Hawk and Stoney worst broadcast booth in baseball (according to GQ)

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
No offense, but I disagree with you about Arizona. Darren Sutton is the best announcer in all of baseball. He even is able to make a terrible team sound like they're having interesting games.

I don't mind Sutton at all...but Grace is pretty unbearable anymore IMO.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I don't know why people don't like Stone - yeah he's pretty dry, but he really knows his s***. "Uninsightful" is about the most inaccurate word to describe him I can think of. I especially like it when he says something like "now would be a good time for (pitcher) to use his splitter" and 10 seconds later is a swinging strike 3 on a splitter.

The only problem I have with Stoney is that his analysis of home runs are extremely obvious.

Example, "Marte leaves a fastball on the inside half and Quentin crushes it."

Steve, I see that it was a fastball and I see that it was on the inside half. And I definitely saw that Carlos crushed it.

I do like it when he predicts pitches though. He predicted that changeup from Kazmir to Quentin the other night flawlessly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Regardless of your opinion on Hawk, his impact is long lasting with the Hawkisms. You hear them all the time, it seems like some announcers use them and don't even realize it.

I've heard can o' corn on BBTN from time to time.

Hawk has the best HR call in all of baseball.

I've listened to hawk since he started with the Sox. It's all true. He is homer, and the dead air, whatever else you want to heap on him in negative way I won't argue with. But as a Sox fan I like a homer, I like the joy of a win and the pain of a loss he gives us. I dread a national telecast because we don't have Hawk to celebrate or suffer with. As for Stone? He was a cub so it is taking a while to warm up to him, but I am beginning to respect his insights. He is starteing to get excited by our run and I like the entusiasm. Go Hawk and go Sox!

Hawk is pretty bad. He seems to let his Shtick get in the way of broadcasting games. Recently he's been getting on my nerves a lot. For me, i'd say the best in the biz is Vin Scully, followed by Grace and Sutton for the D-Backs. The Rangers broadcasters are pretty good too.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Hawk is pretty bad. He seems to let his Shtick get in the way of broadcasting games. Recently he's been getting on my nerves a lot. For me, i'd say the best in the biz is Vin Scully, followed by Grace and Sutton for the D-Backs. The Rangers broadcasters are pretty good too.

Josh Lewin actually started with the Cubs I believe...he is good, as is Tom Grieve. Lewin is kind of a dork, but he is very knowledgeable in terms of what is going on around baseball. I don't have to cringe when I hear him talk about our players or other team's players, because he almost always gets it right.

Ken Harrelson is one of my inspirations as an announcer when I call games for sure. Between him, Pat Foley, and Bob Chase, I love fans of the team as guys who make the game fun. I want a fellow fan in the booth. I don't want to hear a guy who could care less if we win or not. When we are down I want to hear misery, and when we win I want to hear elation.

Don't forget - the Hawk is OUR announcer. He's not some guy hired to placate the rest of the world's taste in baseball announcing. He's here to describe Chicago White Sox baseball and cater to OUR fanbase, and nothing else. So for that unfortunate portion of the population on our planet who do not count themselves as fans of the White Sox and who then don't care for Hawk, I say "Who the heck cares! I certainly don't!". I can't and don't expect non-White Sox fans to enjoy Hawk's enthusiasm and what not for the Sox, but at the same time, as a big-time fan of the White Sox, I most certainly do. So any opinions coming Hawk and/or Stone Pony's way from outside of White Sox World is taken very much with the proverbial grain of salt, at least with me. And more often not, such opinions are just dismissed out of hand.

I can also see why some would hate listening to Hawk, but as most of you have said, I love hearing him. Living in Virginia, I get to hear the Nat's announcers quite a bit and honestly I don't think there's a worse group in the bunch...they are unbearable to listen to.

QUOTE (keninem @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
I can also see why some would hate listening to Hawk, but as most of you have said, I love hearing him. Living in Virginia, I get to hear the Nat's announcers quite a bit and honestly I don't think there's a worse group in the bunch...they are unbearable to listen to.

Amen to that. Though with MASN I get Baltimore's guys too and they are equally as bad.

Yeah, that list is crap. Hawk has his faults - moaning about balls and strikes, endless man-love for Yaz etc., but as a Sox fan I wouldn't trade him for any of the more objective (boring) alternatives. As many here have noted, a number of Hawkisms have found their way into the mainstream baseball lexicon, and that's the "most sincere form of flattery".

Here in Colorado, I have to endure the god-awful George Frazier as the so-called expert on Rockies' telecasts. Recently, the man actually tried to blame his manager (Jim Frey, I believe) for his total suckage while with the mid-80's Cubs, saying that he didn't know how to use a bullpen. Pathetic.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
Josh Lewin actually started with the Cubs I believe...he is good, as is Tom Grieve. Lewin is kind of a dork, but he is very knowledgeable in terms of what is going on around baseball. I don't have to cringe when I hear him talk about our players or other team's players, because he almost always gets it right.

i HATE Josh Lewin. I can't stand his voice and his divided loyalties. He does San Diego Charger football as well. PICK A GODDAMN CITY FOR CHRISSAKES!!!

As a Sox fan you have to love Hawk. He's been fun to listen to over the years. Vin Scully is the most overrated announcer. I've never liked him. The best Sox announcing team of all time was Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Two guys never had more fun in the booth and it carried over to the broadcasts.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
As a Sox fan you have to love Hawk. He's been fun to listen to over the years. Vin Scully is the most overrated announcer. I've never liked him. The best BASEBALL announcing team of all time was Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Two guys never had more fun in the booth and it carried over to the broadcasts.

Corrected. Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
As a Sox fan you have to love Hawk. He's been fun to listen to over the years. Vin Scully is the most overrated announcer. I've never liked him. The best Sox announcing team of all time was Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Two guys never had more fun in the booth and it carried over to the broadcasts.

With all due respect, if you don't like Scully, maybe you don't like baseball. :)