May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/disc...e-mariners.html

Just substitute White Sox pathetic offense for M's. (MINUS FIRED hitting coach, former UT QB Alan Cockrell).

Feels like we're in the offseason again looking for Thome's replacement with this list. Deja vu.

Any names even worth debating? I guess the O's would make sense (for a lot of teams) as a trade partner, but probably not the Indians and Royals. Then again, we love our trades with KC.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I expected this team to suck, I find it pretty mind boggling that there is a very real chance we'll leave Target Field on May 12th 10 games out of first. I never thought I'd see the day where mid-May wouldn't be too early to start the fire sale/major trading of veterans talk, but that will be the case if things go poorly in the next couple of days.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I know Freddy has a track record vs. Minnesota, but I really wish they would skip him tomorrow. With two days off this week, this is a perfect opportunity to manipulate the pitching rotation to favor us...We could even skip him twice this week if need-be. He is 1-7 in his last 8 starts vs. KC as well.

I wouldn't say they "murder" him. He's very hit or miss against the Twins, either he's great or horrible. Dating back to 2006 he's had 9 good outings and 8 bad outings against he Twins. When he was good he was very good (typically early in the year) and when he was bad he was real bad (typically later in the year).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I wouldn't say they "murder" him. He's very hit or miss against the Twins, either he's great or horrible. Dating back to 2006 he's had 9 good outings and 8 bad outings against he Twins. When he was good he was very good (typically early in the year) and when he was bad he was real bad (typically later in the year).

I recall, I think it was 2006 or 2007, MB gave up something like 7 runs in the first inning - stayed in the game - and beat the Twins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
Man, what a screwed up schedule we have the next couple weeks.

Offday

2 @ Minn

Offday

Stretch of 16 games in a row, starting with:

3 @ KC

2 @ Detroit

2 home vs. LAA

Interleague series home vs. FLA

7 game road trip through Cleveland and Tampa

How often do you see a 5 game home stand?

I don't get why Wednesday's game is a 12:00 start. Both teams have off on Thursday and are then traveling to Kansas City or New York, so its not like they need the extra time for travel purposes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
I recall, I think it was 2006 or 2007, MB gave up something like 7 runs in the first inning - stayed in the game - and beat the Twins.

Didn't we complete a triple play in that game too??? I remember that game being ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)

Actually, I knew that he gets hit hard by them sometimes, but I went over the top because I couldn't find his career stats and I knew that by posting like that, that you'd find me the stats in order to correct me.

Thanks! :cheers

QUOTE (knightni @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
But, the Twins historically murder Buehrle.

D1 typically gets murdered by Mauer and Morneau as well. 5.13 ERA, 1.52 WHIP against the Twins career, nearly identical 5.17 ERA against them last season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Didn't we complete a triple play in that game too??? I remember that game being ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

Great memories. May 14, 2006. Dye hit a 3-run homer in the 1st, Twins put up 7 runs (6 unearned runs) in the first. Sox put up 1 in the 3rd (Thome homer), 5 in the 4th (AJP homer plus a few other things), and turned a triple play in the bottom of the 6th.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)

Yep, it was the day after I got engaged. I was happy that my engagement didn't curse the franchise for good!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
Man, what a screwed up schedule we have the next couple weeks.

Offday

2 @ Minn

Offday

Stretch of 16 games in a row, starting with:

3 @ KC

2 @ Detroit

2 home vs. LAA

Interleague series home vs. FLA

7 game road trip through Cleveland and Tampa

How often do you see a 5 game home stand?

The Cardinals have a 3 game home stand followed by a 3 game road trip this week.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Well when you consider the question what is it good for (absolutely nothing), I can't take such a fact seriously. He's still having a great season so far though.

That joke is starting to get old.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
What is WAR by the way? Wins about replacement? And how do you measure that?

Yup.

You calculate it by taking a batter's weighted on base average (wOBA) and converting it to runs produced on offense. Then you take UZR and convert it into runs saved on defense. Add them together, add the replacement level production, add a position adjustment value, and you have your runs above replacement. Every 10 runs = 1 win share.

Rios has a 1.8 WAR right now, meaning he has produced/saved 18 runs above replacement level production.

Apparently the sox signed Alan Embree to a minor league deal this morning. Probably just a little extra lefty insurance just in case, especially after looking at his numbers last year, but either way it doesn't hurt having him around just in case.

QUOTE (soxfan22 @ May 12, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Apparently the sox signed Alan Embree to a minor league deal this morning. Probably just a little extra lefty insurance just in case, especially after looking at his numbers last year, but either way it doesn't hurt having him around just in case.

Happened a few days ago, there is a thread in PHT discussing it.