2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
I'm sure I'll get blasted by the hyperbole police, but I truly think this is the worst level of talent I've ever seen in college basketball. Hell, there's only two players in the power conferences averaging over 20 points, and I doubt many on here could guess who they are (Kevin Jones and T. Stoglin). The UCONN/Gtown game tonight was awful, and there are a handful of potential pros in that game.

I'm certainly not going to blast you because I know you know your college hoops but I'm just going to say that I vehemently disagree.

Anywho, underrated night of college ball tonight. SMU gets a big win vs Memphis, SDSU barely escapes with a Boise missed 3(poor school) and UNLV continues to be a team that has a legit shot at the ff. Fun stuff.

And since Heads likes to point out Anthony Booker contributions, Doug McDermott is insanity.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
I'm certainly not going to blast you because I know you know your college hoops but I'm just going to say that I vehemently disagree.

Anywho, underrated night of college ball tonight. SMU gets a big win vs Memphis, SDSU barely escapes with a Boise missed 3(poor school) and UNLV continues to be a team that has a legit shot at the ff. Fun stuff.

And since Heads likes to point out Anthony Booker contributions, Doug McDermott is insanity.

I'm tired of these MVC schools making smart hires that bring top talent to the conference........

I still believe that McDermott is having the best season this year in college basketball. If I had to pick an All-American team right now, I'd go with

G-Pierre Jackson

G- Wow, the shooting guard position SUCKS as well this year. Harrison Barnes and John Jenkins have underachieved. Since Royce White plays pg sometimes, can I list him as a guard :)

F- McDermott

F- Thomas Robinson

C- Anthony Davis

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
I'm sure I'll get blasted by the hyperbole police, but I truly think this is the worst level of talent I've ever seen in college basketball. Hell, there's only two players in the power conferences averaging over 20 points, and I doubt many on here could guess who they are (Kevin Jones and T. Stoglin). The UCONN/Gtown game tonight was awful, and there are a handful of potential pros in that game.

I've heard people calling the 2012 NBA draft class "loaded"? Then again, the NBA drafts on potential, which is why Leonard could be a lottery pick despite a mediocre season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)
I still believe that McDermott is having the best season this year in college basketball. If I had to pick an All-American team right now, I'd go with

G-Pierre Jackson

G- Wow, the shooting guard position SUCKS as well this year. Harrison Barnes and John Jenkins have underachieved. Since Royce White plays pg sometimes, can I list him as a guard :)

F- McDermott

F- Thomas Robinson

C- Anthony Davis

I said my piece about the pgs earlier so ill leave that one at that.

Besides that, I see you're trying to be position dependent but McDermott, Jones and TRob all have to be 1st teamers.

And sticking with that theme, if you're going with a pure sg it either has to be John Jenkins(Vandy has underachieved a bit but Jenkins has still been fantastic) or if not him then Marcus Denmon.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I said my piece about the pgs earlier so ill leave that one at that.

Besides that, I see you're trying to be position dependent but McDermott, Jones and TRob all have to be 1st teamers.

And sticking with that theme, if you're going with a pure sg it either has to be John Jenkins(Vandy has underachieved a bit but Jenkins has still been fantastic) or if not him then Marcus Denmon.

Denmon has been miserably cold the past 3 weeks. I still love him as a SG but he has some confidence issues right now.

But flip pressey is the cure for all your PG ills.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
Denmon has been miserably cold the past 3 weeks. I still love him as a SG but he has some confidence issues right now.

But flip pressey is the cure for all your PG ills.

Ya but if you look at the full body of work he's still one of the best 2's in the country this year because as Fathom said, there ain't much as far as that position goes.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Bad loss by Minnesota tonight. Big 10 is looking like a 7 bid team conference now.

Iowa hasn't been near as terrible as they have in years past. Still a little inconsistent but they now have 4 conference wins. Including wins against Minny (twice), @ Wiscy, and against Michigan.

Ahhh Doug McDermott. Best fact about him? He did not start for his high school team.

He's at Iowa State right now if his dad doesn't kill the basketball program, but he allowed the program to become stuck in the mud for so long that he didn't want his son to come into a position where his dad likely could have been fired.

