Ozzie Guillen

BigSqwert

Take him or leave him?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If we DON'T make the post season....

• Get rid of him. He's outstayed his welcome.
    • Keep him. The players let him down.
    • Give him one more year.
  2. 2. If we DO make the post season...

• Get rid of him. He still can't manage worth a lick.
    • Keep him. How can you get rid of a guy that brought us a WS and 2 other DIV titles.
    • Give him one more year.

Despite the fact that I jumped off the Ozzie bandwagon, I will actually partially defend Ozzie on the Kotsay thing last night (even though I am going to get ripped for it). Kotsay crushed the ball twice already in that game - and that does mean something. When a guy has two shots like that in a game, its hard to justify pulling him.

Yes, I realize Kotsay sucks against lefties this year - in 21 at bats. Yes, Kotsay overall is a bad hitter who should not be starting. I'm just saying, I don't think that decision was as awful as its being made out to be. I think that's a tough call in that situation, and I wouldn't have been pissed at Ozzie either way.

But goddamn did that game piss me off overall.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Despite the fact that I jumped off the Ozzie bandwagon, I will actually partially defend Ozzie on the Kotsay thing last night (even though I am going to get ripped for it). Kotsay crushed the ball twice already in that game - and that does mean something. When a guy has two shots like that in a game, its hard to justify pulling him.

Yes, I realize Kotsay sucks against lefties this year - in 21 at bats. Yes, Kotsay overall is a bad hitter who should not be starting. I'm just saying, I don't think that decision was as awful as its being made out to be. I think that's a tough call in that situation, and I wouldn't have been pissed at Ozzie either way.

That's what their assumption was, too. I don't know....he's in a platoon for a reason. He's expected to hit RHP well and the fact that he actually did for once, imo, doesn't mean he should suddenly be looked upon as something other than a platoon guy.

There were several failures in that game but I always get a kick out of the opposing announcers reacting some of OG's moves...like Kotsay and Thornton.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)

I will add this though - having Kotsay as a starter at all is mostly on Ozzie, and batting him 5th or 6th all the time like a buffoon is also on Ozzie. Those are both terrible calls.

Why exactly do he have a left handed hitter sitting on our bench yesterday who is signed for a couple more years while starting a guy making practically the league minimum with terrible stats for the year? Yeah I know his first 2 ABs were great and he produced but over the long haul he should rarely be playing especially since Teahen is better and we extended the guy. I am dumbfounded why Ozzie is treating Kotsay as if he's some future hall of fame candidate and fan favorite. God forbid we used him as a rare spot starter and left handed pinch hitter like most teams would at this stage in his career.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Why exactly do he have a left handed hitter sitting on our bench yesterday who is signed for a couple more years while starting a guy making practically the league minimum with terrible stats for the year? Yeah I know his first 2 ABs were great and he produced but over the long haul he should rarely be playing especially since Teahen is better and we extended the guy. I am dumbfounded why Ozzie is treating Kotsay as if he's some future hall of fame candidate and fan favorite. God forbid we used him as a rare spot starter and left handed pinch hitter like most teams would at this stage in his career.

I agree that Teahen should have been starting there over Kotsay.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
I agree that Teahen should have been starting there over Kotsay.

It's almost as if Ozzie is treating Kotsay as if he were Thome and hoping to prove everyone wrong somehow. There is just no reason for Kotsay to be out there so much and batting so high up in the order. And sorry for beating a dead horse but not a single member of the media has asked him this and it's driving me insane.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
It's almost as if Ozzie is treating Kotsay as if he were Thome and hoping to prove everyone wrong somehow. There is just no reason for Kotsay to be out there so much and batting so high up in the order. And sorry for beating a dead horse but not a single member of the media has asked him this and it's driving me insane.

You could send a note to Cowley and Gonzales for their mailbags. It would be a lot more intelligent than most of the drivel they have to answer.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)

Perhaps most minor league teams. Most major league teams would have already designated him for assignment.

I try to ignore him when he says stupid s*** like "f*** you, if you don't like it then don't watch the team" like he did last year when he was getting ripped for playing Wise so much. I can't though. Let's just say that I notice.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 05:46 AM)

What the hell does he mean by this,

""Oh and I got one more year on my contract, just make sure to tell Jerry (Reinsdorf), get it ready, this crazy (bleeping) Mexican, it's fine with me. They going to blame me about one home run, I'll take the blame.''

The workplace in America in many lines of work would be a much better place if we had people like Ozzie Guillen willing to speak their minds and not kiss ass to all the higher-ups. There's way too much buttkissing in the workplace. Fans are big boys/girls. They should be able to take Ozzie calling them out for their fan rants, which often are as stupid as his own. The workplace today is full of kiss ass employees who are taking businesses down with them. Go Ozzie!

