Thomas "had a lot of teammates involved" in steroids

southsider2k5

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I loved the year Canseco was on the team. I had the best seats I ever had to a game that year and holy mother of god that man was enormous.

At age 36 that juiced beast still put up an OPS well over .800.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I remember that, but that was after being a top draft pick. It had nothing to do with improving his draft status and getting to the majors.

If he took it after being drafted, how would it NOT affect his getting to the majors? What am I missing here?

A smile always comes to my face when I think the White Sox have Frank Thomas and his status/legend seems to get stronger each year while the cubs have to accept the shenanigans of sammy sosa and look back at those years and that goofball.

Now the Sox have another player that seems to fill the same shoes in Paul Konerko.

To think over the last 30 year the White Sox have had as the face of their franchise

Carlton Fisk

Frank Thomas

Paul Konerko

Three hard nosed professions who all have flaws in their personalities but also all are players that fans should be proud to cheer for.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
A smile always comes to my face when I think the White Sox have Frank Thomas and his status/legend seems to get stronger each year while the cubs have to accept the shenanigans of sammy sosa and look back at those years and that goofball.

Now the Sox have another player that seems to fill the same shoes in Paul Konerko.

To think over the last 30 year the White Sox have had as the face of their franchise

Carlton Fisk

Frank Thomas

Paul Konerko

Three hard nosed professions who all have flaws in their personalities but also all are players that fans should be proud to cheer for.

Think you have to go with a hybrid of PK/Buehrle. There's just no way you can say Mark hasn't been a face of this franchise.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Clearly randy williams was enhanced during his tenure with the white sox big league club. How else could one put up numbers that big like his 2010? Riddle me this.

Wouldn't shock me if random players (not singling out Randy) you wouldn't at first consider were juicing actually were, as career minor leaguers who all of a sudden found power in the minor leagues or increased their velocity a few mph were some of the more obvious PEDS abusers.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Wouldn't shock me if random players (not singling out Randy) you wouldn't at first consider were juicing actually were, as career minor leaguers who all of a sudden found power in the minor leagues or increased their velocity a few mph were some of the more obvious PEDS abusers.

So what are you saying about Phil Humber?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I heard that interview yesterday on my way to Ride Chicago. I loved it, especially when he said the best HR were the ones in an Oakland Uni.

I laughed. You know damn well the reason those were the most memorable to Frank because that was his way of saying "f*** you, KW!".

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Well I can think of two big-time guys he played with. One was known as the Horse and one had a mysterious surgery in Vienna. I could name others I was suspicious of, too, but the list would be long.

Also this further anoints Frank as my favorite player of all-time. Man I really am gonna try to get out to Cooperstown when he is inducted. Not only a clean guy, but such a good person. Never in trouble outside of baseball.

Think we should make it the largest crowd ever ....

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
It was sort of ironic that the Sox signed him to fill in for Frank when he got hurt.

Was that the year Frank hurt his triceps? I remember that every homer by Canseco was of the humpback variety.

It's sort of ironic since Frank is normally considered clean by most, but every discussion about him will eventually turn into a steroid discussion.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I laughed. You know damn well the reason those were the most memorable to Frank because that was his way of saying "f*** you, KW!".

No doubt about it. I also found that to be hilarious.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)

Seriously though, if you watched that game, he looked genuinely touched by the ovation prior to destroying that ball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Frank+steroids=no choice but to shut the sport down. That's how I know he didn't use. Look what those suckers did to Bonds. And Frank was one of the rare physical specimens to ever play the game.

We'd be talking ungodly HR numbers. Like, 800 club easily.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Think you have to go with a hybrid of PK/Buehrle. There's just no way you can say Mark hasn't been a face of this franchise.

I'd go with this. Paulie has been the face of the franchise, while Mark has been the heart.

Gordon better get on claiming that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Seriously though, if you watched that game, he looked genuinely touched by the ovation prior to destroying that ball.

I'm sure he was. How could he not have been? But I don't buy for a second his reasoning for those being his most memorable HRs. Frank hasn't changed that much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm sure he was. How could he not have been? But I don't buy for a second his reasoning for those being his most memorable HRs. Frank hasn't changed that much.

With his ego and how easily it bruised? I have no problem believing it was the biggest to him.