Hawk and Stoney worst broadcast booth in baseball (according to GQ)

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many types of announcers. Vin Scully calls the game as he sees it...and he's the best at it. No frills, no extras...just the game. Many announcers try to emulate him but just can't.

Then there's the guy you want to have a beer with. The guy who is your friend sitting next to you on the couch. The guy that knows what his fan base is. That is Hawk and that is why we love him. He may not be from the South Side of Chicago, but he understands our fans. That is why he is our guy and that is why other people hate him. And you know what...I could care less what GQ thinks. And my guess is...most Chicago White Sox fans only use GQ for kindling.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't get the fascination with Scully at times, he's just so damn boring. I'd rather just watch the game with nobody announcing.

Agreed. He talks TOO much...like he has to paint a picture for a radio audience.

Hawk and Stoney are pretty bad. Mostly its Hawk who is bad though, and I think Stone is a great color guy, who would be fantastic if the Sox got a real PBP guy in the booth. Even at their best Hawk and Stoney are color guys, they are just bad at PBP, leave way too much dead space, and spend far too much time going off on story tangents. I know Harrelson is a Sox institution at this point, but I'll be happy when he retires.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Even my MOM gets a kick outta Hawk...

But I can definitely understand how out of towners would hate him.

Screw them. We love the Hawkaroo!

I'm an in-towner and I hate Hawk. He's an embarrassing buffoon.

Stone is fantastic though.

Edited by DirtySox

There's that evil "folksy" thing I heard such bad things about in the last election. If saying 'atta boy' or 'jam city' or 'he gone' is folksy and bad, then I don't want to be good. I love the homerism of Hawk and when 'he gone', I hope they replace him with another homer. The only thing I could do without is some of his old timer stories, but the excitement or dissapointment in his voice when something good or bad happens makes up for his digressions once in a while. He is a fan of the team he's calling...I like that. It's why I listen to the radio call for Bears games. Ilike the annoucers feeling the same agony/joy that I do.

Stoney's great. Hawk, not so much. Although I love his home run call. Best in baseball.

That said, publications like GQ are very East-coast centric so it doesn't surprise me that they'd pick on somebody like us.

Hey, fun fact: in Texas, the Rangers games are broadcast on FM! I had the Sox/Rangers tuned in as I the game early there. It was STRANGE, it not being on AM.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
I'm an in-towner and I hate Hawk. He's an embarrassing buffoon.

Stone is fantastic though.

Hawk is great, his call at the 2005 World Series parade was awesome!! GQ must not have interviewed Catfish Hunter for its survey.

Hawk loves this team and that is fine by me.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Stoney's great. Hawk, not so much. Although I love his home run call. Best in baseball.

That said, publications like GQ are very East-coast centric so it doesn't surprise me that they'd pick on somebody like us.

Hey, fun fact: in Texas, the Rangers games are broadcast on FM! I had the Sox/Rangers tuned in as I the game early there. It was STRANGE, it not being on AM.

Same thing in Milwaukee. Whenever I drive to Wisco for the weekend, I always find the Brewers games on FM and catch some Bob Uecker for a while. Kinda sucks with him being out now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Same thing in Milwaukee. Whenever I drive to Wisco for the weekend, I always find the Brewers games on FM and catch some Bob Uecker for a while. Kinda sucks with him being out now.

I believe that the Score is going to start simulcasting on 105.9 FM pretty soon...

When he's talking about the Sox I love Hawk. And I can definitely understand how a non-Sox fan would hate him. When he starts going off about the umps or develops a bizarre fetish for s***ty opposing players like Carlos Gomez he's unbearable. I can't watch him when the Sox are losing to the Twins and I actually tune into the Twins broadcast sometimes to avoid him. Other than that, yeah, ill be sad when he retires.

I liked Hawk in the '80s and early '90s. But he's become really self-indulgent and his shtick has been stretched too far over the past decade or so. He's basically in post-stroke Harry Caray territory now: Not worth a whole lot in the booth anymore, but he's such an ingrained institution that showing him the door would be almost unthinkable at this point.

The Sox have one great and one good color commentator (Stone and Farmer, respectively). It's too bad that they don't have the play-by-play talent to match that.