Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yup, Miami is going to get fried here.

I cant be upset because I'm not shocked at all. This crap is happening at all major programs but when you add in a glamour city like Miami, its going to be 1000 times worse.

I want to comment on this stupid ass booster but I dont want to come across as trying to pass some of the blame off of the players.

So does this mean the 2010 Miami-OSU game is a tie now? haha

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
That story about the U was an entertaining read. Why is that Yahoo is the only whoever comes up with these stories? I assume its cause they don't have the money invested that ESPN does, but they are connected with Rivals now.

Well maybe this is why Yahoo doesnt spend much time going after SEC schools. I gotta think Rivals makes atleast 60% of their revenue off of subscription services bought in SEC country.

I hope Miami gets thrown the book, regardless of what they did/didn't know. It's about time the NCAA starts holding schools accountable for the people they bring into the school. I get it, they're kids being offered money, cars, women, etc. That's a hard temptation. But you know what, the players getting these types of perks are players that'll be able to get that stuff if they just wait 2-3 years for the pros.

College football has long been a broken system where you only have about 10 teams with an actual shot at the title. This behind the scenes stuff with boosters just kills any legitimacy in the sport.

I just read the Yahoo! stories. I dunno how Miami doesn't escape the "death penalty" punishment. The guy was known by everyone at the school, even the President. He wasn't hiding at all. Everyone there knew what was going on, for years and years. Despicable.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Well maybe this is why Yahoo doesnt spend much time going after SEC schools. I gotta think Rivals makes atleast 60% of their revenue off of subscription services bought in SEC country.

I think it's more that the SEC schools do a better job covering their tracks. While almost everyone cheats, those schools are basically professionals at it now. However, your point about the percentage of revenue off SEC subscriptions is probably true, so maybe you're right.

Either way, I've never seen a story even in the same galaxy in terms of severity of cheating as this Miami one. While they aren't the only school who took cheating to this level, they are really the only one (in my lifetime anyways) to get caught at this level. I seriously think the death penalty will be in play for them in punishment discussion.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
College football has long been a broken system where you only have about 10 teams with an actual shot at the title. This behind the scenes stuff with boosters just kills any legitimacy in the sport.

Even if you had some magic button to push that could eliminate all the shadiness, its still not going to make teams outside of the 10-20 top ones automatically contenders for championships. They simply dont have the facilities nor the actual location to pull in the top talent. You can clearly trace where the top college programs are by looking at the areas where more of the top recruits are from.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I think it's more that the SEC schools do a better job covering their tracks. While almost everyone cheats, those schools are basically professionals at it now. However, your point about the percentage of revenue off SEC subscriptions is probably true, so maybe you're right.

Either way, I've never seen a story even in the same galaxy in terms of severity of cheating as this Miami one. While they aren't the only school who took cheating to this level, they are really the only one (in my lifetime anyways) to get caught at this level. I seriously think the death penalty will be in play for them in punishment discussion.

Today at 3pm, its supposed to be revealed who the bag man was that paid for Cam Newton.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Even if you had some magic button to push that could eliminate all the shadiness, its still not going to make teams outside of the 10-20 top ones automatically contenders for championships. They simply dont have the facilities nor the actual location to pull in the top talent. You can clearly trace where the top college programs are by looking at the areas where more of the top recruits are from.

If you took all of the illegal stuff out of recruiting (not sure if that's possible, but for the sake of argument we'll throw the scenario out there), the top programs would mostly stay the same. There would be a few changes, but I think in this scenario most kids would just play close to home. And home for most of the top recruits is Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, Ohio, Louisiana, South Carolina, etc.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Today at 3pm, its supposed to be revealed who the bag man was that paid for Cam Newton.

That'll be interesting. I still don't think it'll come close to topping Miami giving (at least) 80 some players illegal benefits though. A funny part of this is Miami didn't even get every player involved in this to sign with them. My question is what did those kids get offered from the schools they went to that caused them NOT to go to Miami? I'd bet anything they weren't free.