Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
If Paulie is in the field, then how does he call for a pitcher to warmup? Or to replace a pitcher?

I also think there would be a ton of jealousy/fighting that goes on over Paulie being in that position.

From who? He's been there the longest and (pretty much) his whole career. All you need is a bench coach for the other stuff. Need to replace a pitcher? call time out and walk over to the mound. Player managers are still an idea because they have existed. I can't think of a sport, save basketball that could so easily have a player manager.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
If Paulie is in the field, then how does he call for a pitcher to warmup? Or to replace a pitcher?

I also think there would be a ton of jealousy/fighting that goes on over Paulie being in that position.

Not to mention if he walks to the mound, what determines an "official" visit, and not just something like setting the defense?

What did they do in the 70s and 80s with frank robinson and pete rose, old dudes? There's been like 100+ player managers in the history of this game. They only have separate managers now is for vanity. The white sox should bring it back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
What did they do in the 70s and 80s with frank robinson and pete rose, old dudes? There's been like 100+ player managers in the history of this game. They only have separate managers now is for vanity. The white sox should bring it back.

A part of me thinks with the explosion of information and technology if it would actually be easier to be a player manager these days instead of harder. You don't need to lean on your staff as much to know if Batter A hits lefties or righties better anymore. It is all at your finger tips.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
A part of me thinks with the explosion of information and technology if it would actually be easier to be a player manager these days instead of harder. You don't need to lean on your staff as much to know if Batter A hits lefties or righties better anymore. It is all at your finger tips.

That's exactly how I feel.

Going back to the Ventura vs Thomas story...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5889338.story

When he stood up to manager Terry Bevington during Bevington's reign of inanity in the mid-90s, his teammates followed in step. One of the best examples of Ventura's reputation as a clubhouse kingpin came during a game at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 8, 1996, when teammate Frank Thomas went after him in the dugout during an argument.

The scuffle was broken up quickly after Thomas shoved Ventura, and Bevington gathered both in his office following the game to tell them not to discuss it with the media. Teammate Dave Martinez had no such instructions and told reporters Thomas had "snapped" when Ventura told him to pipe down after arguing with the plate umpire following a strikeout.

"(Ventura) was just speaking honestly in the dugout, and (Thomas) snapped," Martinez said. "When a guy 275 pounds snaps, look out."

Ventura and Thomas settled their differences and remained friends. But by standing up to the Big Hurt, Ventura established himself as the man in the clubhouse — in case there had been any question.

Now he has to prove himself again to a skeptical fan base.

As Ventura would say, "that's just the way it is."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

The opposite side of that though is the predictability factor and the risk of becoming a lame duck micromanager.

Game observations tell stories far better than stat sheets do because the stat sheets try to eliminate the stories altogether, and if you don't know the game on the field then you really have no place in the dugout running the show anyway.

If anything, not to sound like Hawk here or anything, but the role of agents and the amount of money involved makes player managers almost an impossibility these days. The only player I can actually think of off the top of my head who might be able to pull it off would be Tim Wakefield, because his situation as a player is pretty unique to say the least and he's not really anyone's benchmark economically or statistically, and in theory, he could have that auto-renewing manager's contract where he could place himself as the 25th man on the roster and only step in on short notice when the pitching staff really needed the extra help. But attempting to manage the game while in the bullpen warming up still would be pretty unnecessary.

Yeah I can't think of anyone who would even be in position to try pulling it off, much less actually pull it off. The only situation where it would be fun would be if you had a perfect storm type situation where you had a long-time hometown player retiring from the game during a miserable non-contending season where you just happened to can the manager and most of his coaching staff. If MB were 37 or something this year, and this was the end, those last 2 games being managed by Buehrle instead of Coop would have been a perfect send off. That's probably the only scenario I could see where a player-manager happens again.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 05:09 AM)
The opposite side of that though is the predictability factor and the risk of becoming a lame duck micromanager.

Game observations tell stories far better than stat sheets do because the stat sheets try to eliminate the stories altogether, and if you don't know the game on the field then you really have no place in the dugout running the show anyway.

If anything, not to sound like Hawk here or anything, but the role of agents and the amount of money involved makes player managers almost an impossibility these days. The only player I can actually think of off the top of my head who might be able to pull it off would be Tim Wakefield, because his situation as a player is pretty unique to say the least and he's not really anyone's benchmark economically or statistically, and in theory, he could have that auto-renewing manager's contract where he could place himself as the 25th man on the roster and only step in on short notice when the pitching staff really needed the extra help. But attempting to manage the game while in the bullpen warming up still would be pretty unnecessary.

Yeah I can't think of anyone who would even be in position to try pulling it off, much less actually pull it off. The only situation where it would be fun would be if you had a perfect storm type situation where you had a long-time hometown player retiring from the game during a miserable non-contending season where you just happened to can the manager and most of his coaching staff. If MB were 37 or something this year, and this was the end, those last 2 games being managed by Buehrle instead of Coop would have been a perfect send off. That's probably the only scenario I could see where a player-manager happens again.

I understand all of your points, but I think we are underestimating the delegation that can occur with a player manager. Every individual decision in a game does not particularly need to be made by him, general strategy can be asserted prior to the game and executed by other coaches during the game, much like a football coach. It's not that I necessarily want Konerko to be player manager as I want to see a player manager sometime soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Watching the presser... well, for good or bad, Robin is the anti-Ozzie in front of the cameras.

Yes, these will be the most boring post-game press conferences ever.