2011 Pre-Draft thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
The Sox did offer Maggs a significant contract, and Borass even spun that into an evil thing because they offered it to him after he was injured. The Sox didn't get outmanuevered, Maggs and his agent are lying pieces of s*** who ran every con in the book, including sneaking Maggs into Europe to have a secret surgery without telling anyone, and then refusing to give the Sox the medical records to go with them. I'm not sure what you are remembering, but it is all wrong.

Bada-boom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
For all the Sox knew, the "Surgery in Europe" could have involved shooting him full of a bunch of substances that were illegal in the U.S. too. Especially now that we're seeing more and more of these "HGH injection in addition to surgery" moves.

Bada-bing.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
For all the Sox knew, the "Surgery in Europe" could have involved shooting him full of a bunch of substances that were illegal in the U.S. too. Especially now that we're seeing more and more of these "HGH injection in addition to surgery" moves.

And IIRC the Sox offer was for 4 years $48 million. If that isn't right, it isn't too far off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
And IIRC the Sox offer was for 4 years $48 million. If that isn't right, it isn't too far off.

I don't remember Sox offering Mags that kind of contract after 2004. Could be wrong. But if we did, then we could have restructured the offer to comply with the rule that would have given us the draft picks, which was my original point. I agree that Boros' tactics stunk. When he did the European secret medical society trick, I didn't mind letting Mags go, I just wanted the draft picks, and Kenny was not able to pull it off.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't remember Sox offering Mags that kind of contract after 2004. Could be wrong. But if we did, then we could have restructured the offer to comply with the rule that would have given us the draft picks, which was my original point. I agree that Boros' tactics stunk. When he did the European secret medical society trick, I didn't mind letting Mags go, I just wanted the draft picks, and Kenny was not able to pull it off.

The Sox had offered Ordonez a contract bigger than that one. I don't remember/know the exact numbers, but the direct quote was that they'd offered him what would have been the largest contract in team history at that point, which means that it had to be bigger than the $55 million that Albert Belle signed for.

There was supposedly a ton of deferred money in it, lasting through like 2025, but in terms of value, I think the Sox offered Ordonez something in the $70 million range, but after Maggs's injury, they wanted a physical before they'd continue to negotiate or renew the contract offer. Ordonez kept saying he wanted back publicly, but then refused to allow the Sox access to him over the summer, refused to allow them to view his medical records after the European surgery, refused to allow the Sox to give him a physical before the arbitration deadline, but was happy to allow other teams to take time to examine his knee after the arb deadline.

The mess for the Sox was that for all they knew, Ordonez's European surgery might have been a complete failure and he might never have played again, and they had to offer him arbitration without being able to rule that out. Boras's people made it look like they had something big to hide (and Heck, he barely played in 2006 anyway), so they were asking the Sox to commit to spend about $14 million on a guy that they couldn't even see in person.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)

I remember it very clearly because Borass spun it into the Sox trying to sucker Maggs while he was hurt. I know he offered him a contract.

This thread has veered off course it seems.

Anyhow, Josh Bell informed the MLB Scouting Bureau that he will be attending college. Also, John Stilson tore his labrum and is done for the year. Both players were almost certain 1st round picks and will both fall accordingly.

Sickels has his 2nd Mock Draft up.

1st Round

Supplemental Round

As noted before predicting the supplemental round is an absolute shot in the dark, but it's a useful read if one cares to get a feel for the talent that will be available at that point.

I'd love for Jackie Bradley Jr, Swihart, Hedges, Meo, Nimmo, Boyd, or Owens to be on the board at 47 but that would require a combination of luck and a willingness by the Sox to open their wallets for a few of the players noted.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 30, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Sickels has his 2nd Mock Draft up.

1st Round

Supplemental Round

As noted before predicting the supplemental round is an absolute shot in the dark, but it's a useful read if one cares to get a feel for the talent that will be available at that point.

I'd love for Jackie Bradley Jr, Swihart, Hedges, Meo, Nimmo, Boyd, or Owens to be on the board at 47 but that would require a combination of luck and a willingness by the Sox to open their wallets for a few of the players noted.

That's not happening.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
That's not happening.

There are three certainties in this uncertain world in which we live: the sun rising in the east, Adam Dunn striking out at least once per start and the Sox not going above slot during the draft.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
That's not happening.

RE: Supplemental Pick Mock Draft. What does he mean.... "The White Sox are tough to predict." That they don't know what they are doing?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
There are three certainties in this uncertain world in which we live: the sun rising in the east, Adam Dunn striking out at least once per start and the Sox not going above slot during the draft.