Ames f***ing Iowa had TWO PLAYERS that have been or are considered among the best in college basketball at some point between Harrison Barnes and Doug McDermott. Iowa State was not able to land either of them (with Barnes growing up as an ISU fan and his dad playing at ISU) thanks to Greg McDermott and the train wreck he helped create.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Iowa hasn't been near as terrible as they have in years past. Still a little inconsistent but they now have 4 conference wins. Including wins against Minny (twice), @ Wiscy, and against Michigan.

I cannot figure out Iowa. They are both one of the best and one of the worst teams in the Big Ten.

Royce White and Doug Gottlieb going at it on Twitter. Royce is Highway_30

"@GottliebShow: not likely RT @evanmulville: @GottliebShow how do you feel about a NBA career for Royce White?"

"@GottliebShow: @evanmulville undersized for 4--also, to be honest--the anxiety disorder scares some NBA guys in addition to other issues"

"@Highway_30: @evanmulville @GottliebShow, Mental illness doesn't stop success,people stigmitizing it does, criticizing my game is fine...."

"@Highway_30: 2evanmulville @GottliebShow...Leave the millions of anxiety sufferers out of it. You're just perpetuating the stigma"

"@GottliebShow: @Highway_30 never said mental illness stops success, but NBA peeps are afraid of what they do not understand--these are just facts"

"@Highway_30: ...Gottlieb, out of line"

"@Highway_30: @GottliebShow never said mental illness stops success, but NBA peeps are afraid of what they do not understand--these are just facts...okay, sounds better."

"@Highway_30: @GottliebShow Being afraid of what we don't understand is actually quote natural, not informing ourselves is neglectful..."

"@Highway_30: @GottliebShow Your words carry weight, that initial tweet was like, NBA guys have a legitimate reason to be afraid..."

"@GottliebShow: @Highway_30 doesnt change the fact that when a borderline guy is being discussed, teams pass"

"@GottliebShow: @Highway_30 my initial tweet was my informed analysis, based on my evaluation and people I have spoken w/-u dont like it, that is fine"

"@Highway_30: @GottliebShow No hard feelings, we just have to clean up the talk about an already stigmatized. Not for people trying to get to the NBA"

"@Highway_30: @GottliebShow But for people who still need diagnosis and treatment ... They're more important"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)

I havent seen them much this year but just by looking at their schedule and results, this isnt the same Iowa team that was an automatic win.

But if youre a bubble team right now like Minnesota, you need to win this game. Minnesota still has 5 games against ranked teams so they can control their own destiny but it doesnt leave them much wiggle room with a 4-6 conference record.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
I really don't see what Gottlieb did wrong.

Same here.

Someone asked a question and he answered it. Wasnt rude, just honest. And White acted fine too during this exchange,

Really nothing to see here.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
I've heard people calling the 2012 NBA draft class "loaded"? Then again, the NBA drafts on potential, which is why Leonard could be a lottery pick despite a mediocre season.

It looks to be deep more than anything. There isn't a definite Lebron/Wade/Durant type guy, but quite a few guys with good upside (especially Davis, Drummond and Jones).

Watched about 10 minutes of the Duke-Va Tech game last night and saw the most comical but not surprising possession in recent memory.

First, Ryan Kelly pushed off his defender with an almost fully extended arm. No call.

Kelly's momentum and loss of defender caused himself to fall over and slide a foot on the floor. No travel call.

Ball swings around to Cook or Thornton, who out of control attempts to penetrate the lane and clearly does not do a jump stop. Obvious travel. No call.

Then, the shot comes clearly after the shot clock strikes zero. Again, not called.

I just had to laugh

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I don't watch much Big 10 basketball but decided to watch the Illinois-MSU game last night. Wow, what an awful, awful game. That was one of the worst games i've seen in a long time and I just sat through the UCONN-ND game on Sunday.

That being said, that Leonard kid looks to have a lot of potential down the road.

Being a Spartan, this game made me sad. The only remotely enjoyable part of it was listenting to Mike Tirico say he ran out of ways to say someone missed a shot or layup.

Two McDonald's All-Americans plus Green and State puts out an effort like that?! My goodness!!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
As an Illini fan I'm probably not supposed to say this, but Go Mizzou. I hope they beat Kansas by 48.

Mizzou winning helps Illinois more than KU winning does. I'd also be pretty shocked if MU doesn't win.

And let the record show that I hate Marquette and ND for making me miss UF-Vandy