Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Rumors out there that Illinois may land Kevin Sumlin as its next head coach. If Thomas is able to hire Sumlin and somehow keep Koenning on the staff as DC I will be elated.

Getting a good offense centered head coach while keeping Koenning would be huge.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
If the minor conference teams are just going to be counted out before the season starts, then they shouldn't be considered Division I to begin with.

There's a difference between totally eliminating them from consideration and giving them an auto-bid to the playoffs. This isn't like the NCAA tournament when pretty much every major conference team that had a remotely decent year gets in as well, you'd be taking their champion over a lot of quality teams every single year.

If one of them runs the table, fine, give them a chance to get stomped by Alabama. But there has to be some kind of minimum qualifier for getting into this thing. It doesn't just apply to the non-BCS teams either, we've seen some teams from the Big East and ACC make the BCS in recent years that probably wouldn't have deserved a shot to win it all.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

There's a difference between totally eliminating them from consideration and giving them an auto-bid to the playoffs. This isn't like the NCAA tournament when pretty much every major conference team that had a remotely decent year gets in as well, you'd be taking their champion over a lot of quality teams every single year.

If one of them runs the table, fine, give them a chance to get stomped by Alabama. But there has to be some kind of minimum qualifier for getting into this thing. It doesn't just apply to the non-BCS teams either, we've seen some teams from the Big East and ACC make the BCS in recent years that probably wouldn't have deserved a shot to win it all.

I said several posts back that I favored giving 8 auto bids to conference champions. In most years that's the BCS conferences plus the MWC and either WAC or CUSA, but an undefeated MAC or SBC team would probably crack the Top 8, and I'm not really interested in seeing any MAC or SBC team in a playoff if they aren't undefeated.

Of course, TCU is headed to the Big 12 and it looks like Boise St, San Diego St, and Houston among others to the Big East is almost final, so there may not be any worthwhile teams outside the BCS conferences anymore anyway.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
I said several posts back that I favored giving 8 auto bids to conference champions. In most years that's the BCS conferences plus the MWC and either WAC or CUSA, but an undefeated MAC or SBC team would probably crack the Top 8, and I'm not really interested in seeing any MAC or SBC team in a playoff if they aren't undefeated.

Of course, TCU is headed to the Big 12 and it looks like Boise St, San Diego St, and Houston among others to the Big East is almost final, so there may not be any worthwhile teams outside the BCS conferences anymore anyway.

Yeah, that's why I didn't propose a number for conferences I'd give auto-bids, you just don't know what they're all going to look like. I'm not even a fan of auto-bids period because the worst auto-bid is probably going to be worse than several of the "wildcards", but I realize that's the only way you're going to get the major conferences to buy in to the system.

In a theoretical system, I'd like to see the 5/6 conferences that merit AQ status still getting them, the top-2 non-AQ teams getting in and the rest be wildcards. Just nothing that guarantees one or more current non-AQ conference members with 2 or more losses getting in.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Not sure if I am a fan of hiring Sumlin. What's his record without Case Keenum as quarterback?

5-7, but he was also averaging over 30 points a game with a third string true freshman quarterback.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Rumors out there that Illinois may land Kevin Sumlin as its next head coach. If Thomas is able to hire Sumlin and somehow keep Koenning on the staff as DC I will be elated.

Sumlin not much of a recruiter is my only issue, but at this point Sumlin with VK staying is best case scenerio.

In a 12 or 16 team playoff, are you people using the bowl system? Are you using home games? Neutral site games?

I imagine tickets would be tough to sell if you didn't do home games. People don't have the time and cash to travel across the country every weekend, especially if they think their team can advance and make it further. They'd save up for the NC game. If you're an LSU fan, are you traveling somewhere to watch a 1-16 game? Are you traveling for a 1-8 game? Just food for thought.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
In a 12 or 16 team playoff, are you people using the bowl system? Are you using home games? Neutral site games?

I imagine tickets would be tough to sell if you didn't do home games. People don't have the time and cash to travel across the country every weekend, especially if they think their team can advance and make it further. They'd save up for the NC game. If you're an LSU fan, are you traveling somewhere to watch a 1-16 game? Are you traveling for a 1-8 game? Just food for thought.

Good point. I would imagine first round home games for the higher seed as a reward for a good regular season, but under a 12-team format the bye AND home could be a little too big an edge. Definitely a logistical issue.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)
The playoff system would be easy: 11 conference champions and 5 wild card teams. Shorten the regular season to 10 or 11 games if you have to, and do that. Very similar to what 1-AA did before expanding their playoffs last season. The system would make such an incredible amount of money, and in that sense, I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet.

I can tell you this much, if NIU were getting ready to play at Alabama in the 1st round of the tournament right now, I'd be incredibly excited. Even with the knowledge that we had absolutely no shot at winning the game.

In the meantime though, I'll just hope for a plus 1. Baby steps.

I see ZERO chance teams are going to shorten the season. It got more difficult to get a playoff done when they added the 12th game a few years ago. I'm not sure I would want to see 16 teams like you propose, but I am warming up to an 8 team playoff if and only if they play the first round games on campus sites and there is some kind of committe like they do in basketball to choose the 8 teams. I'm not sure it could work if you gave automatic bids to conferences, but that may be the only way. Problem is, to do a playoff the BCS schools will have to turn it over to the NCAA and that is what they are trying to avoid.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
There has to be a better way than this. A plus one at the very least. Just because it's an upgrade over an older system doesn't mean you shouldn't keep striving to perfect it, or even change it entirely if it's causing too many problems. I went from the biggest BCS supporter ever years ago (and seemingly the only one of my friends) to someone that's just said f*** it, we at least need a plus one.

Krush, I have no problem with that line of thinking. My biggest thing is so many people react like this BCS thing is the worst thing ever, when in actuality it is the best system we've ever had. Making it better is fine by me, I'm just not sure how you do a playoff without there being even more b****ing. If you go 8 teams (and that is as big as I think it will ever get) do you give conference champions automatic bids? How do you handle the non-BCS schools? Would we really be better off having West Virginia and a 3-loss Clemson in an 8 team tournament and leaving better teams to the bowls? God forbid UCLA would have upset Oregon and gotten in at 7-6.

Alternately, one of the announcers this weekend proposed something I thought was interesting. He suggested a plus one with the losers in the first round going to the bowls so the bowls don't get shortchanged. Not sure if it would actually work, but it was interesting nonetheless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
That is entirely subjective, which is the whole problem. Give me the tourney any day, even if they screwed it up with class ball.

Yes, but my point was a new system is not always better than an old one, i.e class ball. What I am trying to say is someone will always have a problem with whatever system is in place.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Oh ya, because I b**** about every other playoff(keyword there) system that we have in sports. And who gives a s*** if it's the best system we've had, those sucked and this one f***in sucks. There is not a thing worse in sports than the BCS, it's f***in garbage.

And it pains me that I'm so indifferent about the NC in a sport that I love. I'm one of the biggest college sports fans around but this stupid system is completely ruining the game for me.

No one is forcing you to watch!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
I fully expect them to demolish VT by 20+, and thats from a buckeye.

Will you people stop it?? I'm totally not comfortable with Michigan being in the role of favorite yet. I need more time (aka another season)!!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:01 AM)
Krush, I have no problem with that line of thinking. My biggest thing is so many people react like this BCS thing is the worst thing ever, when in actuality it is the best system we've ever had. Making it better is fine by me, I'm just not sure how you do a playoff without there being even more b****ing.

Even if all you did was take the top 8 of the BCS rankings rather than the top 2, that would be a big improvement. There's a much lower chance of Championship-caliber teams getting cut out.