Game Thread 8/10: MIN v CWS, 7:10pm

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
Before the game, wasn't Ozzie saying something about how he couldn't have Thome on this roster?

What a joke he is at times (when it comes to his stupid man-crushes)

What a brain dead moron.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
What the devil are you talking about? Garcia is our #5 starter, and he's already won ten games through two thirds of the season. What more do you expect from a #5 starter?

He won 10 games because he was better than the opposing 5th starter 10 times.

What ace has Garcia beaten this year.

Yeah, I thought so.

If he's matched against a higher quality pitcher he's likely to lose because the Sox are probably not going to score many runs off a higher quality pitcher.

He's played out that's all it is to it.

And if that's surprising to you, sorry.

Wake up.

Edited by mcgrad70

If Morneau can return and be 80% of the player he was to start the season, this Twins lineup can easily win the World Series. When guys like Hudson and Hardy are your easiest outs, you're a very tough lineup to face. They're also second best in the majors against LHP, which you wouldn't think of based on all their lefties.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:40 AM)
I don't see how we win this division. The Twins have a better 25 man roster and an easier schedule. Oh yeah...they own us head to head too.

I think it will be extremely difficult, as the Twins offense just is showing no signs of slowing down. Also, the removal of Blackburn for Duensing has really helped their rotation. Pavano being a possible top 5 Cy Young pitcher also helps.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
Before the game, wasn't Ozzie saying something about how he couldn't have Thome on this roster?

What a joke he is at times (when it comes to his stupid man-crushes)

Yup, I heard it on Boers and Bernstein, Bernstein brought up Thome's numbers and I just shook my head.

.404 wOBA...would be second best on the team right behind Konerko.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Yup, I heard it on Boers and Bernstein, Bernstein brought up Thome's numbers and I just shook my head.

.404 wOBA...would be second best on the team right behind Konerko.

He must really hate Thome for some reason. For whatever reason he has to use every opportunity to tell everyone how he couldn't use him in our lineup.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
He must really hate Thome for some reason. For whatever reason he has to use every opportunity to tell everyone how he couldn't use him in our lineup.

Well, we know Ozzie thought Thome wasn't "mean" enough and the clubhouse suffered as a result. He wanted more grinders!

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
over under on how many "sky is falling" threads???

It is falling and for all you Pena fans out there, your boy did it again.

They had momentum going into the 3rd and Pena took it all away.

Like he does again and again and again.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
I don't see how we win this division. The Twins have a better 25 man roster and an easier schedule. Oh yeah...they own us head to head too.

It will have to be with better pitching.

The Sox need two guys to pitch lights out and two to pitch really well.

Then there's Freddy... they nee him to get really really lucky for at least half of his remaining starts.

Edited by wsgdf_2

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Well, we know Ozzie thought Thome wasn't "mean" enough and the clubhouse suffered as a result. He wanted more grinders!

As Ozzie said, good guys finish last.

He thought Thome's niceness would disrupt this team's badass-ness.

Unfortunately, baseball is not WRASTLING.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)

The had momentum going into the 3rd and Pena took it all away.

Who did you want to come in to relieve Freddy? Thornton?

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)

They had momentum going into the 3rd and Pena took it all away.

Why the hell are you all on Tony Pena for? He mops up bad situations.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)

Yeah, I thought so.

If he's matched against a higher quality pitcher he's likely to lose because the Sox are probably not going to score many runs off a higher quality pitcher.

Wake up.

Lol - wake up, indeed! Take your own medicine, buddy. 5th starters aren't hired to beat "aces". Aces are meant and paid to beat aces. 5th starters are meant to eat up innings over the course of a 162 game season and, hopefully, try and win in the double digit column in the process. Freddy has done that going into tonight's game, winning as I mentioned ten games through just two thirds of the season. I'll do a little math for you and let you in on the secret that he's on pace for a 15 game win season, which would be absolutely superb for a 5th starter. So as far as Freddy's performance as a 5th starter goes, he's been as good as anyone could have hoped for, tonight's unfortunate outcome notwithstanding.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Lol - wake up, indeed! Take your own medicine, buddy. 5th starters aren't hired to beat "aces". Aces are meant and paid to beat aces. 5th starters are meant to eat up innings over the course of a 162 game season and, hopefully, try and win in the double digit column in the process. Freddy has done that going into tonight's game, winning as I mentioned ten games through just two thirds of the season. I'll do a little math for you and let you in on the secret that he's on pace for a 15 game win season, which would be absolutely superb for a 5th starter. So as far as Freddy's performance as a 5th starter goes, he's been as good as anyone could have hoped for, tonight's unfortunate outcome notwithstanding.

Freddy did his part as a 5th starter in the first half. This second half's been just bad though.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)

Yeah, I thought so.

Wake up.

This doesn't really make any sense. This logic is easily warped because it's halfway there already.

Good news?

The Twins have beaten up on the three worst pitchers on the staff, and now Bobby's in.

This game bought Putz, Thornton, Sale and Sergio some rest for the next two games.

Tomorrow will be a different day and hopefully set up a pretty excellent rubber game between Floyd and Liriano.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)

He must hate him? Geezus... This is how rumors start.

No... Ozzie does NOT hate Thome. He repeatedly over and over talks about how much respect he (and the entire organization) has for Thome.

The bottom line is that he (and probably Kenny) felt they didn't want to disrespect Thome by bringing him back for a pittance this season after the big contract he had here... and then have him only play in a reserve role. They felt it would be an uncomfortable situation for everyone.

In situations like that, it's easier to have someone move on and let the new team make that decision.

The mistake the Sox made was in thinking Thome's skills might be diminishing more/faster than they have.