroit and the Cubs were trying to sign him.

He made decisions that he felt were in his best interest. I know I wouldn't trust my medical decisions to my employer. he showed no more or less loyalty to the team than the team has shown to players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
Would you trust them to Scott Boras instead?

No. But given the resources to do so, I would travel the globe for who I felt offered the best chance of sucess.