2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 06:09 AM)
Are the Angels doing a 4 man rotation? The fact he will probably 6-0 in April is absurd.

This was a good question. Their 4-5 starters have made 2 starts a piece. Kazmir made one start before going on the DL. I guess they've taken advantage of their off days. Regardless, Weaver/Haren is by far the best 1-2 punch in the AL. Dumbass Dbacks.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
I have to imagine someone out there taking a chance and claiming him, right?

Someone will likely put in a claim, there's just seemingly too much talent there not to give him a shot at a change of scenery. Looking at some of the god awful players on rosters throughout baseball there's certainly room for him on a few teams.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Someone will likely put in a claim, there's just seemingly too much talent there not to give him a shot at a change of scenery. Looking at some of the god awful players on rosters throughout baseball there's certainly room for him on a few teams.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Its not like he has burned through 4 or 5 teams to this point. You have to see if you can solve that riddle because the reward would be huge.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Per everyone's Twitter, Brewers sign Ryan Braun to 5 year, $105 million extension for the years 2016-2020.

There was absolutely no reason to do this deal right now. Braun will be 32 before the 2016 season starts, who knows what type of player you will be getting at that time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Per everyone's Twitter, Brewers sign Ryan Braun to 5 year, $105 million extension for the years 2016-2020.

Including this year, that locks him up for 10 years.

Not sure why you do this. I think Braun is a great hitter and really is the face of that franchise at this point, but he's not an elite player. I understand giving 10 years to Troy Tulowitzki because he's easily the best shortstop in the major leagues. Braun? He just hasn't put up enough to really be worth $21 mill a year from '16-20.

He did have some signs of progress last year even though his overall numbers were down, as his BB% increased and his K% decreased. Perhaps it's a sign of things to come and he'll have his first full season with a 1.000 OPS. I tend to doubt it.

Complete PR move(which I in no way condone btw) if I had to guess. They lost Sabathia(and yes I know he was only there for half a season), they're about to lose Fielder, they just wanted to lock one of these stars up for a while and they overpaid Braun to do so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Including this year, that locks him up for 10 years.

Not sure why you do this. I think Braun is a great hitter and really is the face of that franchise at this point, but he's not an elite player. I understand giving 10 years to Troy Tulowitzki because he's easily the best shortstop in the major leagues. Braun? He just hasn't put up enough to really be worth $21 mill a year from '16-20.

He did have some signs of progress last year even though his overall numbers were down, as his BB% increased and his K% decreased. Perhaps it's a sign of things to come and he'll have his first full season with a 1.000 OPS. I tend to doubt it.

the Tulo deal is a good comp in that Braun doesn't even play a premium position. I wonder if we are looking at the next Travis Hafner here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
the Tulo deal is a good comp in that Braun doesn't even play a premium position. I wonder if we are looking at the next Travis Hafner here?

And Tulo plays elite defense at that premium position.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Complete PR move(which I in no way condone btw) if I had to guess. They lost Sabathia(and yes I know he was only there for half a season), they're about to lose Fielder, they just wanted to lock one of these stars up for a while and they overpaid Braun to do so.

Perfectly said. Rumor is the Brewers will go with a rotating 1b next year (wave of the future) and have a platoon of Kotsay and Toby Hall.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
And Tulo plays elite defense at that premium position.

I think you can make a legitimate argument that Tulowitzki is the best player in the game, or at the very least, the most valuable when considering present day production and the likelihood of success into the future. He hasn't even hit the typical prime years yet and he's already this good. Personally, I'm stoked that he's in the NL West.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
I think you can make a legitimate argument that Tulowitzki is the best player in the game, or at the very least, the most valuable when considering present day production and the likelihood of success into the future. He hasn't even hit the typical prime years yet and he's already this good. Personally, I'm stoked that he's in the NL West.

Absolutely.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)

And even in this extreme case, a 10 year deal makes you pause. For Ryan Braun it elicits more of a WTF?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
And even in this extreme case, a 10 year deal makes you pause. For Ryan Braun it elicits more of a WTF?

If I was a Brewers fan, I'd be mad cause that's less flexibility you have to fill the 1b hole after this year as well as it hurts your chances of extending Greinke.