Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
When you give the government ahold of something, they can do what they like with it. Leaving open the chance for companies to put "additives" in the marijuana.

If you can decriminalize, you can have dispensaries distribute (also making it so that you'll need a license to obtain).

Ah; I figured it was something along those lines. I definitely understand that viewpoint, and mostly agree with it -- as long as it also meant that testing positive for it wouldn't be a fireable/reprehensible offense. Basically, making it so that it was entirely legal, it just couldn't be sold in stores. But selling would be legal, possession, etc. Granted, if the government were to go that far, I doubt they'd miss out on all the tax dollars by not legalizing it.

I really just don't get it. Alcohol is a more harmful drug than marijuana; if people bring up the "yeah but it's still smoke and that's bad for you" argument, the incredibly easy rebuttal of "Then let's make tobacco illegal" waits to meet them.

I think my underlying anger with this is that I can't stand it when people in general accept that things are legal or illegal, without attempting to understand the reason why that's so (and if they can't reason why, questioning why it's so). It's excruciatingly frustrating.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
Ah; I figured it was something along those lines. I definitely understand that viewpoint, and mostly agree with it -- as long as it also meant that testing positive for it wouldn't be a fireable/reprehensible offense. Basically, making it so that it was entirely legal, it just couldn't be sold in stores. But selling would be legal, possession, etc. Granted, if the government were to go that far, I doubt they'd miss out on all the tax dollars by not legalizing it.

I really just don't get it. Alcohol is a more harmful drug than marijuana; if people bring up the "yeah but it's still smoke and that's bad for you" argument, the incredibly easy rebuttal of "Then let's make tobacco illegal" waits to meet them.

I think my underlying anger with this is that I can't stand it when people in general accept that things are legal or illegal, without attempting to understand the reason why that's so (and if they can't reason why, questioning why it's so). It's excruciatingly frustrating.

It's honestly retarded. Decriminalize it already.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
If there were simply a zero-tolerance rule for "DWH" then there's really no reason not to do so.

I've always understood that that is one of the huge obstacles preventing the legalization.

The fact that there isn't really a good test that can be administered on the side of the road to check if somebody is driving under the influence like they can do with breathalyzers.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I've always understood that that is one of the huge obstacles preventing the legalization.

The fact that there isn't really a good test that can be administered on the side of the road to check if somebody is driving under the influence like they can do with breathalyzers.

I think you're right that this is one of the biggest barriers. However, I think there could be tests similar to field sobriety tests that aren't a breathalyzer (walk in a straight line or whatever, those sorts of things) that could be modified to fit the behavior of someone who just smoked.

I want to say NORML has already come up with some possible guidelines on how this exact problem could be worked out, but I'm not sure. Lemme do some digging.

This isn't quite what I was looking for, because it repeatedly references studies that say driving high is better than driving drunk. That may be true, but I don't want it to sound like driving after (or while) smoking is a good idea -- IMO it's definitely not. Some people say they have no problem, they're fine, whatever...but I'm calling bulls***. It slows down reaction time too much for me to believe people who are stoned are just as good at driving as when they're stoned.

Yes, that above page does say that it's never a good idea to drive while high, but I still don't like the way they presented their argument. I'll keep looking.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
I think you're right that this is one of the biggest barriers. However, I think there could be tests similar to field sobriety tests that aren't a breathalyzer (walk in a straight line or whatever, those sorts of things) that could be modified to fit the behavior of someone who just smoked.

I want to say NORML has already come up with some possible guidelines on how this exact problem could be worked out, but I'm not sure. Lemme do some digging.

I think most cops already have a pretty good idea when someone is high.

Secondly, marijuana already has been vastly decriminalized. Not completely, but it's pretty simple to get your hands on if you are a smoker.

Finally, you guys are concerned about additives from a regulated product? Seems to be there would be a lot more concern about additives from some jackass that sells it out of the back of his trunk than were it to be sold by a reputable company. Especially considering all the organically grown products on the market right now, I am sure there would be plenty very good products available, were it to become legalized and regulated.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)

Secondly, marijuana already has been vastly decriminalized. Not completely, but it's pretty simple to get your hands on if you are a smoker.

