2011 Pre-Draft thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox nab Charlie Tilson, high schooler from New Trier. He may or may not be there, but is a real good prospect. Committed to Illinois, but a good offer should get him away from that commitment. Also a die-hard Sox fan. Would be a good fit.

But more likely we'll pick a college player.

I also am a Tilson fan, and yes he's definitely seeking a significant bonus. I wonder if the Sox are even considering going over slot on a pick or two due to not having a 1st round pick to spend on? My cynical nature expects them to use it as an excuse to spend less though.

Players I like that may or may not be available.

-Andrew Susac

-Brandon Nimmo

-Alex Dickerson

-Dillon Howard

-Tyler Beede

-Josh Osich

-Dillon Maples

-Anthony Meo

-Hudson Boyd

-Charlie Tilson

-Henry Owens

-Noe Ramirez

-Zach Cone

-Tyler Goeddel

I'd imagine the Sox draft pitching 1st which is the strength of this class.

Edited by DirtySox

Tilson didn't impress me in the two games I saw him play. He can play CF with good range and a strong arm, but his bat is pretty far behind for a first day pick. I didn't get to see him run the bases, supposedly his strongest point, so that's probably part of why he didn't wow me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Well we are only about a week and a half away, so we might as well kick of this party.

Sox don't pick until #47 as compensation for JJ Putz. The Sox of course lost their #1 pick as compensation for the signing of Adam Dunn.

Dunn, the gift that keeps giving.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 27, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
1st mock draft that I can find, so far.

BTW, this says Goodwin, a former Sox pick from last year, won't last past pick 25.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/5/24/2187...draft#storyjump

That'd be crazy if Rendon fell to the Orioles. He and Manny Machado would give them a potentially dominating left-side of the infield in a few years.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
What about Matthew Grimes? Is he expected to do better than the 3rd RD or whatever we picked him in last year when he opted for college instead?

He's not eligible for another two years, as he's at GT. I haven't heard too many positive reviews of him this season.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
1st mock draft that I can find, so far.

BTW, this says Goodwin, a former Sox pick from last year, won't last past pick 25.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/5/24/2187...draft#storyjump

CJ Cron is another former Sox pick. He's pretty much a consensus 1st rounder at the moment as one of the most polished college bats.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
CJ Cron is another former Sox pick. He's pretty much a consensus 1st rounder at the moment as one of the most polished college bats.

One of my favorite 1st round bats. His younger brother is draft eligible as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
That'd be crazy if Rendon fell to the Orioles. He and Manny Machado would give them a potentially dominating left-side of the infield in a few years.

Teams are worried about the injuries. He's been playing at less than 100% for most of the year. Some scouts think he won't stick at 3B either. That being said, the consensus by many is that he won't get past Seattle.

And for what it's worth, that mock draft is just by some random commenter. Sickels and Law both have mock's up. Baseball America's 2nd rendition goes up tomorrow I believe.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
Baseball America's 2nd mock is up:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft...11/2611827.html

It's only the 1st round obviously. Any supplemental round predictions are pretty much worthless.

Yeah the only real value mocks have this year for Sox fans is to get familiar with the names. There's really no way to predict who's going to be there.

i have commented before on my thoughts about Kenny giving up a number one pick for Dunn. Beyond stupid. Then I remember. when Mags left, his agent out maneuvered Kenny so that we did not get a draft pick from Tigers. Or was it two picks?

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
i have commented before on my thoughts about Kenny giving up a number one pick for Dunn. Beyond stupid. Then I remember. when Mags left, his agent out maneuvered Kenny so that we did not get a draft pick from Tigers. Or was it two picks?

If by "outmaneuver" you mean "Not offer Maggs a contract that there was a risk he would take and we'd have him and his knees instead of JD in the OF for 2005"

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)

Really? A player that has posted an OPS above .850 nine of his ten pro years and above .880 seven of those isn't worth the 23rd pick? This isn't football or basketball. These picks are less than 50% to make the Majors.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Really? A player that has posted an OPS above .850 nine of his ten pro years and above .880 seven of those isn't worth the 23rd pick? This isn't football or basketball. These picks are less than 50% to make the Majors.

And then 10% of those first rounders who actually make the Majors do anything worthwhile.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)

thank you for the voice of reason.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
If by "outmaneuver" you mean "Not offer Maggs a contract that there was a risk he would take and we'd have him and his knees instead of JD in the OF for 2005"

Mags made it known he wanted out of Chicago and he wanted to try the free agent process. With Boros as his agent. I'm sure Boros convinced him to do this. All Kenny had to was offer Mags a contract for 80% of previous year's salary; then, if Mags wanted to go the free agent route, which he did want, the Sox get two draft picks. Not a bad deal. So Boros took Maggs to Europe, hid him from the Sox, and called the bluff. Kenny blinked by not offering anything. Then Mags' price went up, because whichever team got him, they did not owe the White Sox squat. Boros won. Mags won. Kenny lost. Yes, I mean he was out-maneuvered.

What was Mags making then? $10MM? If so, the risk would have been $8MM. What did we risk with Peavy? Rios? Undunn? A heckava lot more.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Mags made it known he wanted out of Chicago and he wanted to try the free agent process. With Boros as his agent. I'm sure Boros convinced him to do this. All Kenny had to was offer Mags a contract for 80% of previous year's salary; then, if Mags wanted to go the free agent route, which he did want, the Sox get two draft picks. Not a bad deal. So Boros took Maggs to Europe, hid him from the Sox, and called the bluff. Kenny blinked by not offering anything. Then Mags' price went up, because whichever team got him, they did not owe the White Sox squat. Boros won. Mags won. Kenny lost. Yes, I mean he was out-maneuvered.

What was Mags making then? $10MM? If so, the risk would have been $8MM. What did we risk with Peavy? Rios? Undunn? A heckava lot more.

The Sox did offer Maggs a significant contract, and Borass even spun that into an evil thing because they offered it to him after he was injured. The Sox didn't get outmanuevered, Maggs and his agent are lying pieces of s*** who ran every con in the book, including sneaking Maggs into Europe to have a secret surgery without telling anyone, and then refusing to give the Sox the medical records to go with them. I'm not sure what you are remembering, but it is all wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
The Sox did offer Maggs a significant contract, and Borass even spun that into an evil thing because they offered it to him after he was injured. The Sox didn't get outmanuevered, Maggs and his agent are lying pieces of s*** who ran every con in the book, including sneaking Maggs into Europe to have a secret surgery without telling anyone, and then refusing to give the Sox the medical records to go with them. I'm not sure what you are remembering, but it is all wrong.

For all the Sox knew, the "Surgery in Europe" could have involved shooting him full of a bunch of substances that were illegal in the U.S. too. Especially now that we're seeing more and more of these "HGH injection in addition to surgery" moves.