Thomas "had a lot of teammates involved" in steroids

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Seriously though, if you watched that game, he looked genuinely touched by the ovation prior to destroying that ball.

I bet he enjoyed the ovation he got AFTER he hit it too.

The cheering wasn't quite as loud when he it the second one though...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Frank has become a different person with the media now. If he was like this back in the day, who knows what kind of a household name, he would have been.

Frank Thomas was one of baseball's biggest stars in the 90s. He was everywhere.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I loved the year Canseco was on the team. I had the best seats I ever had to a game that year and holy mother of god that man was enormous.

Wow same, 3 rows rihgt behind the Sox on deck circle.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
That's what I would have guessed, but I didn't remember. Thanks.

For s***s and giggles, here's my partial list of possible (probable?) users that played with Hurt, I know I'm forgetting about a million guys, feel free to help:

Maggs

Caballo

Valentin

Bo (didn't he admit it?, I can't recall for sure)

Albert Belle (rage explained)

Rowand

Pitchers:

Lil' Bulldog, Parque (+others who could never touch the majors without some help)

Fatty Wells (just strikes me as a guy who wouldn't hesitate to gain an advantage)

When I think of "Lil' Bulldog", I can only think of Greg Hibbard!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Well I can think of two big-time guys he played with. One was known as the Horse and one had a mysterious surgery in Vienna. I could name others I was suspicious of, too, but the list would be long.

Also this further anoints Frank as my favorite player of all-time. Man I really am gonna try to get out to Cooperstown when he is inducted. Not only a clean guy, but such a good person. Never in trouble outside of baseball.

Will see you there; can't wait.

For the first 7-8 years of his career, Thomas and Griffey, Jr., were arguably the biggest stars. Piazza was pretty high up there, too. Before them, you had Puckett/Gwynn/Ripken/Boggs, that generation of players.

Griffey was definitely #1 to me, and then the injuries hit both guys.

And, not coincidentally, that's the same time that Sosa/McGwire had their historic 1998 season and Bonds broke the HR record not long afterwards.

The fact that Thomas didn't get to play in that 1994 post-season really hurt, too, in terms of national exposure in his prime.

If you look at all those huge homer guys from 1998-2006, how many of them have emerged as completely clean? Thome...Thomas, and Griffey, and that's about it.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Yes he was a star but not one of the biggest. Baseball people knew how good he was. He was not even on most peoples top 10.

It was the difference between being Frank Thomas and Michael Jordan.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Yes he was a star but not one of the biggest. Baseball people knew how good he was. He was not even on most peoples top 10.

He was in everybody's top ten. Huge star. Like caufield said, for a few years it was him and Griffey.

Edited by wsgdf_2

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)

Thank you for pulling this comment out of your ass, it is, however, incorrect. Frank was everywhere.