2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic of Derek Jeter moving down in the Yankees order just came up on Baseball Tonight. John Kruk said no because "If you move him down and he struggles, then what do you do?"

The answer, John, is to leave him down there, or to bench his motherf***ing ass. Giving one of your worst hitters the most or second most at bats on the team is the very description of offensive disaster. And, unlike most teams that still use the traditional lead off hitter, the Yankees have a f***ing ton of guys who are better options, including Brett Gardner.

BTW, don't ask why I was watching, because I don't know myself.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
The topic of Derek Jeter moving down in the Yankees order just came up on Baseball Tonight. John Kruk said no because "If you move him down and he struggles, then what do you do?"

The answer, John, is to leave him down there, or to bench his motherf***ing ass. Giving one of your worst hitters the most or second most at bats on the team is the very description of offensive disaster. And, unlike most teams that still use the traditional lead off hitter, the Yankees have a f***ing ton of guys who are better options, including Brett Gardner.

BTW, don't ask why I was watching, because I don't know myself.

ESPN is going to be pure comedy if Jeter continues to decline, just wait until the s***-storm that will happen if they discuss moving him from SS permanently.

For my own sanity I watch minimal ESPN baseball coverage, so did anyone over there actually say the Yankees were probably right in the Jeter/NYY off-season conflict?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
I don't care if Jackson goes Felix Hernandez this year. If he walks after this year then the trade will have been a colossal fail. Hudson is right on par with Jackson from a talent/stuff perspective. And he likely has better command/control. Forgot about AL/NL crap. And Arizona has another 5 years or so before they have to worry about losing him to FA.

You say the most ridiculous s***. In the case that Edwin Jackson were to "go Felix Hernandez this year", he would win the Cy Young and likely anchor the White Sox starting staff for a deep postseason run. But who cares about that?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:44 AM)
You say the most ridiculous s***. In the case that Edwin Jackson were to "go Felix Hernandez this year", he would win the Cy Young and likely anchor the White Sox starting staff for a deep postseason run. But who cares about that?

Will you stop watching/following White Sox baseball for the next 5 years if we go deep into the playoffs or even win the WS? Winning the WS is obviously the ultimate. But I'd like to be good every year, or as often as possible. We're set up to win this year and possibly next. For some fans, that's enough. They don't care about 2013 or 2014. And that's fine. I think like a GM. Well, not KW, obviously.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
I still think they make the playoffs.

Im wondering why you think they still make the playoffs when no team has ever gone 0-6 and made the playoffs, much less even finished with a winning record

There is a better chance they finish with a winning record, but I am gonna stick with the "they aint making the playoffs" I believe in the numbers..

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:18 AM)
Im wondering why you think they still make the playoffs when no team has ever gone 0-6 and made the playoffs, much less even finished with a winning record

There is a better chance they finish with a winning record, but I am gonna stick with the "they aint making the playoffs" I believe in the numbers..

How many teams have gone 0-6?

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)

I'm assuming you expect the Yankees to win that division. So what AL central or west team do you expect to grab the WC?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:57 AM)
Will you stop watching/following White Sox baseball for the next 5 years if we go deep into the playoffs or even win the WS? Winning the WS is obviously the ultimate. But I'd like to be good every year, or as often as possible. We're set up to win this year and possibly next. For some fans, that's enough. They don't care about 2013 or 2014. And that's fine. I think like a GM. Well, not KW, obviously.

Clearly, that is what I was trying to say. Do you really think anybody who posts on this board wants that? This is a message board populated by people that are complete nerds about the Chicago White Sox. This is what I was trying to say --- in plain, easy to understand language:

THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE HUDSON TRADE AT THIS POINT.

It's been almost nine months since the trade happened. Stop obsessing over it.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 06:58 AM)
Clearly, that is what I was trying to say. Do you really think anybody who posts on this board wants that? This is a message board populated by people that are complete nerds about the Chicago White Sox. This is what I was trying to say --- in plain, easy to understand language:

THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE HUDSON TRADE AT THIS POINT.

It's been almost nine months since the trade happened. Stop obsessing over it.

Trust me. If Jackson walks and Hudson proves that last year was no fluke, they'll be dozens that obsess over it. You won't even notice me.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:32 AM)
Josh Hamilton is an idiot! He broke his arm on a terrible slide, and blamed the coaching staff. Learn to slide, Junior! Lift and tap.. LIFT AND TAP! Don't land on your arms!

