The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
We've got cats too. Dogs are too damned high maintenance. We don't have the time they should get.

What is the Jack Nicholson line from Good as it Gets?

Something like a dog gives his affection freely, but you have to EARN a cat's affection?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Wait, you are using a self feeder for your dogs, and you call others lazy for not teaching their dogs self control?

What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Many dogs will completely gorge themselves until food is not available, you can't just teach them to eat until their stomachs are full. It is great it works for you, doesn't mean it would work for me. And I know it wouldn't.

Lol, good point.

And both dogs we have owned have eaten this way their whole lives w/ us. They eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. Neither ever had any sort of problems., and neither dog was overweight. Maybe we just had really smart dogs? Or maybe golden retrievers are smarter than a typical dog? Like I said, my brother just got a golden puppy a couple weeks ago and he just purchased a similar feeder. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I am willing to bet it works for more dogs than you would think, as long as you start it when they are puppies.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Lol, good point.

And both dogs we have owned have eaten this way their whole lives w/ us. They eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. Neither ever had any sort of problems., and neither dog was overweight. Maybe we just had really smart dogs? Or maybe golden retrievers are smarter than a typical dog? Like I said, my brother just got a golden puppy a couple weeks ago and he just purchased a similar feeder. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I am willing to bet it works for more dogs than you would think, as long as you start it when they are puppies.

Now that I think about it, that thing could actually work for our dog. He's too old to try it now. But we feed him twice a day, half the time he won't eat it right away. Sometimes he eats half, sometimes he goes a whole day without eating. He seems to have the only eat when you are hungry thing down anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Now that I think about it, that thing could actually work for our dog. He's too old to try it now. But we feed him twice a day, half the time he won't eat it right away. Sometimes he eats half, sometimes he goes a whole day without eating. He seems to have the only eat when you are hungry thing down anyway.

Are you planning on getting a dog after this one? You could always get one, try it with your current dog, and if he isn't using it properly, then you can just hold on to it for when you get another dog. It's seriously such a convenience. And I think this also contributes to our dogs never taking food off tables, plates, or any food that is not theirs. If it's not given to her directly, put on the floor, or in her feeder, she won't eat it. Completely different story when compared to my grandma's lab who does NOT have an automatic feeder and is prone to jumping up and grabbing food off the counter top, opening drawers and eating food, and trying to eat groceries. I guess when our dogs are never scared of being deprived of food, they don't feel the need to get in trouble by stealing food.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
?????? I mean, it should be obvious, so the dog can eat when it wants, and you never have to put food out?

??????

If it's so much work to feed your dog once or twice a day, why bother getting a dog in the first place?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
??????

If it's so much work to feed your dog once or twice a day, why bother getting a dog in the first place?

Who buys a dog so they can feed it twice a day?? I don't understand you argument. This solution works out great for both the dog and the owners. Arguing just to argue?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Who buys a dog so they can feed it twice a day?? I don't understand you argument. This solution works out great for both the dog and the owners. Arguing just to argue?

The argument is really simple. You act like having a dog is a necessary fact of life or something...if it's too much work to feed a dog once or twice a day (what does this take, honestly, 5 minutes tops??), why even bother to even have a dog?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
The argument is really simple. You act like having a dog is a necessary fact of life or something...if it's too much work to feed a dog once or twice a day (what does this take, honestly, 5 minutes tops??), why even bother to even have a dog?

Again, why do it twice a day when you could NOT do it......ever? You are making it seem like the only reason someone gets a dog is so they can feed the dog.

It's called a convenience. Many things are invented because it's a convenience, not because "it's too hard" to do. It's a convenience for the owner, it's a convenience for the dog. \\

It's like saying "Hairdryers are dumb. It takes, what, 5-10 minutes to dry your hair with a towel? What's the point of even having hair then?"

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

You already have to remember to take the dog outside at least twice a day. We've just gotten into the habit of filling their bowls one of the times they are outside.

Dogs are very food motivated. That's why most people use treats when training their dog. I'm not even sure how you would go about teaching a dog to not eat when the food is always available.

Did you actively train yours that way or do they just know to stop when they are full?

Dogs jumping on the counter trying to steal food just need to be trained to not do that. It's not because they are hungry and have no food in their bowls.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
You already have to remember to take the dog outside at least twice a day. We've just gotten into the habit of filling their bowls one of the times they are outside.

Dogs are very food motivated. That's why most people use treats when training their dog. I'm not even sure how you would go about teaching a dog to not eat when the food is always available.

Did you actively train yours that way or do they just know to stop when they are full?

Dogs jumping on the counter trying to steal food just need to be trained to not do that. It's not because they are hungry and have no food in their bowls.

I guess I would have to ask my parents, but I don't recall ever having to teach her when to stop. And on really nice spring or summer days when we will plan on leaving her outside all day, we just fill up a big bowl of food, and she portions it out over the course of a day, just eating here and there when she wants to. Since my brother is going through the puppy phase right now, I'll ask him how he is teaching her to use the feeder.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Again, why do it twice a day when you could NOT do it......ever? You are making it seem like the only reason someone gets a dog is so they can feed the dog.

It's called a convenience. Many things are invented because it's a convenience, not because "it's too hard" to do. It's a convenience for the owner, it's a convenience for the dog. \\

It's like saying "Hairdryers are dumb. It takes, what, 5-10 minutes to dry your hair with a towel? What's the point of even having hair then?"

So let me ask you this, would you feed your kids this way?

There are a lot of things that could be done in an easier way, but they aren't because the easier way produces s***ty results. And with some things, you're just being downright lazy.

