Hawkisms

BigSqwert

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bad guys lead two nothing, and the good guys are coming to bat

that was good morning good afternoon and good night.

HE GONE!!

he looks up you can put it on the board Yes! YES! HELL YEA!!

When the ball comes down, this ball game is OVA!!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Has anybody ever thought of what Whitesox baseball would be without Hawk? I'm not looking forward to the day Hawk either retires/dies. I'm going to cry like a little b**** when there's no more Hawk.

I'm certain that Hawk could be replaced by a guy working a soundboard and nobody would know the difference.

In fact, I would like it if whoever replaces Hawk uses a sound clip for home run calls.

QUOTE (greppson24ottondo @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Some old ones I haven't heard in awhile but loved...

"That's a Lance Johnson jump right there"

On an 0-2 count, "You gotta cinch it up and hunker down" or "bow your neck."

And my all-time favorite:

"You coulda hung out all the drawers in door county on that rope."

I have never heard that one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Has anybody ever thought of what Whitesox baseball would be without Hawk? I'm not looking forward to the day Hawk either retires/dies. I'm going to cry like a little b**** when there's no more Hawk.

That'll be the day I can watch White Sox baseball without it bearing near-unbearable.

STRETCH! STRETCH!

[rumble]

DAGGUMMITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

He was bearable to me until he lost the ability to judge any flyball and started compensating for it by yelling "stretch stretch!" and ending it with his trademark "DAGGUMMITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!" Which happens almost every inning.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
I tell you, each and every day he reminds me of one guy, with the way he plays and the way he is in the clubhouse, and that's Catfish...

His love of Catfish is my favorite, you could play drinking games and get bombed every game for the number of times he talks about Catfish.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
That'll be the day I can watch White Sox baseball without it bearing near-unbearable.

STRETCH! STRETCH!

[rumble]

DAGGUMMITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

He was bearable to me until he lost the ability to judge any flyball and started compensating for it by yelling "stretch stretch!" and ending it with his trademark "DAGGUMMITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!" Which happens almost every inning.

Except when it's the other team hitting fly balls. Soriano hit that homerun last week, and as soon as he hit it Hawk said, "Now that's a major league pop up." The ball then proceeded to land in the bullpen.

Not really Hawkisms, but two of my favorite all time Hawk moments are awkward passages with DJ (I'm paraphrasing):

Sometime in 2002 or so

DJ: "I really think we have a shot to win at Oakland this year."

Hawk: "....."

DJ: "I think this team could win two of three."

DJ: "....."

Hawk: "....WHY?..."

DJ: "I don't know don't you think this team could win this series?"

Hawk: "...."

Hawk: "......No....."

After a long rain delay in 2003 or 2004 at home

DJ: "I think it would be kind of interesting to start games at 9pm."

DJ: "You know, shake things up a bit"

(long 2 minute silence)

Hawk "....NO....."

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
That's hilarious. I enjoyed the friction between those two.

It definitely got awkward at times. It happens with DJ and Farmer now as well. DJ just says some weird s*** that leaves you saying in your head "WTF??" and then nothing comes out of your mouth and there's dead air.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
It definitely got awkward at times. It happens with DJ and Farmer now as well. DJ just says some weird s*** that leaves you saying in your head "WTF??" and then nothing comes out of your mouth and there's dead air.

I don't care what anyone says, I love DJ. Some of this s*** he says is so awkward and so ridiculous that it's absolutely hilarious.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
I don't care what anyone says, I love DJ. Some of this s*** he says is so awkward and so ridiculous that it's absolutely hilarious.

Yeah he's great, liked him on tv and like him on radio as well. The awkwardness is part of what makes him great too, it's very entertaining and that's a big part of the broadcast when you're doing something like baseball.