They've gone above slot in the supplemental round before. I'm pretty sure Gio was above slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they go a little above slot without a first rounder.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I also am a Tilson fan, and yes he's definitely seeking a significant bonus. I wonder if the Sox are even considering going over slot on a pick or two due to not having a 1st round pick to spend on? My cynical nature expects them to use it as an excuse to spend less though.

Players I like that may or may not be available.

-Andrew Susac

-Brandon Nimmo

-Alex Dickerson

-Dillon Howard

-Tyler Beede

-Josh Osich

-Dillon Maples

-Anthony Meo

-Hudson Boyd

-Charlie Tilson

-Henry Owens

-Noe Ramirez

-Zach Cone

-Tyler Goeddel

I'd imagine the Sox draft pitching 1st which is the strength of this class.

I really like Noe. Guy reminds me a lot of Gio.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
Mags made it known he wanted out of Chicago and he wanted to try the free agent process. With Boros as his agent. I'm sure Boros convinced him to do this. All Kenny had to was offer Mags a contract for 80% of previous year's salary; then, if Mags wanted to go the free agent route, which he did want, the Sox get two draft picks. Not a bad deal. So Boros took Maggs to Europe, hid him from the Sox, and called the bluff. Kenny blinked by not offering anything. Then Mags' price went up, because whichever team got him, they did not owe the White Sox squat. Boros won. Mags won. Kenny lost. Yes, I mean he was out-maneuvered.

What was Mags making then? $10MM? If so, the risk would have been $8MM. What did we risk with Peavy? Rios? Undunn? A heckava lot more.

The only time the Sox got out maneuvered is when they idiotically traded Ray Ray for Jon Adkins because they though the compensation system was going to be going away in the new collective bargaining agreement.

There was no way they would have ever offered Maggs arbitration, given the uncertainty with his knee, had Detroit not offered him that deal, there was a shot the Sox were going to be stuck paying him and they didn't want that on there conscious or impacting there budget since they had big plans that off-season.

I'll rip on the Sox for many things related to the draft, but this isn't one of them. And I'll be bitter if we don't take whomever slides at 47 and just pay em the money (after all, not having a pick until we have one should allow us the financial flexibility to pay above slot). We know it won't happen though.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 28, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
This thread has veered off course it seems.

Anyhow, Josh Bell informed the MLB Scouting Bureau that he will be attending college. Also, John Stilson tore his labrum and is done for the year. Both players were almost certain 1st round picks and will both fall accordingly.

The good thing is this is the deepest draft in years. And by years, I'm talking about guys going in the 3rd round that would have been 1st rounders in many other years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
And I'll be bitter if we don't take whomever slides at 47 and just pay em the money (after all, not having a pick until we have one should allow us the financial flexibility to pay above slot). We know it won't happen though.

+1. Every draft I get some glimmer of hope, or I rationalize that this is the year the Sox will spend some money. Then we end up drafting Josh Phegley, or fail to sign early round picks (Morgado, Grimes, Terry, etc) which leads to ranting and bemoaning of the organization/farm system until the next draft rolls around where we start all over again. Fun times.

Jim Callis with a bit of baseless speculation on the Sox' pick:

Alan (Chicago): Have anything ChiSox draft related? Feed me. I hunger.

Jim Callis: They don't pick until No. 47, so there's not a lot of White Sox draft buzz. I could see them opting for a multitooled athlete who will sign for slot (which might be tough to find at No. 47) or a lefthanded pitcher. Maybe Chris Reed from Stanford?

Chris Reed sounds interesting. Lefty with low-90's FB, power slider, above average change. Not a lot of experience though, but he was born in London!

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Jim Callis with a bit of baseless speculation on the Sox' pick:

Chris Reed sounds interesting. Lefty with low-90's FB, power slider, above average change. Not a lot of experience though, but he was born in London!

Huzzah. He answered my question. Reed is number 60 on BA's draft top 200 for what it's worth.

It's tough to be a draftnik/prospecter when your team doesn't have a 1st round pick.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
Huzzah. He answered my question. Reed is number 60 on BA's draft top 200 for what it's worth.

It's tough to be a draftnik/prospecter when your team doesn't have a 1st round pick.

College players ranked between #30 and #100 by BA is where I'm starting. Not too many names jumping out though. Andrew Chafin's top of my realistic wish list right now.

I'm a big fan of Gilly obviously, but I don't know how he'll translate. He also was a huge disappointment last year after emerging as the Friday starter during his freshman campaign.

On the plus side he has only walked 18 guys in 106+ ip this season and has put up extremely similar numbers to Hultzen. Check my post in the college thread for those.