2010-2011 NHL thread

OK guys, let's cut the Luongo is a choker talk and how we are in his head, etc. and discuss technical aspects of Game Seven.

What do you see as technically the key to the Hawks winning?

Vancouver is going to be fired up beyond belief, probably even moreso than the Hawks, since Vancouver is the One Seed and THIS IS IT for them.

It's on their home ice where the Hawks flattened them, 5-0.

Is it all on our goalie? To have the first period of his life?

I fully expect the Canucks to pepper him with five or more picture-perfect shots that have a reasonable chance of going in, during the all-important first period. I'm saying they'll have more than five shots, of course, but at least five that could beat Crawford on a given night.

Can Crawford play the game of his life? Yes, I'm putting it all on Crawford, cause I feel the Canucks are going to out play the Hawks big time in period No. One.

Percentage wise, what chance do you give Chicago of winning?

30? 70? What??

Edited by greg775

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
OK guys, let's cut the Luongo is a choker talk and how we are in his head, etc. and discuss technical aspects of Game Seven.

Vancouver is going to be fired up beyond belief, probably even moreso than the Hawks, since Vancouver is the One Seed and THIS IS IT for them.

I fully expect the Canucks to pepper him with five or more picture-perfect shots that have a reasonable chance of going in, during the all-important first period. I'm saying they'll have more than five shots, of course, but at least five that could beat Crawford on a given night.

Can Crawford play the game of his life? Yes, I'm putting it all on Crawford, cause I feel the Canucks are going to out play the Hawks big time in period No. One.

30? 70? What??

60% chance. I think the Hawks momentum is huge right now, and I think the goalie problems in Vancouver will make them a little nervous.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)

30? 70? What??

Dont take any stupid penalties. The refs will probably be calling the game tight after Gillis's comments.

Matchups are key. We have the first change so the Canucks are going to put the Sedins on against our worst defensive line all game. Need to make quick shift changes and the D has to step up.

We also need to keep clogging the neutral zone and the space in front of our net to make the Sedins cycle game continue to be ineffective. Our breakouts will be crucial and our transition play has to be clean.

Survive the first wave the Canucks throw at you in the first. The crowd will probably be in it at the start, survive the first 10 or so and at least be 0-0. If you can somehow get a lead, you might take the air out of the place, Vancouver might start to panic, etc.

I feel like in all the game 7's I've watched, the games are generally low scoring. Penalty calls are a bit lower, kind of like OT, but not that drastic. So...

Stay out of the penalty box. The only acceptable calls are trips or hooks in your defensive zone when there's a scoring opportunity at hand. The Scott punch, the Kane high stick, any other retaliatory or stupid stick fouls in the offensive zone will kill you. Goals will probably be at a premium in this game, so don't give them PP opportunities that they don't "earn." Keep your hands and stick down when receiving/giving a check.

The few PP chances we do get, need to score on one of them. Vancouver has done a good job having their weak side D and/or weak side forward cut off the cross ice pass to the back door or far point. Don't force it. Work the one timer to the strong side D who can move towards the slot, or do a give and go down low with two forwards off the strong side if they are going to take that option away.

You are right in one respect, Crawford has to play well. If either goalie has a sloppy game, that team will lose, the end. I don't know that he has to steal it, but Crawford needs to stop everything he's supposed to stop, and maybe steal a few.

Limit the turnovers in the defensive and neutral zone. When in doubt, the safe play needs to be made. Off the glass, high out of the zone, etc. Also, keep getting out to the points to get some shot blocks. Last game our forwards got sucked down too much because of the Van cycle game. You can't cheat too much, you've got to rely on your 2 d and centers to take care of them down low. Can't let them sneak in and/or get good alleys for shots with no chance of a block. That started to kill us last game. Luckily, Vancouver missed the net on a bunch of them, and missed some tip opportunities. They took a lot more shots than we did. s*** like that goes in off tips and skates and everything else, as we've seen a few times, so limit it. Last night we got into trouble with too much "puck staring." Man to man down low, and man to man up high. Weak side winger can cheat a bit to the slot to help out, but you can't have such a cushion on their D. That's what resulted in the possession clinics at times.

If Vancouver takes the lead, don't panic, they've proven they can get back in it. The key last night was never falling behind by 2. They take the lead, you have to figure out a way to get the next one.

Bottom line, like I mentioned earlier, stars and leaders usually win game 7's. That's not to say Ben Smith won't somehow be a hero again. But to win these big games, your star players have to outplay (or at least match) their star players. That goes for goaltending, too. Toews and Kane (even Sharp) have yet to really dominate a game. This would be a great time to do so, and they are WAY overdue.

Also, hope the puck bounces our way a time or two. Rebounds, odd deflections, posts, etc.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 04:13 AM)
Survive the first wave the Canucks throw at you in the first. The crowd will probably be in it at the start, survive the first 10 or so and at least be 0-0. If you can somehow get a lead, you might take the air out of the place, Vancouver might start to panic, etc.

I feel like in all the game 7's I've watched, the games are generally low scoring. Penalty calls are a bit lower, kind of like OT, but not that drastic. So...

Stay out of the penalty box. The only acceptable calls are trips or hooks in your defensive zone when there's a scoring opportunity at hand. The Scott punch, the Kane high stick, any other retaliatory or stupid stick fouls in the offensive zone will kill you. Goals will probably be at a premium in this game, so don't give them PP opportunities that they don't "earn." Keep your hands and stick down when receiving/giving a check.

The few PP chances we do get, need to score on one of them. Vancouver has done a good job having their weak side D and/or weak side forward cut off the cross ice pass to the back door or far point. Don't force it. Work the one timer to the strong side D who can move towards the slot, or do a give and go down low with two forwards off the strong side if they are going to take that option away.

