September Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to start cheering against the Rays!

They have a 7 game WC lead on us, but they have 3 with the Red Sox now, then 3 with the Jays, then 3 with the Yankees, then 3 with the Angels, then 4 with the Yankees again.

Need the Yanks to take 6 of 7 from them and the Red Sox and Blue Jays to beat them around a bit too.

We need to stay hot and hope to get some help from Twins and Rays opponents!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
What a chicken s*** call by the 3rd base ump that cost the rangers a comeback win against the twins.

Firstly I will say that I haven't seen the actual play. But when the Twins own thirdbaseman actually says no, it didn't help him get back to third and the one quote of the rules states it must help the player (it could have been a misquote not saying the quote I saw of the rule is accurate) it sounds heinous to me dude.

QUOTE (Queen Prawn @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Firstly I will say that I haven't seen the actual play. But when the Twins own thirdbaseman actually says no, it didn't help him get back to third and the one quote of the rules states it must help the player (it could have been a misquote not saying the quote I saw of the rule is accurate) it sounds heinous to me dude.

The video is on mlb.com in the Twins/Rangers highlights from the game. The runner and the 3B coach MAY have made contacts with their fingers, but not even close to being enough to say he assited the runner in any way. The runner through his arms out to stop his motion, and they may have touched fingers. Certainly not on purpose or not anything that helped the runner.

Even if the rule just states that it can be ANY contact, that's absolutely horses*** to end the game on that. It's like an umpire calling the "delay of game" rule on the pitcher, forcing in the game winning run on a bases loaded walk. Even if the rule is technically correct, that's embarrassing to call that to end a game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Time to start cheering against the Rays!

They have a 7 game WC lead on us, but they have 3 with the Red Sox now, then 3 with the Jays, then 3 with the Yankees, then 3 with the Angels, then 4 with the Yankees again.

Need the Yanks to take 6 of 7 from them and the Red Sox and Blue Jays to beat them around a bit too.

We need to stay hot and hope to get some help from Twins and Rays opponents!

It's delusional to think that the Wild Card will come out of the central, come on.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
It's delusional to think that the Wild Card will come out of the central, come on.

Fine. Go write a 29 page exposé on some scandal at UIC and leave me to my delusions.

Let's go Red Sawx!

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
I consider the Central lost. It's WC or bust, baby. Go Sox for the WC.

lol, how is a 3.5 game deficit a lost cause but the 6 game wild card deficit chasing the 2nd best team in the American League a much more realistic possibility?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
I consider the Central lost. It's WC or bust, baby. Go Sox for the WC.

You're a strange fella, Greg. 3.5 games is less than 6 games. We have to concentrate on the division first. If the WC happens, that's fine. But, keep winning games, that's all we can ask for now.

Whichever team wins the AL Central will most likely have 93+ wins. I don't think many of us would have expected that at the beginning of the season. If the Sox play just above .500 ball the rest of the way (13 wins out of 25 games), they'll have 90 wins. And that probably won't be enough for the division or the wild card. The team's horrible start really makes me think of how much different it would look right now had they played even moderately better.

Regardless of what happens, the next few weeks are going to be exciting, frustrating, and nail-biting.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Whichever team wins the AL Central will most likely have 93+ wins. I don't think many of us would have expected that at the beginning of the season. If the Sox play just above .500 ball the rest of the way (13 wins out of 25 games), they'll have 90 wins. And that probably won't be enough for the division or the wild card. The team's horrible start really makes me think of how much different it would look right now had they played even moderately better.

Regardless of what happens, the next few weeks are going to be exciting, frustrating, and nail-biting.

There was a preseason poll asking exactly that. I don't remember what the results were, though. Would be interesting to recall.

Should have re-issued that poll in May, just for the sake of humor.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)

With the absolutely brutal schedule the Rays have, if the Twins and Sox both get (well, stay is the more appropriate word) hot, there is a definite chance of that happening. Probably not any higher than 10-15% but I wouldn't call it impossible.