Wow, Humber. You fo' realz?

Steve9347

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
No, all the same rules apply, nothing changes for him. If he finishes the season with 2 years of service then he's ours for the next 4 years and can make $500K next year.

There is absolutely no reason to think about locking him up. He's made 10 starts this season and is under team control for the next 4.5 years, there's plenty of time to let him sink or swim before committing to him. And yes, I worry about a starting pitcher with a 5.0 k/9, that's asking an awful lot of your defense.

So the only way to sign him to anything is if it is team options only.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
See, I see him more as Gavin Floyd-lite but with a better mental makeup. No deer in the headlights bs.

Its hard to say that yet. I want to see him get beat up, not have his curveball, have some really bad fielding behind him etc before I say that. I don't really remember his facing any real adversity this year to speak of.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Its hard to say that yet. I want to see him get beat up, not have his curveball, have some really bad fielding behind him etc before I say that. I don't really remember his facing any real adversity this year to speak of.

Except for having the worst run support in the AL.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Didn't Loaiza pitch decently for a few years after that great season? I don't expect Humber to continue this forever, but I see no reason why he can't go on to have a few average seasons. And an average pitcher is nice to have.

Depends on what you mean by "decent".

2003 21-9 2.70 era 1.113 WHIP

2004 10-7 5.70 era 1.574 WHIP

2005 12-10 3.77 era 1.300 WHIP

2006 11-9 4.86 era 1.416 WHIP

after that he didnt' really pitch much in 2007 and 2008. He had maybe a decent year with Washington in 2005, but other than that was pretty bad after his Cy type season. All of his peripherals pretty much fell apart after 03 as well. His K's dropped, his hits went up, and walked either went up or leveled off.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
He looks like a one year wonder to me too and I was actually semi-optimistic about him going into the season.

So was I. And no he isn't the same stud he was at Rice forming the big 3, but neither was Floyd when he was so highly touted pitching at Lakewood. (one lost velocity on his fastball, but gained movement - Floyd, the other had TJ and gained more velocity on his fastball, but lost movement - Humber) Only seen one of his starts, but just my opinion on following him (and the other big 2).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
Except for having the worst run support in the AL.

And I don't know where that number came from, but it isn't right.

Humber is 9th out of 39 qualified starters at 4.66 r/s . Danks "leads" the AL at 3.71 r/s.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
And I don't know where that number came from, but it isn't right.

Humber is 9th out of 39 qualified starters at 4.66 r/s . Danks "leads" the AL at 3.71 r/s.

Prior to yesterday it was 100% true. Subtract 10 Runs from Humber and you can see what it was prior to yesterday...3.66.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
Depends on what you mean by "decent".

2003 21-9 2.70 era 1.113 WHIP

2004 10-7 5.70 era 1.574 WHIP

2005 12-10 3.77 era 1.300 WHIP

2006 11-9 4.86 era 1.416 WHIP

after that he didnt' really pitch much in 2007 and 2008. He had maybe a decent year with Washington in 2005, but other than that was pretty bad after his Cy type season. All of his peripherals pretty much fell apart after 03 as well. His K's dropped, his hits went up, and walked either went up or leveled off.

I'd only characterize 2004 as bad.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
I think he's under team control, is he not? He only has 1 year of service time, believe it or not. Now this is where things get a little cloudy for me...but is he still required to serve out his time under the service time rules, or does that get thrown out the window if you get released 3473593754 times? I would think he is our property for several more years now as long as we want him...

I believe that is the case.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Prior to yesterday it was 100% true. Subtract 10 Runs from Humber and you can see what it was prior to yesterday...3.66.

That is a pretty misleading number if you can go from the 0 percentile to the 25th percentile in one start.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
That is a pretty misleading number if you can go from the 0 percentile to the 25th percentile in one start.

If you can get ESPN to calculate the Median run support, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Humber added a pitch this year, therefor he isnt the same guy he has been for the last several years. Because of that, his historical numbers dont mean all that much. Its pretty clear by the teams he's beat that he's a legit pitcher.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
Humber added a pitch this year, therefor he isnt the same guy he has been for the last several years. Because of that, his historical numbers dont mean all that much. Its pretty clear by the teams he's beat that he's a legit pitcher.

You still have to admit that the .225 BABIP he's given up suggests that he's due for a few bad outings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
You still have to admit that the .225 BABIP he's given up suggests that he's due for a few bad outings.

Oh yeah, he's not a sub 3 ERA guy either, but I surely think he's a good mid rotation guy finally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:41 AM)
He has also had the lowest expectations and pressure of anyone either.

Oh come on... the dude knows this is his chance to get back into the game as a difference maker. Each pitch is pressure-packed, to him. Get outta here with that.

I'd get an Humber jersey, but every jersey I buy turns said player to s***, so I'll sit back and wait. I really like what I see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Oh yeah, he's not a sub 3 ERA guy either, but I surely think he's a good mid rotation guy finally.

Yeah, I covered all this quite a few posts ago. Sure, the .225 BABIP suggests luck, but he's got a lot of room in that era to still be a very effective pitcher at a league average BABIP.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Oh come on... the dude knows this is his chance to get back into the game as a difference maker. Each pitch is pressure-packed, to him. Get outta here with that.

I'd get an Humber jersey, but every jersey I buy turns said player to s***, so I'll sit back and wait. I really like what I see.

Starting buying Indians Jerseys then.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 08:00 AM)
So was I. And no he isn't the same stud he was at Rice forming the big 3, but neither was Floyd when he was so highly touted pitching at Lakewood. (one lost velocity on his fastball, but gained movement - Floyd, the other had TJ and gained more velocity on his fastball, but lost movement - Humber) Only seen one of his starts, but just my opinion on following him (and the other big 2).

Humber gained? From everything I've read, he was a 93-95 guy at rice. Now, he sits around 90. If he gained velocity, I would have hated to see his fastball before TJS.