You are right in one respect, Crawford has to play well. If either goalie has a sloppy game, that team will lose, the end. I don't know that he has to steal it, but Crawford needs to stop everything he's supposed to stop, and maybe steal a few.

Limit the turnovers in the defensive and neutral zone. When in doubt, the safe play needs to be made. Off the glass, high out of the zone, etc. Also, keep getting out to the points to get some shot blocks. Last game our forwards got sucked down too much because of the Van cycle game. You can't cheat too much, you've got to rely on your 2 d and centers to take care of them down low. Can't let them sneak in and/or get good alleys for shots with no chance of a block. That started to kill us last game. Luckily, Vancouver missed the net on a bunch of them, and missed some tip opportunities. They took a lot more shots than we did. s*** like that goes in off tips and skates and everything else, as we've seen a few times, so limit it.

If Vancouver takes the lead, don't panic, they've proven they can get back in it. The key last night was never falling behind by 2. They take the lead, you have to figure out a way to get the next one.

Bottom line, like I mentioned earlier, stars and leaders usually win game 7's. That's not to say Ben Smith won't somehow be a hero again. But to win these big games, your star players have to outplay (or at least match) their star players. That goes for goaltending, too. Toews and Kane (even Sharp) have yet to really dominate a game. This would be a great time to do so, and they are WAY overdue.

Also, hope the puck bounces our way a time or two. Rebounds, odd deflections, posts, etc.

Wow, nice post.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
I said this for game 6 too(which obviously turned out to be wrong, thankfully) but the 1st goal in this game will be absolutely huge.

On the road, I think goal one is even more crucial. You don't wanna give the Canucks' fans anything to cheer about. In fact, a goal one from the Hawks could easily turn the Canucks' fans against the team.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
On the road, I think goal one is even more crucial. You don't wanna give the Canucks' fans anything to cheer about. In fact, a goal one from the Hawks could easily turn the Canucks' fans against the team.

Yeup, exactly my thought process. That building is going to deflate if we can manage the first goal. If they put one in the back of the net first though, everything changes.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
Yeup, exactly my thought process. That building is going to deflate if we can manage the first goal. If they put one in the back of the net first though, everything changes.

Yes yes yes.

I hope this team is fired up out of its goard.

For some reason I don't think the Canucks are deflated like one of the columnists said.

They still are playing the Hawks, the reigning champs, albeit a shadow of last year's team.

If we do get the first goal, however, the fans might be thinking about the epic choke after being up 3-0.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
I just heard Bickell had surgery on his wrist??? I didn't realize he hurt it last night

Yes he's out 6-8 weeks.

adamjahns Adam Jahns

In other words, Bickell played through severed tendons, had small window to play before further damage, surgery was planned.

Scored two goals in 2 games with a f***ed up wrist.. crazy and it's a big loss for the Hawks and he was injured before that it seems. In fact, a poster here called it and knows friends of Bickell if I can recall.

Yup here it is. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...987&st=1380 Props to SoxFanForever on announcing this a few days ago.

Edited by SoxAce

I think if ever Jonathan Toews was going to put his mark on a game, this game has to be the one for him.

Hasn't scored in the series yet, so if he can get on top of that battle against Kesler, that'll be a huge factor in this game IMO.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
I said this for game 6 too(which obviously turned out to be wrong, thankfully) but the 1st goal in this game will be absolutely huge.

More than that, they need to attack Luongo. Hell even run him early. Get in his head ASAP.

I think IlliniKrush hit the nail on the head, I hope Q checks the board and reads it too.

In the Chicago media, it seems that the Hawks comeback and Canucks collapse are predestined, which is making me nervous about the outcome. It is a game 7, anything can happen. Get it done boys, Niemi & the Sharks are waiting.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
I think IlliniKrush hit the nail on the head, I hope Q checks the board and reads it too.

In the Chicago media, it seems that the Hawks comeback and Canucks collapse are predestined, which is making me nervous about the outcome. It is a game 7, anything can happen. Get it done boys, Niemi & the Sharks are waiting.

There is no way this team thinks this series is over.

Scoring first. That is all that matters. You can't fall behind to the Canucks, normally, and get away with it.

30? 70? What??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
There is no way this team thinks this series is over.

No doubt. I wasn't as much worried about the Hawks mental state going into the game as much as mine, lol. All the Nucks had to do was win 1 game out of 4, and they can still do that at home and make the last 3 games for naught. Only 12 more hours til puck drop!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
What is up with people thinking it's normal in the NHL to intentionally try to injure opposing players, let alone goaltenders?

I'm not talking about trying to injure him. I talking about getting traffic literally on top of him. Frustrate him.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Jay Zawaski - Can someone tell Mike Gillis that penalties are called as they're commited? Maybe if your team wasn't a bunch of sackless goons, your team would be out of the box.

It amazes me that a fanbase of a non-winning expansion team can be such a crazy bunch of idiots. Dont worry, they know more hockey than the whole city of chicago.

Regular Season Ranks for least penalties against.

Chicago Blackhawks - 1st

Vancouver Canucks - 24th

Maybe if their team played a more disciplined game, they wouldn't see the discrepancy. It's been proven over 88 games now that the Canucks take a lot of penalties and the Blackhawks do not.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

Chicago Blackhawks - 1st

Vancouver Canucks - 24th

Maybe if their team played a more disciplined game, they wouldn't see the discrepancy. It's been proven over 88 games now that the Canucks take a lot of penalties and the Blackhawks do not.

They had 200 more PIM than the hawks this season. Almost a thousand.

I also thought it was funny Gillis used the 10 min misconduct penalties for his "stats"

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

Chicago Blackhawks - 1st

Vancouver Canucks - 24th

More proof of the NHL conspiracy!