September Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
This is absolutely the right decision to make and I commend Kenny for not responding to the conventional thinking of putting a lefty kid with his kind of arm into the back of the bullpen and letting him rot.

How is that conventional thinking?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
How is that conventional thinking?

How is it not? More often than not, a kid with Sale’s stuff who throws from the left side will remain in the bullpen for an extended period of time, especially after making his major league debut there. The White Sox have decided to forgo this and let him focus on making a more significant contribution to the team, the very next spring, instead of years down the line.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
How is it not? More often than not, a kid with Sale’s stuff who throws from the left side will remain in the bullpen for an extended period of time, especially after making his major league debut there. The White Sox have decided to forgo this and let him focus on making a more significant contribution to the team, the very next spring, instead of years down the line.

I get the opposite impression...that if teams think a guy can handle being a starter without his arm going out...they may give him a taste in the bullpen, but they're going to get him in the starting rotation. That's the way the Twins did it with both Santana and Liriano, for example.

About the only time it really, truly becomes an issue is if a guy takes over a closer's spot...and even then teams may still try to move him to starter to get the extra innings out of him. Papelbon and Joba Chamberlain are plausible examples there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Don't know where to put this, I'll put it here.

The starting pitching situation for next year does look good, but its scary how little depth there is behind those six in terms of real talent. AAA had nothing of use this year at all. Next year, the two guys who are above the Harrell/Torres level that are closest to ready would be Leesman and Shirek, neither of which look ready for 2011 after their 2010 campaigns (Leesman was mid-season to AA before he really got strong, and Shirek had injury issues). Behind those two you have guys like Dylan Axelrod and a bunch of really young guys in rookie ball that are not anywhere near ready. Some of those may have the talent, but are multiple years from contributing in any case.

This is an area the org needs to develop quickly, before an already expensive pitching staff starts reaching the end of their contracts or arb periods.

You just me more depressed then I already was. I knew there was a reason(s) I totally stopped following our minor leagues in June.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
You just me more depressed then I already was. I knew there was a reason(s) I totally stopped following our minor leagues in June.

Oh there's talent in the minors, in fact I'd contend that the lower levels have improved a lot the last year or two. Problem is the higher levels are nearly devoid of major league talent. The system is uneven right now. So I wouldn't stop following them, I'd just focus on the lower level teams for now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Today is Faust fest, a celebration of one of the best White Sox performers for 40 years. The NY Times has an article about her, of course, our big mouthed manager had something classless to say:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/sports/b...18organist.html

Guillen compared Faust’s music to the vuvuzela, the South African horn. “At the beginning of the season, it’s fun,” he said. “Now in June or July, it gets old.”

Ozzie's act was fun for the first couple of years too, but now it has gotten old. What a jerk.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Ozzie's act was fun for the first couple of years too, but now it has gotten old. What a jerk.

First he disses the fans and now he s***s on Nancy Faust. Why do people love this guy so much? He's not even a good manager.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
First he disses the fans and now he s***s on Nancy Faust. Why do people love this guy so much? He's not even a good manager.

Chicago White Sox

Polish sausage

Ozzie

Sausage

World Series

Ditka

lol, what Ozzie said about Nancy can be said about himself.

He was once considered a pretty good manager, but now his act is getting old.

Back in early August, NSS and I had a discussion about whether the Sox were likely to get their average attendance up to 28k to avoid a significant drop from the 28,199 the Sox averaged last year.

At the time, the Sox were averaging around 26,500. The Sox have gotten extra people through the gates, but it's only been enough to push the Sox to 27,300. Last night, on a Saturday, the Sox only pulled in 27,828. Friday was 28,500.

There are 4 home games against the Red Sox remaining and 3 against the Indians. The season sure looks like its over, so I think it's getting less and less likely that we'll avoid losing about 1000 tickets sold/game.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. With the Sox already having a ton of money tied up into next year's payroll and an obviously flawed (but still talented) roster, the Sox are going to have several key decisions to make. I think guys you're looking to move are Quentin, possibly Teahen (though I think he could end up in RF next year too, as exciting as that sounds. The Sox need someone out there, and Teahen hasn't improvef his value this year), one of the starting pitchers, and obviously Linebrink.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Back in early August, NSS and I had a discussion about whether the Sox were likely to get their average attendance up to 28k to avoid a significant drop from the 28,199 the Sox averaged last year.

