The Bars Thread

maggsmaggs

So last Friday night, me and a few buddies went to a couple of bars in Lincoln Park. The first one was McGee's and for me, it really was not the type of bar I enjoy. Too F'in loud, too collegey even though that's my age range. I prefer a more laid back bar, which is the one across the street whose name I do not know. Anyone got some bar suggestions or just ones you like?

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
If yall want to know about some cool bars in Knoxville or Memphis, I can contribute. Otherwise, I've got nothing since the majority of you are Chicago people. :P

What's the bar in downtown Memphis that has a bajillion beers on tap? That place was outstanding.

I will be following this thread for any bars near Lake Zurich, for in December I turn 21 and the first night of drinks is on my Dad as my gift and a fwe of the places we were lookin at shut down. Definitely want a place that has a large selection of beers, Ill get into the hard stuff at the store because I dont want to bankrupt my Dad lol.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
If yall want to know about some cool bars in Knoxville or Memphis, I can contribute. Otherwise, I've got nothing since the majority of you are Chicago people. :P

Sure. I could go for Knoxville bar recommendations. As long as I'm not beaten up or robbed by a major sports team recruit.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
So last Friday night, me and a few buddies went to a couple of bars in Lincoln Park. The first one was McGee's and for me, it really was not the type of bar I enjoy. Too F'in loud, too collegey even though that's my age range. I prefer a more laid back bar, which is the one across the street whose name I do not know. Anyone got some bar suggestions or just ones you like?

That bar across the street is probably Kelly's Pub. Not a huge beer selection but they have Guinness and they've been in business since the year Prohibition was repealed, so it gets high marks from me.

Before moving to the burbs a couple of months ago, my fiance and I always went to the Duke of Perth. Awesome all you can eat fish n chips deal on Friday (mon or wed too I think), decent beer selection, really good scotch, and a cool atmosphere. A good place to go with friends and talk, not be bombarded by loud music. Also, relatively few douchebags (normally none), which I find is the key to a good bar.

Another good one with a great beer selection and some good food is Bar on Buena.

Easily the best beer garden in the city is Moody's Pub. Even has parking. Really good burgers too.

We stick to non-douchey, non-club like bars. We like to be able to sit at the bar or at a table and hear each other speak without having to yell. If that's your thing, the above three are really good options.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)

McGee's = awfulness. I used to go when I first graduated college for the $25 all you can drink specials, but now I can't imagine ever stepping foot in that place again.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Before moving to the burbs a couple of months ago, my fiance and I always went to the Duke of Perth. Awesome all you can eat fish n chips deal on Friday (mon or wed too I think), decent beer selection, really good scotch, and a cool atmosphere. A good place to go with friends and talk, not be bombarded by loud music. Also, relatively few douchebags (normally none), which I find is the key to a good bar.

They do have good fish and chips, but I have a vendetta against the manager.

I would stay out of Lincoln park all together for bars.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
That bar across the street is probably Kelly's Pub. Not a huge beer selection but they have Guinness and they've been in business since the year Prohibition was repealed, so it gets high marks from me.

Or State (depending on what he means by across the street), although I have never been in there and do not know if it a "collegey" place. I despise college bars

Edited by Chi Town Sox

If I cobbled together all my favorite bars it would . . .

be on South Padre's Laguna Madre Side. (Palm Street, Louies, Steamers, Amberjacks etc)

have dozens of interesting beers on tap (Tap Room, Roosevelts)

be able to mix a great tropical drink (Still looking, my own bar for now)

have a singer/songwriter (Louies)

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Or State (depending on what he means by across the street), although I have never been in there and do not know if it a "collegey" place. I despise college bars

My buddy owns State. Its huge with 100 Tvs. Good sports bar but it gets really crowded on the weekends and the music is way too loud. Not bad for a weeknight to watch a game but weekends I would stay away. A lot of nice talent though.

I went to a bar on south side called Simone's after a sox game. It was pretty cool. But this question is way too broad to really give a good response.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 06:48 AM)
Sure. I could go for Knoxville bar recommendations. As long as I'm not beaten up or robbed by a major sports team recruit.

:lol: fair enough... guess you need to stay away from Bar Knoxville then.

Couple of suggestions:

Barley's and Pat Sullivans in the Old City

Preservation Pub in Market Square (my favorite)

Half Barrel on the Strip... Cool Beans right behind the Strip (next to Papa John's)

Downtown Grill and Brewery (on Gay St) - they brew their own beer, and it's $2 pints most (if not every) nights. Have about 6-7 selections of their home brew on tap.

I'd imagine you've been to at least one of these places since you've been here awhile, but wanted to suggest them anyway.

Edited by dasox24

I don't get to the bars too often anymore, but I was at Grotto in Oakbrook for a birthday party couple Saturdays ago...and um DAM!! Women out numbered men at least 5-1. I never had those odds back in the day...even my wife commented on all the chicks. That was never the case when I was single and there was a variety here. You definitely had the hot rich cougars...for you youngings trying to score a old chick. But there was also a lot in the 30-35 range...just tables of 6-7 chicks sitting by themselves. As for the under 30 crowd, the girls birthday I was there for was 25 and it was her friends B-day too who was 24. So there were like 25 girls just in those groups. I'm assuming if they chose to go there for their B-days they go there other times as well. I will say if you meet a chick at a place like this...she's most likely very high maintenance...so big deal...don't marry her.