Insane stat for the Twins this season

joeynach

Over the past couple weeks I noticed something strange about the way the Twins were winning. They seemed to be winning a lot of game in which they were out hit by their opponents. So I did a little research. Since the ASB, the Twins have won 7 games in which they have been out hit and won another two more in which they have tied their opponents for hits. Of those 7 wins, 6 are at home. Of those 7 wins, 4 are in the last week, OUCH!!!!

This seems strange to me, how is this happening and why only at home. Is this unheard of, is this a record? I would love to see some more research about winning games when being out-hit. Why can the Twins do this at home, but not on the road. Is it their big ballpark? How can they do this so consistently in the last two months? Is their lineup the most clutch lineup ever (only at home), where they can score 6 runs on 6 hits consistently? There has to be a method to this madness because In my opinion this is rather freakish.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Over the past couple weeks I noticed something strange about the way the Twins were winning. They seemed to be winning a lot of game in which they were out hit by their opponents. So I did a little research. Since the ASB, the Twins have won 7 games in which they have been out hit and won another two more in which they have tied their opponents for hits. Of those 7 wins, 6 are at home. Of those 7 wins, 4 are in the last week, OUCH!!!!

This seems strange to me, how is this happening and why only at home. Is this unheard of, is this a record? I would love to see some more research about winning games when being out-hit. Why can the Twins do this at home, but not on the road. Is it their big ballpark? How can they do this so consistently in the last two months? Is their lineup the most clutch lineup ever (only at home), where they can score 6 runs on 6 hits consistently? There has to be a method to this madness because In my opinion this is rather freakish.

They lead the league in games won by routine double plays not turned by the opposition, dome rafters influence and an umpire's misinterpretation of contact rules.

Not that insane because they have surrendered the fewest walks in all of baseball by a large margin. Therefore, their pitchers are always around the plate and may give up their share of hits. But it won't necessarily hurt them that much because walks aren't coming around to score, they force you to string hits together to beat them. That huge park also makes it a bit easier for the Twins to pitch to contact without as much worry about the HR

This is a great post. I had been thinking of something similar, but couldn't put my finger on what exactly seemed so odd. They get W's but in such a completely unimpressive fashion, and it's so painful when the Sox are stringing together so many wins and gaining absolutely no ground.

I watch the MN highlights; the seeing eye singles, the bloop shots at exactly the right time, the seemingly automatic runs in 7-9th that result in that one run lead, not tied and win in extras but just that one extra run, the lack of scoring by the opposition in late innings even with Nathan out the entire season and late inning pitchers whom I cannot name even one......just does not make sense, they are a complete baseball enigma without an obvious explanation. I truly believed that once they left the dome, they'd never win another ALC title again, but apparently the stadium is not the explanation.

If I could see the numbers and know precisely what they do right to explain the inexplicable?

Meh. Remember a hit can have some human judgment to hit, meaning some of those might have been borderline error or hit calls.

Maybe though there is something to this. Remember in 2008 when the Twins hit a pretty lucky .305 with RISP? By comparison, AL average for that year was .273 (the next closest to the Twins was Baltimore at .287) Things like that tend to correct themselves, as we saw in game 163. Maybe another "correction" is possible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
The Twins cannot win games outside. Getting out of the dome is going to kill them. Thank God the Sox are 7-0 on this roadtrip. If they were 4-3, it may be time to play taps.

It seems I was the only one that appreciated this.

They aren't lucky. They've done this too long to be lucky. It isn't the dome. They have really solid teams.

You could say we are lucky to have won 7 in a row coming from behind in a lot of them while giving up so many outs. The twins are a great offense with good pitching starting and bullpen. Teams like that tend to do well in the regular season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 11:52 PM)

They aren't lucky. They've done this too long to be lucky. It isn't the dome. They have really solid teams.

