Food changes at the Cell this year

knightni

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
What are the odds of them selling a gluten free beer? Ballgames just haven't been the same since I had to give up regular beer....

Probably pretty low odds...WTF is gluten free beer? That has to taste TERRIBLE.

A friend of mine has a gluten issue, I forget what the technical term is and I'm too lazy to look it up really quick, and I feel bad for him...he says he had to give up everything that tasted good in the world. :/

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
Whatever the DiGiornos ends up tasting like, it can't be a whole lot worse than the Connies they had before.

It should be Home Run Inn or the sort, at least a local brand but still can taste good after being frozen, IMO.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It should be Home Run Inn or the sort, at least a local brand but still can taste good after being frozen, IMO.

I always thought Home Run Inn made the most sense, being such a south side institution, and since they had already mastered making frozen versions of their pizza taste decent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
I always thought Home Run Inn made the most sense, being such a south side institution, and since they had already mastered making frozen versions of their pizza taste decent.

Too bad Home Run Inn sucks.

I live near a Home Run Inn, I hate it.

I love Geno's East and Connies for Chicago pizza...and everything else is weak.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Probably pretty low odds...WTF is gluten free beer? That has to taste TERRIBLE.

A friend of mine has a gluten issue, I forget what the technical term is and I'm too lazy to look it up really quick, and I feel bad for him...he says he had to give up everything that tasted good in the world. :/

Gluten free beer is actually not bad. Red Bridge is made by Anhueiser-Busch and it's a sorghum beer. Tastes better than Bud, easy, but not as good as, say, Bell's or microbrew stuff. It's definitely serviceable. If your friend hasn't tried it, you should make him. And the technical term is Celiac disease. And yes, pretty much everything delicious is off the board except nachos. All the stuff you guys are talking about is torture to my poor celiac soul but beer is what hurts the most :lolhitting

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Too bad Home Run Inn sucks.

I live near a Home Run Inn, I hate it.

I love Geno's East and Connies for Chicago pizza...and everything else is weak.

When you live outside of Chicago for an extended period of time, especially when you move to an area where Dominos is HQ'ed, pizza like Home Runn Inn start tasting fantastic. I agree, it's not the best out there, but for a frozen pizza that you can but around the midwest it's one of the best choices.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
When you live outside of Chicago for an extended period of time, especially when you move to an area where Dominos is HQ'ed, pizza like Home Runn Inn start tasting fantastic. I agree, it's not the best out there, but for a frozen pizza that you can but around the midwest it's one of the best choices.

I agree with this, for frozen pizzas, Home Run Inn are pretty good.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)

Opinions vary. I can have whatever pizza I want and I love home run inn. Would pick it first everytime. Best fresh, but pretty dam decent frozen.

Really looking forward to opening day and getting a dog with some grilled onions. I have to get one no matter how much I eat before the game. Also some corn off the cob. Not looking forward to the $7 bottles and kinda pissed that the giveaway opening day is no longer the magnetic schedule. I have every one going back to 2001.

I'm pretty excited about the change of Beers of the World. I would be shocked if they didn't have Three Floyd's. I think Bellls is a good call and wouldn't be surprised if Two Brothers got a beer in there as well.

Really looking forward to trying the cheesesteak. That has to be delicious and healthy. I'll definitely give the tamales a spin as well.

It's discraceful to have D'giorno's, but I never get pizza there anyway.

Just got this email back after inquiring to Brooks:

Here is a look at the beers we will be offering at our Midwest Brews locations:

Minnesota - Michelob Golden Light

Wisconsin - Leinenkugel (various flavors)

Illinois - Goose Island's Honkers and Chicago Beer Company's Windy City Wheat

Indiana - Barley Island's Bar Fly IPA

Ohio - Great Lakes Brewing Company's Dortmunder Gold

Michigan - Bell's Oberon (we will also have LaBatt Blue representing this area and the Canadians)

I hope this makes you want to stop by even more now! They will be cold and waiting for you...

Joey Nigro, General Manager

Sportservice - US Cellular Field

333 W. 35TH Street

Chicago, IL 60616

QUOTE (Sox1422 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)

Michigan - Bell's Oberon (we will also have LaBatt Blue representing this area and the Canadians)

I hope this makes you want to stop by even more now! They will be cold and waiting for you...

333 W. 35TH Street

Chicago, IL 60616

LOL @ Michelob being characterized as a local brew.

333 W. 35TH Street

Chicago, IL 60616

They could do so much better than this list. Add 3 floyds from indiana, 2 brothers from warrenville, and please take off that Great Lakes brew, I dont think thats remotely their best. Bell's Oberon will probably be my go-to from that stand now.

333 W. 35TH Street

Chicago, IL 60616

Whats with Goose Island being there and no 312? Isn't that their most popular? I've never had Windy City Wheat, how is it?

Pretty disappointed by that list, they could have done so much better, but I guess it´s a step in the right direction to improving the beer options at ballgames.

Hopefully they are willing to change the beer selection every few seasons so that the local fans can express their desires for certain beers. It would be such a great idea to have a fan selected Chicago beer on tap.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
And how is there no Green Line? I though that beer was introduced as their 'south side' beer?

Its their environmentally friendly beer. And f***ing delicious. They do not produce it in bottles which could be a reason.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Its their environmentally friendly beer. And f***ing delicious. They do not produce it in bottles which could be a reason.

I haven´t been to the area that is designated for this, but could they not have draughts available?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I haven´t been to the area that is designated for this, but could they not have draughts available?

It was primarily bottles when it was beers of the world. Green Line is one of those beers that is hard to get even if you are a bar. Its limited production.

Edit: I love that you said draught instead of draft.

Heres some background on the project:

http://www.glproject.com/green-line-project-pages-3.php

I LOVE that beer, wish they bottled it.

Green Line Pale Ale is a honey colored, sessionable, American pale ale with a pronounced, bright, American hop aroma and citrus flavor. Notes of biscuit and lightly toasted malt create the backbone for Green Line's pleasant, crisp bitterness.

Green Line Pale Ale is available on draft only in Chicago to help cut down on packaging waste and reduce the impact from refrigerating and transporting beer over long distances.

With Green Line Pale Ale, Goose Island will investigate ways to reduce the carbon footprint of its beer through improvements to processes and equipment both in and outside the brewery.

About the Green Line Tap Handle

The tap handle for Green Line Pale Ale is made of wood reclaimed from ash trees killed by the emerald ash borer in the Chicago suburb of Wilmette, IL.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
It was primarily bottles when it was beers of the world. Green Line is one of those beers that is hard to get even if you are a bar. Its limited production.

Edit: I love that you said draught instead of draft.

Heres some background on the project:

http://www.glproject.com/green-line-project-pages-3.php

I LOVE that beer, wish they bottled it.

Everything about that makes me want it even more. Now I'm tempted to take the train into the city and a bar with in tap for that game tomorrow...

QUOTE (Sox1422 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

333 W. 35TH Street

Chicago, IL 60616

that is a disappointing list. I was hoping for some New Glarus but I knew it was a longshot.