Sox vs Tigers Game Thread 6-3-11

Soxfest

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 03:26 AM)
"To me stats are overrated, I don't like stats because I don't want to get a headache, have to look them all up."

Not a DIRECT quote, but along the lines of what Ozzie just said. f***ing wow... this f***ing guy...

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 03:30 AM)
Yeah, I'm a little pissed after seeing some bad baseball tonight, despite the win.

Great to get a W tonight, but it shouldn't have been that hard. No way we should have needed Santos for a 4 out save, and there can be ramifications of that over the next few days.

You think great managers like Lasorda and Earl Weaver and Joe Torre studied stats over and over? Doubtful.

What stats are bothering you that he should know?

Those that are mad at the use of Thornton ... you think we can pitch Sale every night? Cmon Ohman (sp) is still a hack. Sale can't pitch every night. If we're going to have a good bullpen, we need Thornton to do something unless we give up on him and Danks takes that role.

2.) Soria used to get five and six out saves all the time before he got s***ty. If he can't pitch Saturday, too bad. Sale can try to get it done if we are fortunate enough to be in a save situation vs. Verlander.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think great managers like Lasorda and Earl Weaver and Joe Torre studied stats over and over? Doubtful.

What stats are bothering you that he should know?

Like how high someone's BA is when stepping up against a Sox pitcher with 2 outs and a base open just for very STARTERS. You ever actually WATCH games, greg? :lolhitting

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 03:42 AM)
Like how high someone's BA is when stepping up against a Sox pitcher with 2 outs and a base open just for very STARTERS. You ever actually WATCH games, greg? :lolhitting

Which matchup bothered you?

Let's say Sergio in the ninth had a bad matchup with a hitter, would it mean anything?? No, you'd leave him in.

Many thought Thornton could handle closer's role this year. That would mean facing a TON of righties, including pinch hitters in the ninth had he kept the job. Would percentages have mattered, stats?? No. He'd have stayed in the game had he not choked in the role.

Sometimes you just have to have guys do the job no matter the stats.

What situation are you talking about? Sometimes you don't want to put the tying run on base, etc.

Edited by greg775

Which matchup bothered you?

Let's say Sergio in the ninth had a bad matchup with a hitter, would it mean anything?? No, you'd leave him in.

Many thought Thornton could handle closer's role this year. That would mean facing a TON of righties, including pinch hitters in the ninth had he kept the job. Would percentages have mattered, stats?? No. He'd have stayed in the game had he not choked in the role.

Sometimes you just have to have guys do the job no matter the stats.

What situation are you talking about? Sometimes you don't want to put the tying run on base, etc.

I'm not talking about anything related to tonight's game and never said I did so why the assumption? I'm talking about Ozzie's general statement regarding stats because as we all know Ozzie isn't too bright when it comes to statistics/matchups... then again he's not really good at managing in general, LoL.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
As much as I want to rag on you for being negative following a win, you are right. Dammit.

Ugh. Hard to imagine even typing it... but its true. Texting with a baseball-savvy friend during the game and we both concluded that Morel could become a better all-around player than Beckham.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
do not want to face Miggy

Here's your answer:

''Martinez was laughing in the on-deck circle because he thought we were going to walk him (Cabrera) but I respect Victor. Victor is a dangerous hitter. I'm not going to put the go-ahead run at the plate, especially with Victor Martinez,'' Guillen said.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
we never have issues with lester, verlander has owned us for the last 2 years

At some point if we want to get in the race, our starter has to match Verlander for 9 innings, then Verlander is out of the game.

0-0

1-1

2-2

How bout it White Sox? Just win baby.