Beer Garden opening at the cell

SnB

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
I agree completely, but judging by the "rendering", I'm hoping this is just not some lame excuse to try and copy the Capt Morgan club, without getting a sponsor to come in a do it right. Nevertheless, beers will be cheaper before and after the game at the Cork and other fine establishments in the neighborhood.

You really think they won't eventually get a sponsor for the spot?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Anybody check it out last night?

I went last night. It was pretty empty before the game and there was nobody in it after the game. It was basically a small concrete area with a couple of tent overhangs. There are a few tables and chairs, some TVs, and two portable stand up bars. They sell beer, wine and soft drinks, no food. It is pretty lame but I still like it to have an option to meet people. They also intend to open a restaurant there right behind the bar. It would be inside behind a class enclosed area. That sounds cool as long as it serves legit food.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I went last night. It was pretty empty before the game and there was nobody in it after the game. It was basically a small concrete area with a couple of tent overhangs. There are a few tables and chairs, some TVs, and two portable stand up bars. They sell beer, wine and soft drinks, no food. It is pretty lame but I still like it to have an option to meet people. They also intend to open a restaurant there right behind the bar. It would be inside behind a class enclosed area. That sounds cool as long as it serves legit food.

I was there as well last night, it was definitely a good place to wait after the game, not crowded at all and lot's of tv's. Of course, the beer prices are "inside the park" prices, but it was cool, not blown away but a good start.

I guess it's a start but, it seemed pretty hastily put up to me. Not much to look at and I agree with a previous poster that you might as well tailgate if you're going to drive. If you're taking the EL, I'd rather pay stadium prices for beer in the stadium and watch BP or walk around. Long way to go but, a good idea.

The postgame scene in DC was much more of a party atmosphere. Live band, beer tents, substantially larger area set aside. The one big difference is that the land is not owned by the Nationals - private owner got the permits and put it up. Not sure the Sox could get away with something that loud and raucous just because of the neighborhood. I recall someone saying the DC beer garden had to close at midnight. Anyone know if Chicago has similar ordinances?

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
I guess it's a start but, it seemed pretty hastily put up to me. Not much to look at and I agree with a previous poster that you might as well tailgate if you're going to drive. If you're taking the EL, I'd rather pay stadium prices for beer in the stadium and watch BP or walk around. Long way to go but, a good idea.

The postgame scene in DC was much more of a party atmosphere. Live band, beer tents, substantially larger area set aside. The one big difference is that the land is not owned by the Nationals - private owner got the permits and put it up. Not sure the Sox could get away with something that loud and raucous just because of the neighborhood. I recall someone saying the DC beer garden had to close at midnight. Anyone know if Chicago has similar ordinances?

it closes about 45 min after last out.

Hmm sounds kind of lame. As one of those el guys who would be the target of something like this, sounds like it's missing the mark. I'd just go to the Bullpen in that case. Especially for those prices.

I was excited to check out the new Cork & Kerry but disappointed at how tiny it was and WTF--no air conditioning? At least on the day I was there. No thanks.

There's a lot of talk about turning the area into a Wrigleyville--IMO it will never happen. If you cross over the expressway and just under the tracks their is a HUGE empty lot there--perfect for bars and restaurants, location-wise.

However, you have to remember that the bars around Wrigley have a huge population that attends them year-round. Sure, some aren't half as busy or even a quarter, but they do have business. I highly doubt the area around the Cell has enough local business to keep taverns afloat all year.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Hmm sounds kind of lame. As one of those el guys who would be the target of something like this, sounds like it's missing the mark. I'd just go to the Bullpen in that case. Especially for those prices.

I was excited to check out the new Cork & Kerry but disappointed at how tiny it was and WTF--no air conditioning? At least on the day I was there. No thanks.

There's a lot of talk about turning the area into a Wrigleyville--IMO it will never happen. If you cross over the expressway and just under the tracks their is a HUGE empty lot there--perfect for bars and restaurants, location-wise.

However, you have to remember that the bars around Wrigley have a huge population that attends them year-round. Sure, some aren't half as busy or even a quarter, but they do have business. I highly doubt the area around the Cell has enough local business to keep taverns afloat all year.

Cork & Kerry didnt seem any different whatsoever than Jimbo's. And there was no air so it was really fricking hot in there. I like Rocky's a lot more.