Just because a majority of workers are afraid to speak their minds doesn't mean Oz is wrong for doing so. Ozzie rules!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 05:13 AM)
What the hell does he mean by this,

""Oh and I got one more year on my contract, just make sure to tell Jerry (Reinsdorf), get it ready, this crazy (bleeping) Mexican, it's fine with me. They going to blame me about one home run, I'll take the blame.''

Ozzie revealing to the world he is actually Mexican, apparently.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
I am fine with keeping Ozzie, but under the clause that he has no say in making roster decisions about who we sign, release, trade for, draft. Without Ozzie calling shots, we would have Thome instead of Kotsay.

Let Kenny do Kenny's job. He's good at that. Let Ozzie do Ozzie's job, he is usually good at that.

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Fact of the matter is that Ozzie shouldn't be playing GM for our team in the offseason and deciding between Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones or Jim Thome. Part of that's KW's fault for letting him do it, but if Ozzie is going to continue to have that type of executive decision, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

these

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Fact of the matter is that Ozzie shouldn't be playing GM for our team in the offseason and deciding between Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones or Jim Thome. Part of that's KW's fault for letting him do it, but if Ozzie is going to continue to have that type of executive decision, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Perfectly said.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
People believin' Ozzie is playin' GM. Snake oil at best.

Yeah there's only video footage on The Club of him in a room with Kenny and Reinsdorf making roster decisions. That must have been CGI.

The White Sox are the Weiner's Circle of MLB. Insulting their customers works for them so maybe it works for the Sox. I love reading Oney Guillen's tweets. When Kotsay was hot, the Skipper (that's what he calls his dad) obviously made the correct choice, the Sox were soft with Thome. Since Kotsay has been struggling and especially since the Sox have been losing lately has Oney saying the GM is responsible for the roster.

I really wonder what Oney would do if his last name was Smith and he had to fend for himself in the real world.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
The workplace in America in many lines of work would be a much better place if we had people like Ozzie Guillen willing to speak their minds and not kiss ass to all the higher-ups. There's way too much buttkissing in the workplace. Fans are big boys/girls. They should be able to take Ozzie calling them out for their fan rants, which often are as stupid as his own. The workplace today is full of kiss ass employees who are taking businesses down with them. Go Ozzie!

Just because a majority of workers are afraid to speak their minds doesn't mean Oz is wrong for doing so. Ozzie rules!

Greg this post doesn't make a lick of sense. You're comparing Ozzie to the real world? I'm not a butt kisser I did the equivalent of what Ozzie said at work:

Client: I want you to get this project done by an earlier deadline, also I want it done a certain way

Me: I'm gonna do it the way I want, and f*** you if you don't like it! If you don't like it then just don't bill my work.

...I'd expect to be fired within hours.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Greg this post doesn't make a lick of sense. You're comparing Ozzie to the real world? I'm not a butt kisser I did the equivalent of what Ozzie said at work:

Client: I want you to get this project done by an earlier deadline, also I want it done a certain way

Me: I'm gonna do it the way I want, and f*** you if you don't like it! If you don't like it then just don't bill my work.

...I'd expect to be fired within hours.

Nice response, I'll give you that. You are saying Ozzie blasted the clients and an employer could expect to be upset that an employee cussed out the client base, in this case the fan base.

I can see your point on that.

I guess if you look at it that way, yes that could be a fireable offense. I'm too tired now to come up with a counter argument, but I'll think on it. I could simply say sports are different. I do like the fact he doesn't buttkiss up to Kenny. He does a bit to Jerry, but more than anything shows elderly jerry respect.

I would like to respond to the poster who said Oz should think outside the box.

Was it thinking outside the box in '05 letting all those guys throw complete games? Every other manager would have brought in the closer, maybe even set up men, then closers. Oz let them finish the game and we benefited that postseason by it and won it all.

Was that thinking outside the box? Damn right. No other manager would ever have let guys all throw complete games like that. We got a WS title as a result partly of his thinking outside the box.

And don't say I'm living in '05. I reallize you all think that anyway. My point I feel is valid example of him thinking outside the box and it's the first one that came to my mind.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Nice response, I'll give you that. You are saying Ozzie blasted the clients and an employer could expect to be upset that an employee cussed out the client base, in this case the fan base.

I can see your point on that.

I guess if you look at it that way, yes that could be a fireable offense. I'm too tired now to come up with a counter argument, but I'll think on it. I could simply say sports are different. I do like the fact he doesn't buttkiss up to Kenny. He does a bit to Jerry, but more than anything shows elderly jerry respect.

I would like to respond to the poster who said Oz should think outside the box.

Was it thinking outside the box in '05 letting all those guys throw complete games? Every other manager would have brought in the closer, maybe even set up men, then closers. Oz let them finish the game and we benefited that postseason by it and won it all.

Was that thinking outside the box? Damn right. No other manager would ever have let guys all throw complete games like that. We got a WS title as a result partly of his thinking outside the box.

And don't say I'm living in '05. I reallize you all think that anyway. My point I feel is valid example of him thinking outside the box and it's the first one that came to my mind.

:unsure: