Beer Garden opening at the cell

SnB

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
So they're going to be open for an hour after the final out. I'm assuming they're not going to be selling alcohol at that time?

I would assume they would be selling alcohol at the time. Why would anyone stay there after the game otherwise? There was something similar to this outside Nationals Park in D.C. when I went, problem was the area around the stadium is not developed at all and there were literally no other bars to walk to after the game so their "Bullpen" I think it was called was just packed and the worst part was they only served the beers at the bar as far away from the entrance as possible (there was a bar/stand right by the entrance but only had water/pop).

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
I would assume they would be selling alcohol at the time. Why would anyone stay there after the game otherwise? There was something similar to this outside Nationals Park in D.C. when I went, problem was the area around the stadium is not developed at all and there were literally no other bars to walk to after the game so their "Bullpen" I think it was called was just packed and the worst part was they only served the beers at the bar as far away from the entrance as possible (there was a bar/stand right by the entrance but only had water/pop).

I'll admit I haven't been to the Cell in a couple years, but don't they have last call in the 7th inning stretch? If they do, wouldn't serving after the game totally defeat the purpose of this.

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
I'll admit I haven't been to the Cell in a couple years, but don't they have last call in the 7th inning stretch? If they do, wouldn't serving after the game totally defeat the purpose of this.

ya usually its a mad dash to the bullpen sports bar in the 8th inning

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
So they're going to be open for an hour after the final out. I'm assuming they're not going to be selling alcohol at that time?

They sell at the Bullpen Sports Bar til at least an hour after final out, so I don't see why this beer garden would be different. It kinda defeats the purpose of the 7th inning cut off, but thats another discussion. Either way, I like the idea. Wrigley has that new Captain Morgan Club, which is solid if you want a drink or two outside before the game.

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)

I'd bet that this is a way to continue sales after the old 7th inning rule. If people are expected to stay late, they may as well buy from the Cell rather than a bar past the railroad tracks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
I'd bet that this is a way to continue sales after the old 7th inning rule. If people are expected to stay late, they may as well buy from the Cell rather than a bar past the railroad tracks.

It's only taken them approximately 100 years to figure out people like to drink before and after the games and still be near the park.

I believe the ability to sell past the 7th is the distinction they made between the Bullpen Sports Bar and a public sporting event and the difference in regulations for the two. The BSB most likely has a separate license and regulations as it's own bar and the beer garden will probably be the same.

This is a great idea and hopefully will be successful. I was in DC for the Sox series and the post-game party seen was one of the most fun of any ballpark I've been too. That stadium is just like Sox Park - nothing immediately accessible except public transit. The beer garden, while crowded, was a great social scene and perfect for enjoying a White Sox winner while the crush of humanity hit the metro. Cheers!

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
This is a great idea and hopefully will be successful. I was in DC for the Sox series and the post-game party seen was one of the most fun of any ballpark I've been too. That stadium is just like Sox Park - nothing immediately accessible except public transit. The beer garden, while crowded, was a great social scene and perfect for enjoying a White Sox winner while the crush of humanity hit the metro. Cheers!

It's ok....but I don't know how successful it will be with the tailgating that's allowed. I'd rather go back to the car with my friends and hang for an hour where we can drink 5 beers for the price of one in the beer garden. I'd much rather have a real bar there...

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
It's ok....but I don't know how successful it will be with the tailgating that's allowed. I'd rather go back to the car with my friends and hang for an hour where we can drink 5 beers for the price of one in the beer garden. I'd much rather have a real bar there...

a substantial number of fans get to the park via public transportation, certainly enough to fill a beer garden along with those who will stop in for 1-2 even if they're not taking the el or possibly(hopefully, maybe) soon-to-be finished Metra stop.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
They sell at the Bullpen Sports Bar til at least an hour after final out, so I don't see why this beer garden would be different. It kinda defeats the purpose of the 7th inning cut off, but thats another discussion. Either way, I like the idea. Wrigley has that new Captain Morgan Club, which is solid if you want a drink or two outside before the game.

I agree completely, but judging by the "rendering", I'm hoping this is just not some lame excuse to try and copy the Capt Morgan club, without getting a sponsor to come in a do it right. Nevertheless, beers will be cheaper before and after the game at the Cork and other fine establishments in the neighborhood.