Finally, you guys are concerned about additives from a regulated product? Seems to be there would be a lot more concern about additives from some jackass that sells it out of the back of his trunk than were it to be sold by a reputable company. Especially considering all the organically grown products on the market right now, I am sure there would be plenty very good products available, were it to become legalized and regulated.

I think you're right in regards to your first point, but it's the kind of thing that, for court purposes, would likely need to be quantified.

As to the second point, you're kind of right. In most places, it's not too much worse than being a minor caught with alcohol. But there's a big difference in "almost there" and "there."

I agree with your assertion that, considering the plethora of organic stuff, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. But I also don't think it's at far fetched to think there would be a Marlboro of weed that would add all kinds of crazy stuff we wouldn't know about. As far as how that compares to now, I'd surmise that there's a very community regulated approach (even if you have no idea who the other members of that community are). That is, if a dude sells someone a bag that's laced with something, no one's going to buy from him. Even if it's a normally reputable guy who gets a bad batch (which is highly unlikely, but in in any case), it will be discovered pretty damn quick, I would guess.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)

Sure it's simple to get my hands if you know people, but here in Illinois if I were to get caught with it I'd get a $1500 fine minimum. If it were completely decriminalized then it'd be possible for me to have a license to have it. Getting ahold of it isn't the issue, it's the fact that if I get pulled over & the cops want to search the vehicle or myself I could be f***ed.

I wouldn't say I'm concerned about additives, just aware that it could very well happen. You have to do something to get people coming back to buy your product. So why not use an unfair advantage. Although, I'm sure there would be a company or two to do things the right way.

As for buying from the jackass who may add stuff? That's why you don't buy from randoms.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Letters of Note (it's possibly my favorite Google Reader subscription), but here's a really good one. It's a fax cover sheet sent by David Foster Wallace to Harper's Magazine with instructions on how to edit (or not edit) it.

This also reminds me I need to read Infinite Jest.

I just watched the most heartbreaking video I've ever seen, a 2 year old toddler in China gets run over and while she's lying there bleeding, people walk by and nobody does anything to help her, then another car runs over her again!WTF is wrong with people!She's lying there outside a market and not one person helps her until her mother picks her up almost 8 minutes after she was first run over.

Obviouslly I hope nothing but the worst for the 2 drivers as it was not a simple accident, the first driver just callously ran over her but the people that did nothing to aid her, I pray their souls rot in hell.

I'm not gonna post a link to the video, it's on Youtube but it's really hard to watch.

My heart goes out to that poor little kid, humanity failed you...RIP.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Letters of Note (it's possibly my favorite Google Reader subscription), but here's a really good one. It's a fax cover sheet sent by David Foster Wallace to Harper's Magazine with instructions on how to edit (or not edit) it.

This also reminds me I need to read Infinite Jest.

Do that ASAP. Great book.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
I just watched the most heartbreaking video I've ever seen, a 2 year old toddler in China gets run over and while she's lying there bleeding, people walk by and nobody does anything to help her, then another car runs over her again!WTF is wrong with people!She's lying there outside a market and not one person helps her until her mother picks her up almost 8 minutes after she was first run over.

Obviouslly I hope nothing but the worst for the 2 drivers as it was not a simple accident, the first driver just callously ran over her but the people that did nothing to aid her, I pray their souls rot in hell.

I'm not gonna post a link to the video, it's on Youtube but it's really hard to watch.

My heart goes out to that poor little kid, humanity failed you...RIP.

i actually saw it on CNN, and yes it is horrible. The first guy on the scooter that drives past her is the worst(aside from the drivers). He looks down at her like she is just in the way like a piece of trash

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
I can safely say that I am getting old. Today I got my first paycheck after being unemployed for two months and bought a couple shirts for work and a coat. What happened to me? I used to be cool.

I get super-jazzed when Express has their dress shirts on buy one get one half off and I can combine them with a coupon.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
I can safely say that I am getting old. Today I got my first paycheck after being unemployed for two months and bought a couple shirts for work and a coat. What happened to me? I used to be cool.

You were never cool.