Reasons we can catch the Twins

caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 20, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
Nix kicked my faith in him in the balls last night.

dude kicked everyone in the balls last night. He just happened to use an iron toe shoe for you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 20, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)
Reason #25. Jayson Nix at 3rd.

I was at that game last night!

I'll add Reason #26 to this thread! Nix "ANYWHERE" besides Triple AAA I could give 2 cents whether this guy can play 75 different positions at a sub-par level, and they keep him just to give others an occasional rest. Offensively and defensively, the guy's overall reliability is just plain crap!

You can toss him in the boiling pot of "Potentail MaKers" that amount to nothing along with Danny Wright, Brian Anderson, and Lillibridge.

(Unfortunately, we still haven't learned our lesson with Lillibridge yet. I'll guarantee that they'll bring him up a couple of more times, watch him strike out and hit a ton of WEAK ground balls before they finally "Get It" with this guy!)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
#1 Reason: TCQ and Beckham are gonna start hitting like they are capable of and we will start winning games like todays.

If that doesn't happen, then thank god for the Hawks & the World Cup to hold me over til Bears training camp, cause this team will be going nowhere.

The Bears are just another disappointing Chicago team, along with the White Sox and Cubs. If the Bulls land LeBron, it will mean that Chicago will have two great teams in the sports that I don't care much for (Hockey and Basketball), while the Chicago teams in the sports I care about (Baseball and Football) will continue to be non-factors. It's like the early 90's again.

The pitching should pick up, I have more faith in that happening (e.g Buehrle and Floyd getting it together) than I do of the offense getting it's mojo back, even though it should improve as we get into summer (which for some reason always seems to be a big issue for the White Sox hitters).

I think Minny is just going to be too good this season though, and that's what most people probably thought going into the season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 20, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)
Absolutely true. But the problem is the individual players aren't bad defensive players (with the exception of Teahen) but they seem to take turns screwing up.

This has ben the 2nd most suprising thing to me with this club so far, Beckham struggling so much has to be #1.

I thought, and even discussed I think, on a couple of threads that while I didn't think that we would be the best defensive team in the league, I definitely thought that we would be above average. Maybe I had false expectations but:

A.J. = has looked like he's slipped some defensively

Pauly = still looks above average to me at first (scooping & throwing anyway)

Beckam = seems to have good range for 2nd but I haven't been impressed

Ramirez = I thought that he would get more consistant and that hasn't happened

Teahen = I wasn't sure what he would hit, but I thought that he was at least better defensively then he has shown.

Pierre = about what I expected, not great, but can occaisionally run a ball down.

Rios = Just what I expected.

Quentin = Looks like he has lost something to me defensively. thought he'd be just a bit better than he's played.

Jones = Has looked good defensively to me, wish he could play RF more.

Pauly, Pierre, and Rios are the only ones playing to their potential defensively in my opinion. Ramirez, Teahen, and A.J. are the biggest disappointments to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Isn't Nix acceptable at 2B? He's not that big a butcher there is he?

He's not supposed to be. But it's worth noting that he had 6 errors at 2b last year in about 50 games at the position. If he kept up that exact pace for a full season, he'd have led MLB in errors for 2b. Yeah, that's not all of it, and he had a positive UZR there last year so he does make up for some of the errors by covering a lot of ground, but I wouldn't ignore the errors there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
He's not supposed to be. But it's worth noting that he had 6 errors at 2b last year in about 50 games at the position. If he kept up that exact pace for a full season, he'd have led MLB in errors for 2b. Yeah, that's not all of it, and he had a positive UZR there last year so he does make up for some of the errors by covering a lot of ground, but I wouldn't ignore the errors there.

