Sox sign Jeremy Reed

SoIL

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Looking at that old trade thread, I'm shocked at how many people hated the Garcia trade at the time.

I know so many people hated it. This guy was going to be our savior. I was sad to see Miguel Olivo leave at the time.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
I know so many people hated it. This guy was going to be our savior. I was sad to see Miguel Olivo leave at the time.

That's where I was on it. The Mark Kotsay comparisons I kept reading scared me enough on Reed that I didn't mind giving him up. I was a little upset they gave up Olivo since he was young, talented, and we didn't really have a replacement for him. But I was just pumped to get a proven stud like Garcia, so I didn't really even mind that much. We have no evidence of that on the boards though since that trade was so long ago that I wasn't even a member here yet.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21178

THE MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Read that. Great stuff.

My favorite post of the thread...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2004 -> 08:53 PM)
Teahen was the A's best prospect.. Mark Wood was like 11 - 3 with a 2.87 ERA in AA... and John Buck was hitting like .338 with 19 HR's in the Astros AAA

KC got everything they wanted, and they are all good prospects...

Wait a minute.

Buck was hitting .300 with 12 hrs.

Yes, Teahan is good.

Wood was 11-3 at sacramento like you said.

Now Greg can never say anything bad about Teahen.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
Hello Joe Borchard

I was pissed we didn't send him in the deal instead of Reed. Stated many times since I've posted here, I was never a fan of his. Thank god he gave us Matt Thornton.

You know whats funny about that Garcia thread? Everyone was pretty much like "Why the hell didnt we give Seattle Borchard instead of Reed????"

We just waited a few years, then gave them Borchard for Thornton. LOL

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
I was pissed we didn't send him in the deal instead of Reed. Stated many times since I've posted here, I was never a fan of his. Thank god he gave us Matt Thornton.

Yours was the first complaint that jumped out at me, ha

You know what would be absolutely crazily awesome?

If Reed decided suddenly to live up to his potential (well, that he had) and went to RF while Q DHed.

It'd be like Freddy or Pods, yet about 1000 times less likely and 10000 times more awesome.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Haha the first thing I thought about when I saw this was you.

Me too! I remember him distinctly because a number of years back, we became Soxtalk members on the same day.

I have a question. In the movie "Outcast" Tom Hanks wife thought that he was dead. She got remarried and her name got changed.

When she found out that Hanks was alive, which name does she take on since legally she was bound to Tom Hanks? Well, Soxace started out as JeremyReedFan and changed his name only because he got traded. Now that Reed is back, does he go back to his original name? Which one does he take on? Either way, you are a die hard hard Soxfan, and will never be considered an "outcast!" unless you go about 13 miles north......to (the dark side!!!) LOL

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 06:08 AM)
Me too! I remember him distinctly because a number of years back, we became Soxtalk members on the same day.

I have a question. In the movie "Outcast" Tom Hanks wife thought that he was dead. She got remarried and her name got changed.

When she found out that Hanks was alive, which name does she take on since legally she was bound to Tom Hanks? Well, Soxace started out as JeremyReedFan and changed his name only because he got traded. Now that Reed is back, does he go back to his original name? Which one does he take on? Either way, you are a die hard hard Soxfan, and will never be considered an "outcast!" unless you go about 13 miles north......to (the dark side!!!) LOL

I think you mean "Castaway", no?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
that thread is awesome....my 2nd day at the site...i was pissed.

I remember going to the Sox game vs the Cubs the day of the trade. I was with a Cubs friend, and I remember telling him how great Olivo looked so far that season with both his bat and strong arm, and how he would be around for a long time. Then after the game, waiting for the Green Line EL, when my dad calls to tell me he was just traded for Garcia. My friend loved the irony.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
You know what would be absolutely crazily awesome?

If Reed decided suddenly to live up to his potential (well, that he had) and went to RF while Q DHed.

It'd be like Freddy or Pods, yet about 1000 times less likely and 10000 times more awesome.

Actually it would go like this...

He gets called up... has about a 2 week hot streak... then goes back to sucking...

Ozzie sits him... and we'd have a series of flaming poster arguments about why he's in Ozzie's doghouse, why Ozzie should be fired, etc.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I liked the trade at the time. Granted, I did think it was a lot to give up. It turned into one of Kenny's better trades. Freddy was a solid pitcher for 2 1/2 years, then we turn him into Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.

And now he's been instrumental this year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I am seriously considering it, but I don't want his ass being released next week or something. :lol:

Up until he got traded I had his name on here, so I might have to do it (I'll take the day to think it over). Thing is, I've had this name for like 5-6 years and I'm sure many are used to it, plus I was like 15 or so, so the name was more-so of a true fan and beginning prospect lover/follower. I will now look at my autographed Jeremy Reed baseball with pride. :lol:

Booo... change it already....