Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

Bama is probably the 2nd best team in the country, but I hate seeing teams in the BCS Championship game that didnt even make it to their conference title game. Sometimes we are at the mercy of consistency and that has to be valuing the conference win of Ok St IMO.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Bama is probably the 2nd best team in the country, but I hate seeing teams in the BCS Championship game that didnt even make it to their conference title game. Sometimes we are at the mercy of consistency and that has to be valuing the conference win of Ok St IMO.

See this makes no difference in my mind. You look at the body of work and that's it. I also caught how you said made it to the championship game not necessarily win it...if LSU lost last night, you could play the "didn't even win the conference!" argument going. Which again, I don't think matters.

I didn't want the rematch either and said as much in the thread. But then everyone else played themselves out of it. If that's what we get, that's fine.

OSU had 5 wins over the last top 25 BCS teams. Alabama had 2. OSU has 7 wins over teams with winning records while Alabama has 3. OSU won their conference, Alabam did not. Anyone who thinks Alabama is more deserving is crazy. They are going to go to the NC game based on being Alabama, and also having more preseason votes. But that is the system we have to deal with.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
OSU had 5 wins over the last top 25 BCS teams. Alabama had 2. OSU has 7 wins over teams with winning records while Alabama has 3. OSU won their conference, Alabam did not. Anyone who thinks Alabama is more deserving is crazy. They are going to go to the NC game based on being Alabama, and also having more preseason votes. But that is the system we have to deal with.

How is thinking Alabama deserving a title spot crazy if you think they are the second best team in the country.

OK-State fans can cry all they want but all they had to do was beat a 6-6 Iowa State team and there is no debate whatsoever.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
Because there is simply not enough to base that on.

Says who? People who dont want to see a rematch of two SEC teams.

I dont need computers to tell me who the top 2 teams in the country are. I've seen Alabama and OK State play enough to say that Alabama is the better team. It's not Alabama's fault that Florida,Auburn and Miss St decided to have a big drop off from last season.

Alabama has 4 wins against teams that were in the top 25 when they faced them. Oklahoma State has 4 wins against top 25 teams when they faced them too.

I dont think VT is deserving of the Sugar Bowl but Herbstreit needs to get off his Boise St soap box. I'm sorry ESPN invested the past 2 years in showing Boise games(on Fridays because ESPN wants the best ratings in pushing their agenda) only to have Boise choke and let you down both years.

So its ok that ESPN does whats in their best interest for ratings but when the Sugar Bowl wants a matchup not involving low fan base numbers like K-State,Boise,TCU and Baylor its a bad thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
FSU is incredibly boring. Most ND fans I know want ND to lose if it means Rees never starts again.

The ND fans you know are idiots. Rees is the best option. Not enough experience to just throw him aside.

You guys must hate pitcher's duels too. So baseball is no fun without 10-12 runs?

I will say this. The rematch will have more points scored because both teams will employ more agressive game plans. Both teams were very conservative in the first game.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
You guys must hate pitcher's duels too. So baseball is no fun without 10-12 runs?

What one touchdown is too much to ask? The last game didn't have one freaking touchdown! Not one! That's like a 1-0 baseball game going 10 innings.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
I can't believe you're serious. Of course, you don't watch much college football anyway.

Iowa St > LSU?

Oklahoma State played a better schedule in a better conference and has better wins. The only tangible argument for Alabama is their loss is better, but their loss is to a team they don't deserve a rematch with anyway. Alabama didn't win (or tie) for their conference, they didn't win (or tie) for their division. To have them in the national championship game is hilariously stupid.

And I'm tired of people saying "Alabama is the second best team". How do we know? Because they played well against Arkansas at home and won at an overrated Penn State outfit? Oklahoma State absolutely destroyed Baylor and Oklahoma, who are both far better than anybody Alabama beat short of Arkansas. I can't say for sure they are better than Alabama, but I can't say for sure they aren't either. So I have to go on resumes, and theirs is clearly the better of the two.

Luckily, for ESPN, their promoting the Alabama/LSU National Title game last night because it serves their personal best interests helped keep Alabama high enough in all of the polls to play in this imaginary title game. Quite frankly, LSU should get a share of the title even if they lose. They would be 13-1 to Alabama's 12-1, have a 1-1 record against them (with the win on the road), and have a far better overall resume.

Edited by whitesoxfan101