You could say we are lucky to have won 7 in a row coming from behind in a lot of them while giving up so many outs. The twins are a great offense with good pitching starting and bullpen. Teams like that tend to do well in the regular season.

certain events that have transpired for the twins (e.g. the catwalk in tampa, the bizarre final out of the texas game yesterday) fall outside the realm of "great offense and good pitching". that's just pure, unadulterated luck.

as far as winning that many one-run games...it's partially luck, but certainly not entirely. and our recent string of comebacks is, likewise, partially luck. what really gets me is their bizarre deus-ex-machina wins, not the close victories.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Meh. Remember a hit can have some human judgment to hit, meaning some of those might have been borderline error or hit calls.

Maybe though there is something to this. Remember in 2008 when the Twins hit a pretty lucky .305 with RISP? By comparison, AL average for that year was .273 (the next closest to the Twins was Baltimore at .287) Things like that tend to correct themselves, as we saw in game 163. Maybe another "correction" is possible.

That is what I am thinking, there is some sort of baseball correction due. People in this game always see things tend to correct themselves over a 162 game schedule, cough San Diego Padres cough!! The point being after the dome rafter win, the texas rangers contact with the runner win, and 5 of their last 7 wins coming at home in games that they were out-hit....SOMETHING HAS GOTTA GIVE!!!! Especially with the sox win 7 road games in a row and not making up any ground during that period. Its one of those baseball oddities that sees an inevitable correction....RIGHT??

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)

Yeah they have a great bullpen and offense everyone knows this, and looking at the macro level you would say that is going to win you 90+ games, or keep you in the race all year. But that is not the reason u get wins in TB from the rafter, a blown call by the 3B ump against texas, and certiantly is not the reason they at the micro level they have won 5 of their last 7 games by being out hit by their opponents at home. I am looking at the micro level, a few odd games over their 162 game schedule, you cant compare that the Macro issues, its apples and oranges.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
We seem to be the exact opposite in run production lately. Getting 3 or 4 runs for every 10 plus hits. Thank Ozzieball for that and all the outs we keep giving up each game.

No one was talking about ozzieball and the whitesox run production, but thanks for your meaningless side comments. Did you forget the whitesox are 2nd in the AL in batting with RISP at .281. Looks like you did.

i think the twins problem is a 2 headed monster.

1) managing - gardenhire keeps that team believing in itself, makes the right moves, and doesn't overdo matchups. he also values hustle players, and hustle helps you make the other team make mistakes, leading to lucky wins.

2) farm system - our examples have been sale and beckham, look how much they helped our teams when they joined. young players energize the team and when they play well, they can really help. the twins consistently bring up quality prospects and fill them in spots they need.

they just out manage and out depth our sox, but sometimes talent trumps and we win the division and/or world series. they haven't even gotten to a world series, so ill take our team.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
No one was talking about ozzieball and the whitesox run production, but thanks for your meaningless side comments. Did you forget the whitesox are 2nd in the AL in batting with RISP at .281. Looks like you did.

Put me on ignore if you're going to be a douche.

They did it again, scored 4 runs on 5 hits, Royals had 3 runs on 8 hits. Thats 5 wins in the last 9 games in which the Twins have been outhit (at home) and won the game. I swear to you this is absolutely insane and something you will never see again.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
i think the twins problem is a 2 headed monster.

1) managing - gardenhire keeps that team believing in itself, makes the right moves, and doesn't overdo matchups. he also values hustle players, and hustle helps you make the other team make mistakes, leading to lucky wins.

2) farm system - our examples have been sale and beckham, look how much they helped our teams when they joined. young players energize the team and when they play well, they can really help. the twins consistently bring up quality prospects and fill them in spots they need.

they just out manage and out depth our sox, but sometimes talent trumps and we win the division and/or world series. they haven't even gotten to a world series, so ill take our team.

oops...Twins - World Series Champions in 87' and 91'. It's been a while, but they've been there.

The reason they win close games and stat oddities, is cause they don't make mistakes. They make you beat them, they aren't going to help with stupid mistakes.