He is not suppose to be great at SS and 3B, two positions he never played in his career prior to last season (not counting the occasional LF, etc.. as well) Hard to get in a groove at 2B also when you only play once.. maybe twice a week (or 2 weeks), not to mention are consistently being moved around. Like you pointed out though, his UZR was still pretty good with all that happening. Imagine if he stayed there, playing everyday, at one position the whole season.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
He is not suppose to be great at SS and 3B, two positions he never played in his career prior to last season (not counting the occasional LF, etc.. as well) Hard to get in a groove at 2B also when you only play once.. maybe twice a week (or 2 weeks), not to mention are consistently being moved around. Like you pointed out though, his UZR was still pretty good with all that happening. Imagine if he stayed there, playing everyday, at one position the whole season.

Probably also worth noting that high error totals/fairly low fielding percentages were pretty commonplace for Nix coming up through the minors as well. His career FP at 2b in the big leagues is .973, in the minors at 2b it was .972.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Probably also worth noting that high error totals/fairly low fielding percentages were pretty commonplace for Nix coming up through the minors as well. His career FP at 2b in the big leagues is .973, in the minors at 2b it was .972.

Nice find. So he was pretty much equal to his career average as a fielder. It is to be expected when you have incredible range at a position. Jose Valentin comes to mind even though he was making like 30+ errors a season. He had great range at SS however. Mostly the simple plays you lose focus more than the harder ones.

Edited by SoxAce

Here is more of a realistic formula.

1.) Magic - Maybe a spell, a curse, or some other wishing potion might wreck both the twins and the tigers.

2.) Act of God - Natural disaster, end of the world type s***.

3.) Ped use - Maybe their the nutritionist gets caught spiking horsey testy juice to all of their good players. All at the same time.

4.) Intimidation - Maybe the Chicago outfit can start to pressure the other teams to give it up, make an offer they can't refuse.

5.) Massive injuries to large parts of their teams and to most of their minor leagues at the same time.

In reality. Just hit the f***ing ball like you have a pair, and catch it like you don't have two stone hands. That should do wonders for the winning percentage.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Nice find. So he was pretty much equal to his career average as a fielder. It is to be expected when you have incredible range at a position. Jose Valentin comes to mind even though he was making like 30+ errors a season. He had great range at SS however. Mostly the simple plays you lose focus more than the harder ones.

The problem with being that kind of fielder though is...if you lose a step at all, then suddenly you're worthless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
The problem with being that kind of fielder though is...if you lose a step at all, then suddenly you're worthless.

Depends if you can't hit too though. Vizquel has lost about 5 steps and is still very good defensively at age 44. Can't hit a lick like he used to however, which would put him in a "worthless" category to some people out there.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Depends if you can't hit too though. Vizquel has lost about 5 steps and is still very good defensively at age 44.

Vizquel is an interesting comparison though, because, despite being at what I'd say is a harder position, he doesn't make that many errors. He hasn't made an error since 2008. In 2006 he made 4 errors as SS for the entire bloody season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
Vizquel is an interesting comparison though, because, despite being at what I'd say is a harder position, he doesn't make that many errors. He hasn't made an error since 2008. In 2006 he made 4 errors as SS for the entire bloody season.

And that is why he is a HOF, not to mention still gets a gig in this game at his age.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)

Like Teahen at 3B?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Here is more of a realistic formula.

1.) Magic - Maybe a spell, a curse, or some other wishing potion might wreck both the twins and the tigers.

2.) Act of God - Natural disaster, end of the world type s***.

3.) Ped use - Maybe their the nutritionist gets caught spiking horsey testy juice to all of their good players. All at the same time.

4.) Intimidation - Maybe the Chicago outfit can start to pressure the other teams to give it up, make an offer they can't refuse.

5.) Massive injuries to large parts of their teams and to most of their minor leagues at the same time.

In reality. Just hit the f***ing ball like you have a pair, and catch it like you don't have two stone hands. That should do wonders for the winning percentage.

Ooh, I hope they use Alka-Seltzer tablets like in the Little Giants!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
And yet, it's even worse this year.

He won't be great no, but it is still early Balta. Just 3 weeks ago I remember Pierre was sportin a -1.9 UZR in LF. Now it is up to +6.4. (alot of that you can see in games with some of the plays he makes, and this is comming from someone who hates Pierre)