To be fair...he's probably right, that wasn't the place to send your top flight MVP winning OF who doesn't run extremely well towards home plate.

We'd be furious if one of our guys was sent home on a play like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
To be fair...he's probably right, that wasn't the place to send your top flight MVP winning OF who doesn't run extremely well towards home plate.

We'd be furious if one of our guys was sent home on a play like that.

And if Hamilton slides feet first, there is no problem.

0-6 or 2-9 at the beginning of the season is the same thing as 2-8 or 10-17 throughout the course of the regular season.

The 2002 Athletics went 10-17 in May (which, WL+/-, is equivalent to 2-9) and won 103 games (they won 20 games in a row, but you can do that by going 30-10 or 40-20). The 2005 Astros were 15 games under .500 at one point and won 89 games. Hell, the 2010 Baltimore Orioles won 32 games in 105 games with Dave Trembley and Juan Samuel as their manager, and then won 34 of their next 57 with Buck, and, through the continuation of last year, have won 40 of 66 (which is a .607 winning percentage, or a 98 win pace) with him. The very last part is relatively meaningless, but the sheer fact that the Red Sox have gotten off to a poor start means absolutely jacks*** with regards to their long-term success this year. I can pretty much guarantee that every good team at some point in time this season will have a stretch where they play 7 games below .500...all we as fans will have to do is cherry pick that statistic.

It is pretty cool to think that the White Sox took 2 of 3 from the Indians and 3 of 4 from the Rays, and both those teams either swept/won/could sweep their first series with the Red Sox. I'm all about the Red Sox losing. I hate them more than the Twins, Yankees, or Cubs (and quite frankly, hate them more than those 3 fan bases all together). Suggesting that they won't make the playoffs because they went 0-6 to start the regular season is quite ridiculous.

It'd be pretty comparable to saying that a team that was losing by 31 points halfway into the 3rd quarter of the first game of the NFL season has never gone on to make the playoffs. I don't care if that is correct or not - I'm about 99.8% sure it's incorrect because the last time the Bills beat the Patriots, it was Bledsoe's first game and they ended up winning either 38-3 or 31-3 and then went 5-11, losing by the same score to the Pats later that season - because instead that it's really motherf***ing early and that a coincidental statistic like that means absolutely nothing.

Now, if you wanted to point to holes in their bullpen or rotation or that perhaps their lineup isn't actually good somehow (and it's definitely possible, considering Youkilis has never consistently played 3B and is relatively mediocre at 3B and is coming off injury, Gonzalez is in his first go around of the AL, Ellsbury didn't play much last year, David Ortiz and JD Drew are 35 and are both coming off a relatively mediocre seasons, Saltalamacchia and Scutaro blow, and that Crawford may have an adjustment period when great expectations are put upon him), then, yeah, I'll listen. Don't bring that 0-6 BS though. You're better than that.

Edited by witesoxfan

I don't see the wild card coming from the AL Central or West right now, and I sure don't see Toronto, Baltimore, or Tampa Bay having a better record at the seasons end. The 0-6 thing is a nice number, but no team had ever come back from 0-3 in a playoff series to win either, and we all know how that turned out for Boston.

Plus the Yankees usually do exactly what Boston has done to this point... Sign free agents, make big trades, start slow... That is usually followed by gel in June, get hot, finish strong, and make the playoffs.

I could end up being wrong, but I just don't see who is ahead of them right now that will be ahead of them in October. Hopefully I am wrong because I would love to see the panic if the Red Sox didn't make it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)

Oh come on now, J...this is beyond ridiculous...do you really take yourself that seriously? :)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Albert Pujols had 3 singles yesterday to raise his average to .200 with 7 GIDPs on the year so far. Bad timing for him, is anybody going to want to sign him this offseason?

Yeah, if you think 10 games is going to discourage teams from signing Albert, you're crazy. If they have the money, that is the last thing that they are worried about. The only thing that will hurt him, is if he gets exposed for streroids. Other than that, it is all about how big of a deal can he find.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Yeah, if you think 10 games is going to discourage teams from signing Albert, you're crazy. If they have the money, that is the last thing that they are worried about. The only thing that will hurt him, is if he gets exposed for streroids. Other than that, it is all about how big of a deal can he find.

Or if he's seriously hurt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
That part is the coaches problem. Not being stupid is up to Hamilton. There is a distinction there.

If the coach sends Hamilton home and Hamilton thinks its a stupid call, should he try as hard as he can to score the run or not?