Weaver signs 5 yr/$85 million extension

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
Weaver signs a 5 year, 85 million dollar extension. Not good news for the Sox, as that's one less pitcher on the 2013 FA market to contend with Danks.

This probably also means the Sox would have to come in at $14-15 million per season to extend Danksy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
This probably also means the Sox would have to come in at $14-15 million per season to extend Danksy.

I fail to see how this is bad news for the Sox. We already knew that we weren't re-signing Danks, and now it takes another potential starter off of the market. This gives the Sox more leverage in trading Danks, doesn't it?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Weaver signs a 5 year, 85 million dollar extension. Not good news for the Sox, as that's one less pitcher on the 2013 FA market to contend with Danks.

It shocked me that Jarred went that low and short. Maybe his bro going year to year and team to team has some effect on him?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)

This is much smaller deal than what Weaver could have gotten as a FA. It is also way below what he could have pulled in. There is no doubt in my mind he could have pulled CC numbers or better.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,5861355.story

This has to limit Danks to 5 and $70/75, doesn't it?

Of course, he COULD get more on the open market, but that's a pretty strong deal for the Angels....as many were suggesting Danks would get almost as much as what Weaver ended up with.

I don't you can make many arguments that Danks has been in Weaver's league the last 2-3 seasons as a pitcher. Not consistently.

Danks has been close to a 3 ERA at times (mostly in 2008), but sub 2.00? No way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,5861355.story

Of course, he COULD get more on the open market, but that's a pretty strong deal for the Angels....as many were suggesting Danks would get almost as much as what Weaver ended up with.

I don't you can make many arguments that Danks has been in Weaver's league the last 2-3 seasons as a pitcher. Not consistently.

Danks has been close to a 3 ERA at times (mostly in 2008), but sub 2.00? No way.

One pitcher taking a below market deal ≠ all pitchers will take below market deals.

This might well increase D1's free agent market value. The competition has dwindled in 2012 now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)

No way. Weaver chose to avoid free agency, you can't compare the two. In fact, Danks could probably get more money now, as that's one less arm he has to compete with.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
No way. Weaver chose to avoid free agency, you can't compare the two. In fact, Danks could probably get more money now, as that's one less arm he has to compete with.

I just started a poll/discussion on this in PHT since the Weaver deal could be comparable to Danks (if Danks was willing to give the Sox a hometown discount).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
It shocked me that Jarred went that low and short. Maybe his bro going year to year and team to team has some effect on him?

30 teams in the league. Playing the free agency market with speculation on two players is just silly. Surprised the Phillies didn't snag Weaver for the #5 spot... :unsure: Just kidding.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Wever understands that life isnt always necessarily about who has the biggest pay day.

"If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?" Weaver said Tuesday. "I've never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball's going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life."

:wub:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
"If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?" Weaver said Tuesday. "I've never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball's going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life."

:wub:

Jered Weaver just became one of my top 5 current players. I seriously might have to consider him #1.

It's dumbfounding that he is the ONLY guy in sports that I ever recall making a statement like that.

How is he the only one that gets it?

He's a real stand up guy and the Angels are lucky to have him. Angels are my 2nd team so it's nice to hear something positive like this for a change.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Then again, if Nick Swisher or Alex Rios were to say that, we'd probably think their PR person or agent wrote it and that it was entirely disengenuous.

Anybody can say it, but he walked the walk by signing a sweetheart deal. I can't recall anyone who has taken a deal THAT under market value, even our hero Konerko.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Anybody can say it, but he walked the walk by signing a sweetheart deal. I can't recall anyone who has taken a deal THAT under market value, even our hero Konerko.

Its different when you are actually FROM the area