Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
As I said yesterday marlins will land Reyes and also could land buerhle

Hope they land Prince too. :)

Also, hope that we sell flipping everything we can possibly get value for and just start fresh.

Buerhle or not - sell, sell, sell.

Buehrle starts about 16 home games and Konerko sat the last series at home to maintain a .300 average.

I just want winners. I don't care about the names on the backs of the jerseys.

And let me be clear, Buehrle and Konerko may be my two favorite Sox players ever. But winning trumps all and that's what gets Sox fans to the park.

Right. And, these are the 2 biggest winners the Sox have had in a long time. With these being 2 of the very few professional ball players the Sox have right now, they are likely last place finishers in the dvision without them. With them, they might be middle of the pack.....might have a shot at .500.

How will attendance be when the Sox are in the cellar of the AL Central ? And, besides these 2 stars who else on the Sox would you go out and pay money to watch?

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Right. And, these are the 2 biggest winners the Sox have had in a long time. With these being 2 of the very few professional ball players the Sox have right now, they are likely last place finishers in the dvision without them. With them, they might be middle of the pack.....might have a shot at .500.

How will attendance be when the Sox are in the cellar of the AL Central ? And, besides these 2 stars who else on the Sox would you go out and pay money to watch?

If I had the desire to write a lengthy response, I would. But I don't.

Let's just say, don't worry about Konerko leaving. He's staying for a few more years.

And to me, last place and finishing .500 is the same thing---no playoffs. There's no difference to me.

I'd rather finish last and have a real farm system, than finish .500 and no farm system. That's why this team is stuck in the middle.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
And to me, last place and finishing .500 is the same thing---no playoffs. There's no difference to me.

I rather finish last and have a real farm system, than finish .500 and no farm system. That's why this team is stuck in the middle.

My sentiments as well, as unpopular as the opinion might be.

Personally, I'll be attending more Sox games if they decide to rebuild.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
I agree as well. And please, allow Miami to overpay for their FA's like they did with Reyes. So it could blow up in Ozzie's face.

Reyes and Hanley... Oz must be pissing himself.

count me on board for the total rebuild.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)

Besides what others have already said, I wouldn't care who is on the team. I'd go to games anyway. I'm a fam of the team, not the players. Having those two would clearly mean a better team, but only slightly better. Not much difference in my mind between .500 and last place.

I have a sinking feeling we're not going to like our roster after the winter meetings and free agency.

Losing Mark and Danks does not bode well.

Sale better be amazing as a sterter and I'm not sold on Humber/Stewart as anything more than the hacks the Royals have been trotting out there the last 20 years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
I have a sinking feeling we're not going to like our roster after the winter meetings and free agency.

Losing Mark and Danks does not bode well.

Sale better be amazing as a sterter and I'm not sold on Humber/Stewart as anything more than the hacks the Royals have been trotting out there the last 20 years.

WE may like it if we support a rebuild. YOU almost certainly will not.

With the free agent starter market thin on the left with just Buehrle and Wilson - look for Danks to command a haul. There currently are 14 teams reportedly interested in Buehrle and those who miss out may drive the price up on Danks.

With the free agent starter market thin on the left with just Buehrle and Wilson - look for Danks to command a haul. There currently are 14 teams reportedly interested in Buehrle and those who miss out may drive the price up on Danks.

Isn't that even more reason to shell out the money for Mark? To have one more team in the bidding war for Danks?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
If you plan on moving Danks and Floyd, then why the f*** not?

...because if you move both of them, feigning interest in competing in 2012... and spending a ton of money to do so (on Mark Buehrle) would be entirely moronic on all fronts.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Besides what others have already said, I wouldn't care who is on the team. I'd go to games anyway. I'm a fam of the team, not the players. Having those two would clearly mean a better team, but only slightly better. Not much difference in my mind between .500 and last place.

Most of us on this board feel this way. However, this is not the way all of the regular fans see it. If the regular fans get disgusted with the rebuilding process and don't show up the revenue will drop and it will greatly effect the way the team is run. This may change the way the team is run that is different from our view or the"ideal" way it should be run.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
If the regular fans get disgusted with the rebuilding process and don't show up the revenue will drop and it will greatly effect the way the team is run.

Yeah... but they didn't come out this year with a high payroll because the team sucked. Chances are, the White Sox will be bad the next couple of seasons... might as well do so cheaper.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
...because if you move both of them, feigning interest in competing in 2012... and spending a ton of money to do so (on Mark Buehrle) would be entirely moronic on all fronts.

Not on all fronts. As I said earlier keeping the fans a little happy does need to be a consideration otherwise you may cut off a major revenue source.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Not on all fronts. As I said earlier keeping the fans a little happy does need to be a consideration otherwise you may cut off a major revenue source.

Exactly. A guy like Buehrle being back could help keep some fans around during a transition period. As a franchise you would rather not have to rebuild your season ticket base as much as possible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah... but they didn't come out this year with a high payroll because the team sucked. Chances are, the White Sox will be bad the next couple of seasons... might as well do so cheaper.

I agree with you. However, the people who control the money still need to take it into consideration. It's not as cut and dry as we see it. Unfortunately, I think this will be the reason behind some of the odd decisions we may see in the next couple of weeks.