Slumps and Adam Dunn: they've met before

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Didn't you read Wite's initial post? He gave us facts. Plenty of them. No human being alive will deny that Dunn has been anything but bad so far. Wite showed us a consistent history of Dunn struggling over a sustained period of time only to get his numbers in the end. Now he's not hitting 40 HRs. More than likely not even 35. But there's still reason to believe he can turn it around and be a major factor for this team the rest of the way.

when i stated people are making excuses for Dunn, I wasn't pointing to Wite's post, it's actually a good post

I was talking about the other posters on this site, and people on the score

"he'll end up with his career averages or close to it"

no, he f***ing won't

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
when i stated people are making excuses for Dunn, I wasn't pointing to Wite's post, it's actually a good post

no, he f***ing won't

I can't believe he's actually completely, physically finished.

But yeah, at this point there's no way he's coming close to his career numbers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)

he's not even making progress. the way he looks now is 100% the same as he looked when he came back from his surgery: fat, and bad at baseball

If Adam Dunn hit .280 for the rest of the year and averaged 6 homers a month from here until the end of the season, his line ends up somewhere along the lines of .240/.380/.470/.850 with about 30 homers. His 162 game average is .248/.379/.515/.893 and 39 homers. He hit .288 in the first half of last season - 88 games - and he was at .281 in game 98 of last year, so there is some ability to hit for average there, even if it takes a bit of luck.

Also, during the only point in his career where the team he was on was contending whatsoever, 2008 with the Diamondbacks, he put up .243/.417/.472/.889 during part of August and September and was on about a 32 homer pace. He's hit well when his team has been in it before.

Again, I am not worried about him at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 04:10 AM)
If Adam Dunn hit .280 for the rest of the year and averaged 6 homers a month from here until the end of the season, his line ends up somewhere along the lines of .240/.380/.470/.850 with about 30 homers. His 162 game average is .248/.379/.515/.893 and 39 homers. He hit .288 in the first half of last season - 88 games - and he was at .281 in game 98 of last year, so there is some ability to hit for average there, even if it takes a bit of luck.

Also, during the only point in his career where the team he was on was contending whatsoever, 2008 with the Diamondbacks, he put up .243/.417/.472/.889 during part of August and September and was on about a 32 homer pace. He's hit well when his team has been in it before.

Wite you are a very patient man. You'd be a good boss to work for. You are not worried at all about a guy who has been a total mess at the plate.

As far as the word to describe him, Jordan I believe listed 'pathetic.' That's good enough. You don't need to search any farther for a word.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)

no, he f***ing won't

The same "excuses" that Frank Thomas offered up himself. You know the guy who was a career first basemen and struggled with adjustment to to the Designated Hitter and is probably a first ballot Hall of Famer? Yeah, I am going to with Frank Thomas understanding the game a whole hell of a lot better than you do, and am pretty comfortable calling those things based in fact when a guy like Frank Thomas said it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 03:59 AM)

What year was it that PK was struggling so bad? Actually looking back he had two off years 2003 and 2008. I do think Dunn will rebound, but he won't have any 40 homers. But, watching him right now is painful. He is an automatic out and we find a glimmer of hope when he gets an infield single, That's just plain wrong.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)

Really?

Some kind of new super-Prozac must be available.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
What year was it that PK was struggling so bad? Actually looking back he had two off years 2003 and 2008. I do think Dunn will rebound, but he won't have any 40 homers. But, watching him right now is painful. He is an automatic out and we find a glimmer of hope when he gets an infield single, That's just plain wrong.

2003. He started being okay starting in about july iirc. He was just terrible for the first half.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
2003. He started being okay starting in about july iirc. He was just terrible for the first half.

As I always do when this is brought up, down the stretch in 2002 Konerko was playing with a fractured foot and he never really had time to recover, it took until about the middle part of 2003 before he was really getting back to normal. He played through it in 2002 because of the close race.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)

At all? Really?

If there's a guy I am worried about, it's Rios. He has been this bad before, and without many exceptions, he's been a worse hitter in the second half. It didn't look like he'd be able to be worse in the second half in 2009, but he was, and was way worse.

Dunn? No. He'll hit eventually.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
If there's a guy I am worried about, it's Rios. He has been this bad before, and without many exceptions, he's been a worse hitter in the second half. It didn't look like he'd be able to be worse in the second half in 2009, but he was, and was way worse.

Dunn? No. He'll hit eventually.

I don't think the Dunn we see today will hit eventually.

I am thinking he needs to lose weight or change his approach cause he has no f***ing clue.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:02 AM)
Is it that difficult for a NL hitter to transition to the AL?

OLD Sasquatch seems to be having a rough go of it presently. It is hard for us sox fans to watch Dunn to return to form when we have never seen him in form. He was a .259 hitter with the nats while he he is a .180 hitter here. So if kw gave Dunn a value based on his Washington nationals average of .259 and he is hitting .179 that would be a 69% of what he hit there. 69% is usually considered an F .

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:17 AM)
OLD Sasquatch seems to be having a rough go of it presently. It is hard for us sox fans to watch Dunn to return to form when we have never seen him in form. He was a .259 hitter with the nats while he he is a .180 hitter here. So if kw gave Dunn a value based on his Washington nationals average of .259 and he is hitting .179 that would be a 69% of what he hit there. 69% is usually considered an F .

psssh, high D.