Golfing Thread

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I sometimes put my right index finger down the grip of my putter (aiming towards the ground). I feel like that gives me more control over the putter face being too open or closed.

Same, I have my first two fingers down and just one wrapped around. If I get my right hand involved in putting its wrist city

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
I am finally hitting the ball pretty well across the board except putting. I've learned how to play my slight (depending on wind) slice on my drive. I am only worried because I line up with the ball in front of my front foot. So my two questions are 1.) cheap tip for reducing slice? and 2.) what's the putting bible everyone swears by?

It took me multiple lessons w/ a pro to fix my slice, but it involved heavy focus on closing the club head on the down swing.

For putting, I've learned that distance is way more important than reading the break correctly. For me, I use almost a videogame meter system, broken into 3 sections. I know if I only take my putter back 1/3 of the way, it will go 7 feet, 2/3, 14 feet and all the way back is 21 feet. Obviously this is generalizing, but it's a good starting point. The rest is all about practice and touch.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone have a recommendation for a golf simulator place? The prices seem higher than I was anticipating and if I go, I want it to be a good one.

The itch is becoming unbearable, haven't picked up a club in a few months.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Anyone have a recommendation for a golf simulator place? The prices seem higher than I was anticipating and if I go, I want it to be a good one.

Have you been in one before? I hate them since it feel like swinging in a tunnel. I prefer just hitting wedges at a golf dome or heated range.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (SnB @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)

I know it's late, but Top Golf. Heated bays, but hitting full distances.

We're getting close to our end of the season championships. My #1 is on the sidelines trying to become academically eligible. My #3 is worried about college and working and has missed about half the practices this past month. I have no depth so we just went from near the top to trying to stay out of the bottom. Hey, Robin, I know your pain.

Meanwhile, one kid lowered his average from 113 last year to 97 this year. As soon as we crank up his short game I figure he will drop another 10-15 for next season. Plus he's smart as can be with great parental support. Already I'm thinking about next year . . .

I'm starting to hit a few more balls myself getting ready for the coach gets to play season. I shot seven over for 9 holes last week from the tips (3700 yards). The bright spot was six pars. The two doubles and a triple were problems, but that smoothes out after I play more.

Our home course has kicked out Taylor Made and bringing in Callaway. Our previous home course was a Titleist shop. We've been a Titleist team for the past years. I'm considering the switch to Callaway. This season my varsity played ProV1 or ProV1x while the JV and Fresh-Soph played DT Solo. Clothing I switched to Nike from Antigua, but the UA rep has a nice package for me so I may switch one more time. My budget has been stretched thin by travelling more for tournaments so I've been shopping harder.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have my girl's team in 3rd place after day 1 of the district tournament. The back half of the team just did not come through. My #1 tied her tournament best and my #2 had her best tournament round. In horrible winds, drizzle, and fading light. My #1 is in 2nd place overall. The boy's really struggled. Our best player couldn't play. Our #3 had to take a job and hasn't practiced in a month. We are in 5th of 11th and going nowhere. Hoping for a top 10 from my #2 player.

Funny story. I was at Top Golf with my team for practice this afternoon. I asked David Ogrin (former PGA tour player from Waukegan) and their Director of Instruction if he had played Augusta. I knew he won the Texas Open and must have qualified for at least one Masters.

"David, did you play the Masters?"

"Yes, three times"

"What's your favorite Master's memory?"

Without any hesitation "1984 I made the cut and played with Jack on Saturday."

That wins most any golf story, told in most any bar, anywhere I've been.

He went on to tell about he and Jack both hitting over the green on 5 and ending up in some bushes. He mentions they are walking back there and he does a dead on imitation of Jack "I didn't know there were these bushes back here."

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
Good story from Ogrin. It was exciting back then when he would occasionally contend. Big Cubs fan.

But still a nice guy. He's a damn good student of the game and from what I can tell a solid instructor. I don't do much teaching when I am there, I find myself watching what he is doing and picking up some nice tips.