HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Obviously Rock is saying that he believes Niemi is a 1 hit wonder.

I disagree, I think the guy may be legit and if he can take the Hawks to the finals itd be hard to give up on him.

I honestly dont think that, but I'm trying to make a decision outside of the box at this point. We have to give up alot of skaters because of the cap hit we are going to take, I'd like to think that Niemi is one of the more valuable pieces that we could actually move if needed.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Rock that the way he is playing, he will be out of the price range for the Hawks. Some team can offer him 3+ mil. We net draft picks back if we don't match. At this point, that will be a very tough decision especially when we still have to move Huet, Sopel, etc.. perhaps even 1 or 2 of Sharp/Versteeg/Byfuglien/Bolland.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I dont know the numbers.

Id just rather not give up on a young good goalie. If that means other pieces have to go, so be it (imo). But as long as the Hawks can keep their core group together and have a solid goalie, they have a chance to compete.

That is why I suggested trading for one with enormous potential. If i'm trading guys like Versteeg/Sharp/Byfuglien/Bolland/etc.. I would want a young franchise goalie back (like a Bernier, Schneider, Price, etc..) or you keep Niemi and draft a goalie to groom for the long haul if the brass doesn't feel Niemi is the future/doesn't have that much upside.

Montreal has to make a decision on Halak as well as he is playing out of his mind right now, and will also cost alot as a RFA and they still have Price. (though I would think they want to keep Halak) Other teams as well.

Edited by SoxAce

This is such backwards thinking. The Blackhawks have sunk so much money into goaltending without finding the answer of late (see khabibulin/huet). Last year we had 12 mill in JUST GOALTENDERS.

You have the possibility of paying someone to take Huet (draft picks/prospects) and having Niemi locked up on the cheap. Niemi seems like a fine goaltender for now, and if he keeps it up there'd be zero reason to trade him.

I gotta agree with Steve on this one. I'm buying Niemi as our goalie of the future. Obviously it helps that he has one of the best defenses in front of him, but he also just stopped 44 of 45 shots against the #1 team in the West. He's showing a lot of promise.

And I am absolutely 100% against trading for Carey Price.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Except if the Hawks win the Cup, Niemi isn't going to be able to be "locked up on the cheap"

He is a RFA. With a Stanley Cup on his resume, he could presumably make 3.5-4.5 a season.

Which is half the amount that we've been signing goaltenders for over the last 5 seasons...

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Is the game only on VS again??

Yes.

Both teams with some great opportunities early. Nabokov and Niemi making some huge saves. Eager/Madden/Burish getting WAY too much playing time early.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Thorton pulled someone down with his stick, of course the refs miss it.

how in the world did they miss that ? He yanked bolland down right in the middle of the ice....

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Thornton pulled someone down with his stick, of course the refs miss it.

He slashed Bolland first, then literally pulled him off his skates by yanking at his stick. At it was with no one around either of them.

That tired me out just watching it.

Niemi.....WOW

Not sure what to say about the conversation of moving him but Huet will not be on the payroll next year.

Without Niemi's play thus far there is no doubt the Hawks lose game one and are behind in this one. The key is he is still on his skates more than earlier in the year. Stephan Waite is looking like Don Cooper right now.

Edited by Jenks Heat