Sox wearing 1972 color uniforms this season

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
This is the first Sox uniform I remember as a kid, so this makes me very happy.

I remember getting the giveaway "jersey t-shirt" that had the pinstripes and logo on the front but was plain white with no pinstripes on the back.

:lolhitting Ahhhh, that Bill Veeck!

Me too. I've always loved the red pinstripes.

My giveaway memory of those unis is of Chicken Unlimited Jacket Day. That vinyl and rubber banded atrocity cut off my circulation at both wrists, and made me sweat profusely and smell like a chemical factory. Oh how I loved it.

Didn't they say something a few years back about never wearing throwbacks from an era when they didn't make the playoffs (or something like that)?

I like the idea of wearing retro uniforms on Sundays, and I also like these particular uniforms, but 1972 seems like an odd year to commemorate.

I guess i don't really care for the red stripe uniforms since the team's name is the White Sox and there is another team in the league named the Red Sox. Just kind of weird to me. You'd think they'd avoid highlighting that color in any uniform because of that

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
I guess i don't really care for the red stripe uniforms since the team's name is the White Sox and there is another team in the league named the Red Sox. Just kind of weird to me. You'd think they'd avoid highlighting that color in any uniform because of that

Yeah, but it's a fashion faux-pas to wear white on white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day...so there's that.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Bite your tongue. I saved up months of allowance and paperboy money to buy one for about $50 back in the day.

These were the unis when I became a Sox fan as a kid so I will always have a soft spot for them, too.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
Me too. I've always loved the red pinstripes.

My giveaway memory of those unis is of Chicken Unlimited Jacket Day. That vinyl and rubber banded atrocity cut off my circulation at both wrists, and made me sweat profusely and smell like a chemical factory. Oh how I loved it.

YES!! That windbreaker (way too thin material to really be called a jacket) was awful/awesome!

Here's the day I most remember from the 1972 season. I was in high school, and a buddy of mine joined me for this doubleheader. We were sitting in the left field bleachers, and Dick Allen's pinch hit HR was headed straight for us when it left the bat, but we ended up missing it by a few rows of seats. Found this description on Sox Talk.

1972: Dick Allen’s three-run pinch-hit walkoff homer handed the White Sox a sweep-clinching 5-4 win over the Yankees in Game 2 of a doubleheader before a Bat Day crowd of 51,904 at Comiskey Park. The blast made a winner out of Cy Acosta, who pitched a scoreless top of the ninth in his big league debut. In the opener, the Sox rode a four-run third -- thanks to two-RBIs each by Mike Andrews and Carlos May -- to a 6-1 win. Tom Bradley gave up one run on six hits with one walk and eight strikeouts in a complete game effort to improve to 6-2.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:58 AM)
Sure, but my point is that the 1972 season wasn't really anything special. What is it that they're celebrating?

The 1972 team was a pretty damn good team (the As were just a bit better). And after what I fear we experience this season, we'll look back on that team as baseball gods.

• 2 months later...