Against all odds, it finally happened...

Steve9347

The funny thing is that Phil Rogers a day or so ago specifically pinpointed the trade of Vazquez after 2008 as one of the main reasons for the deterioration of the pitching staff since 2008.

Lillibridge says, "Take that!"

I don't think in Javy's entire 3 year career with the White Sox there's one moment I'll actually remember with any amount of fondness. More like exasperation.

Sure, Flowers, Gilmore and Rodriguez might never do a thing for the major league roster, but just that one moment, KW and the scouting staff must have felt a brief moment of jubilation and vindication. Perhaps Lillibridge has reinvented himself after playing CF for Washington State and making his mark so dramatically again last night. Then again, even D. Wise had his moments in the ALDS against the Rays, a walkoff homer and "The Catch."

Edited by caulfield12

Lillibridge looks so young to me. All of the photos on the jumbotron, etc. make me think he looks young enough to still need his mom to drop him off at the stadium. I'm glad the little guy made the plays last night. I'm sure he was very excited when his mom picked him up after the game. Maybe she took him for ice cream? I hope she did because he deserved it.

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Lillibridge looks so young to me. All of the photos on the jumbotron, etc. make me think he looks young enough to still need his mom to drop him off at the stadium. I'm glad the little guy made the plays last night. I'm sure he was very excited when his mom picked him up after the game. Maybe she took him for ice cream? I hope she did because he deserved it.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)

We all laugh at him, but he is the one in the major leagues making like 10 times what most of us make, just to play a game. I think he gets the last laugh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
We all laugh at him, but he is the one in the major leagues making like 10 times what most of us make, just to play a game. I think he gets the last laugh.

Agreed. I can only imagine how lead footed I would look in right field trying to track down those rockets last night. The board would be a much grumpier place this morning I can assure you of that. No banana split for me.

You can't but like Lillibridge...as a person. From what I've seen of his Twitter posts he seems to have a great sense of humor. Now with those two ridiculous catches, I can't help but want to see him play more often. He's probably a lifetime utility player, and that's fine as long as he fills that role like he has been this year.

And speaking of utility players, Teahen has been playing fairly well this year.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
I have always been a Lillibridge fan. The guy gives it his all every game he plays. You have to love it when people in the position Lilli is in, and others too, suceed. I am real happy for Lilli and the team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Last june when he was hitting bombs left and right he earned a spot in my heart. He lost it in september, but that june was fun.

I don't know why people act like Lillibridge has never contributed anything. Like you said, he had some highlights last year as well. There always has to be a whipping boy. Some people actually wanted Milledge to stay as last man on the team when it was apparent a Little Leaguer could track a fly ball better than he can.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
I see everyone loves the Soriano signing already.

It was destined for failure. He could recover and have a great year for the rest of the year or he could have had a hypothetical 2.75 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP and it would still fail. You simply don't give $12 million a year to a setup guy. Hell, you don't give $8 million to a setup guy. That is stupid.

Of course, being the Yankees, his payroll hit is similar to Teahen's for the Sox - noticeable, but not substantial.