At the time, the Sox were averaging around 26,500. The Sox have gotten extra people through the gates, but it's only been enough to push the Sox to 27,300. Last night, on a Saturday, the Sox only pulled in 27,828. Friday was 28,500.

There are 4 home games against the Red Sox remaining and 3 against the Indians. The season sure looks like its over, so I think it's getting less and less likely that we'll avoid losing about 1000 tickets sold/game.

And as you may recall, that's what I said would happen. The number would go up towards 28k or perhaps even 29k, but that if the team fell out of it (as they did about a week ago now), the number would reverse. It was going up, the team fell out, we're headed back down again. The remaining series are BOS and CLE. If we are at 27,300 right now, I'll say that's about where we'll finish. HIgher than that for BOS games, lower for CLE.

Well, that home stand was about as bad as it gets. The team looked dead, aside from a few moments here and there. I'm sure many of them are looking forward to the end of the season, as many of us are.

I'm looking forward to the off season, because it should (hopefully) be quite interesting. There may be a change in management, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing of that sort happens. Re-signing Konerko, acquiring a real DH, and figuring out what to do at the catcher spot are some points I'd like to see addressed.

Who wants more Kenny and Ozzie drama? Well, here it is. Ozzie wants his boy Kotsay in the lineup and hates the lack of flexibility an actual DH saddles him with. “Kenny and Jerry [Reinsdorf] never get involved with my lineup,” Guillen said. “They never did and I don’t think they ever will. I hope not. You never know. But all of a sudden you don’t play Manny for three or four days and he’s healthy … we bring this guy here to play every day. [...]

By bringing aboard Ramirez, Williams was essentially forcing Guillen’s hand with lineup decisions. Or at least that’s how Guillen seems to look at it.

“In the meanwhile it’s hard for me to make the lineup every day because of that situation,” Guillen said about Ramirez’s presence.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...ausing-friction

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Who wants more Kenny and Ozzie drama? Well, here it is. Ozzie wants his boy Kotsay in the lineup and hates the lack of flexibility an actual DH saddles him with. “Kenny and Jerry [Reinsdorf] never get involved with my lineup,” Guillen said. “They never did and I don’t think they ever will. I hope not. You never know. But all of a sudden you don’t play Manny for three or four days and he’s healthy … we bring this guy here to play every day. [...]

By bringing aboard Ramirez, Williams was essentially forcing Guillen’s hand with lineup decisions. Or at least that’s how Guillen seems to look at it.

“In the meanwhile it’s hard for me to make the lineup every day because of that situation,” Guillen said about Ramirez’s presence.

Why can't Ozzie just keep his mouth shut? I agree, this team has to get past the damn soap opera that is KW and Ozzie.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

You know the real sad thing about Ozzie's remarks here? There's a key thing he's still not getting...that an old guy who can still hit but who shouldn't play 140 games every year is an absolute necessity for the "rotating DH" that he wants to run out there.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
I didn't think this was worthy of starting a new thread, but Andy Reid sounds like he's taking a page from Ozzie's book with his insistance of playing Kolb next week even though Vick played a great game yesterday.

Bah, that's an old rule; you're not supposed to lose your job because of injury.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)

If you believe WAR can be taken from the statsheet and put into the standings page, then Ozzie Guillen is the reason this team is 10 games back instead of 2 games back, because Jim Thome has been worth 3.4 WAR, whereas Mark Kotsay has been worth -0.8.

Perhaps you can say that Thome isn't going to be worth 3.4 here, but even if he is only worth 2 in Chicago, that's still a 6-7 game difference in the standings, and though it's more difficult, 3-4 games can still be made up in a 2 week period.

Why did he say that? I mean, it's completely unnecessary. It's Faust's appreciation day, and he goes and says something like that?