Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Cockroaches freak me out. I can deal with most bugs, but not those nasty little bastards.

They can fly?

Some types of cockroaches can. I distinctly remember the 1st time I saw one - I was 10 and had just moved to Memphis. My brother and I freaked...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Looks like both of the cockroaches that I killed in my house last week... We have some "Amazon" ones in the South. Some of them can fly too. Those are the worst.

When I first moved to TN a while back (spent about 3.5 years there), I was introduced to the concept of "inside" cockroaches vs "outside" cockroaches. You don't want the "outside" ones "inside" your house, lest they eat your dog/cat. Jeebus.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I feel blessed to say that I don't believe I've ever seen a cockroach in person.

Also never been stung by a bee or wasp.

Jeebus. Do you live in a box?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
I feel blessed to say that I don't believe I've ever seen a cockroach in person.

Also never been stung by a bee or wasp.

My work-study student aid job in college was to wrangle and rear multiple generations of two different cockroach species for an evolutionary ecology project a PhD student was wiring on. Although I developed a contact dermatitis afer a couple of years of being up to my elbows in roach dander, I was never in the slightest bit creeped out by them. I have honestly been racking my brain trying to come up with something that gives me the willies to add to the other thread, and I can't come up with a single thing.

That's not to say I like getting button by mosquitoes, or stung/bitten by fire ants, or that I want vermin in my house. But I'm just genuinely fascinated by all of the creepy crawlies, and the snakes and bats and hagfish and such.

Tomorrow is a big day as my wife and I take our first born off to college for her freshman year. I guess it's just starting to hit me. Ugh...maybe i would have been better off having boys. All i can think of now is that old saying "If you have a boy you just have to worry about one penis...if you have a girl you have to worry about them all!!"

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Tomorrow is a big day as my wife and I take our first born off to college for her freshman year. I guess it's just starting to hit me. Ugh...maybe i would have been better off having boys. All i can think of now is that old saying "If you have a boy you just have to worry about one penis...if you have a girl you have to worry about them all!!"

My mom started crying when my parents dropped me off at SIU for the first time. I was like, "What the hell is wrong with you?" Wasn't expecting it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
My mom started crying when my parents dropped me off at SIU for the first time. I was like, "What the hell is wrong with you?" Wasn't expecting it.

Tears of joy, obviously.

I don't remember my mom crying when she dropped me off at SIU back in the 80's. I guess she was happy to get rid of me.

My parents held it together pretty well when they dropped me off but the 3 calls a day thing got pretty annoying during the first few weeks.

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)

Good. Good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
By "The rest" Steve means his memory of the next 3 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
I think 3 is probably a little short.

I can piece certain things together.