Your dogs are domesticated animals that I am assuming live in your house? They are not farm animals that you own for the purpose of slaughtering them.

I'm not telling you how to feed your dogs, but my guess is most people are a bit more concerned about their dog's eating habits than just dumping a 40 pound bag in some sheet metal contraption and calling it a day.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
So let me ask you this, would you feed your kids this way?

There are a lot of things that could be done in an easier way, but they aren't because the easier way produces s***ty results. And with some things, you're just being downright lazy.

Your dogs are domesticated animals that I am assuming live in your house? They are not farm animals that you own for the purpose of slaughtering them.

I'm not telling you how to feed your dogs, but my guess is most people are a bit more concerned about their dog's eating habits than just dumping a 40 pound bag in some sheet metal contraption and calling it a day.

Lol, you argument is ALL OVER THE PLACE. How is this is any way like feeding children? But just for s***s and giggles, yeah, it is kind of like that anyway. You keep food in your house, and your kids will go get some when they are feeling hungry. You don't put out a plate of food twice a day for your kids and if they are hungry at any other point, OH WELL.

And how does having an automatic dog feeder produce s***ty results? That makes no sense.

And I like how you liken having an automatic dog feeder to "not caring about my dog's eating habits", and acting like this is some sort of barbaric thing to do.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Lol, you argument is ALL OVER THE PLACE. How is this is any way like feeding children? But just for s***s and giggles, yeah, it is kind of like that anyway. You keep food in your house, and your kids will go get some when they are feeling hungry. You don't put out a plate of food twice a day for your kids and if they are hungry at any other point, OH WELL.

And how does having an automatic dog feeder produce s***ty results? That makes no sense.

And I like how you liken having an automatic dog feeder to "not caring about my dog's eating habits", and acting like this is some sort of barbaric thing to do.

How many other people have you seen with this sort of contraption, Joe?

And honestly, our beliefs on this topic are so far apart it's really not even worth carrying on about it anymore.

If you're too lazy to put a freaking bowl down once or twice a day you should probably have gerbils, not dogs.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
How many other people have you seen with this sort of contraption, Joe?

And honestly, our beliefs on this topic are so far apart it's really not even worth carrying on about it anymore.

If you're too lazy to put a freaking bowl down once or twice a day you should probably have gerbils, not dogs.

Yeah, this is going no where. I just can't understand where you are even coming from.

And to use your logic of argument, if you hate your dog so much that you won't let it eat when it wants, might as well just own some fish.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
Yeah, this is going no where. I just can't understand where you are even coming from.

And to use your logic of argument, if you hate your dog so much that you won't let it eat when it wants, might as well just own some fish.

Joe, there is a reason that people don't use these things...of all the people you know that have dogs, how many have employed this stupid f***ing device?

The reason this contraption works with your dogs is because you are feeding your dogs heated, compressed mystery materials. If you were feeding your dog something it actually enjoyed eating, it would show some life and enthusiasm towards eating it. Instead, you feed it some Old Yeller sawdust that comes out of a sheet metal contraption and all your dogs do is sadly eat the bare minimum required to subsist.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
With my daughter :D

It is hers, we discussed how it will get upwards of 80-110 lbs and she knows it will live for a long time. She wanted it, she got it.

WOW...that is one big turtle!

How old is your daughter?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Joe, there is a reason that people don't use these things...of all the people you know that have dogs, how many have employed this stupid f***ing device?

The reason this contraption works with your dogs is because you are feeding your dogs heated, compressed mystery materials. If you were feeding your dog something it actually enjoyed eating, it would show some life and enthusiasm towards eating it. Instead, you feed it some Old Yeller sawdust that comes out of a sheet metal contraption and all your dogs do is sadly eat the bare minimum required to subsist.

I don't think people really trust that their dogs won't over-eat, which is understandable. But you won't know unless you try.

And as for the second paragraph, lol, where the hell do you get this stuff? How does the container in which the food is held change it from normal Iams/Pedigree (whatever we buy) dogfood, to "heated, compressed mystery materials" and "sawdust"? Are you under the impression that this thing somehow MAKES food too?

For those of you who were interested, and didn't have some sort of irrational, weird hate towards dog feeders, I asked my brother how he is planning on getting his puppy to use it and he said she is already using it, and has been since the day he got her. He said he just had to push the little door open and show her that there was food in it, and after a couple times she remembered and has been doing it for a couple weeks now. No over-eating or anything, at 3-months old she has learned to control herself.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
WOW...that is one big turtle!

How old is your daughter?

She is 11. She has been begging for this for 4 years, since she went with me to the Streamwood Reptile swap back when I had my Chameleon and Bearded dragon

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
I don't think people really trust that their dogs won't over-eat, which is understandable. But you won't know unless you try.

And as for the second paragraph, lol, where the hell do you get this stuff? How does the container in which the food is held change it from normal Iams/Pedigree (whatever we buy) dogfood, to "heated, compressed mystery materials" and "sawdust"? Are you under the impression that this thing somehow MAKES food too?

I'm talking about how your dog food is made. How do you think it ends up in those little nifty pellets? They put all kinds of horrible s*** in these mass-produced foods, including cheap crap fillers and they have even found other dead animal carcasses in them before.

Go to the website Iamscruelty.com to see how P&G operates as a company.

As for "trusting your dog," you are asking your dog to go against basically 20,000 years of evolution to eat this way. Wolves and later, domesticated dogs, hunted prey animals; they did not evolve to eat out of a "food dispenser." Additionally, their GI systems are not equipped to work this way. See my earlier post on liver functions.