The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Theres a difference between ones that make money and ones that make friends/family for life. Best way someone put it to me back in the day when i was looking at puppies. You are almost extended family to good breeders, others you are a paying customer.

Indeed...I have two Danes from the same breeder...speak/text/email them at least weekly...we share pictures, information, experiences, etc...I picked up my second dog personally in Ohio (keep in mind I live in Vegas) and met them and all their dogs...brought my first dog back to meet his mom and dad again...

Now I would never recommend someone NOT adopt a dog from a shelter; in fact, I have one I adopted back in November. But I would never think twice to buy another dog from a great breeder either.

Gave dog a Greenie for the first time today and he ate it in like 5 minutes. Not sure how much it could have done to his teeth. Petsmart gave me one for free to try as I bought a bad of pedigree dental stix, so no money lost.

• 3 weeks later...

So we ended up buying one of those standard play pen things for the dog, that way she wasn't always locked in a small crate or in a bathroom when we were gone or when she couldn't be left alone in the apartment (because she's shown she'll chew things like a tv stand, crown molding on the wall, etc. Been pretty good for a while, but she sure leaps at the thing and tries to get out. She's got some hops.

Well this morning she was in there and going crazy, and all the sudden she got out. We didn't see it happen, but I'm guessing she either was able to get her front legs over and pull herself over, or she did it all in one motion and essentially tumbled over and landed awkwardly.

It's a problem not only because she got out, but because she could end up hurting herself continually trying to do that now. I figure that if she knows she could do it once, she'll just keep doing it every time until she gets out.

How do we fix this? Few ideas crossed my mind:

Go back to the crate only until she can be trusted

Go back to putting her in the bathroom with a closed door until she can be trusted

Put towels on top of the pen and basically tie them down so it's a roof. Currently we have one draped over half of it so it's more like a "den"

Prop up the pen from the bottom all the way around to make it higher

Build something on top of the pen to make it higher

Put the harness on her and tie it to the inside of the crate so it won't allow her to get out

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What is the best plan of attack? Some solutions are much easier than others. But we'd love to be able to have her utilize the pen, as she has been much calmer than when she gets locked in a bathroom separated from everything. We've also had her sleeping only in the actual crate, and I think she's slowly associating crate with sleep time and she usually goes to bed without a fuss now and doesn't bark at all during the night.

My initial thought was towels on top of the cage to build a roof but somehow tying them down with zip ties or something so they can't be pulled down either.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
So we ended up buying one of those standard play pen things for the dog, that way she wasn't always locked in a small crate or in a bathroom when we were gone or when she couldn't be left alone in the apartment (because she's shown she'll chew things like a tv stand, crown molding on the wall, etc. Been pretty good for a while, but she sure leaps at the thing and tries to get out. She's got some hops.

Well this morning she was in there and going crazy, and all the sudden she got out. We didn't see it happen, but I'm guessing she either was able to get her front legs over and pull herself over, or she did it all in one motion and essentially tumbled over and landed awkwardly.

It's a problem not only because she got out, but because she could end up hurting herself continually trying to do that now. I figure that if she knows she could do it once, she'll just keep doing it every time until she gets out.

How do we fix this? Few ideas crossed my mind:

Go back to the crate only until she can be trusted

Go back to putting her in the bathroom with a closed door until she can be trusted

Put towels on top of the pen and basically tie them down so it's a roof. Currently we have one draped over half of it so it's more like a "den"

Prop up the pen from the bottom all the way around to make it higher

Build something on top of the pen to make it higher

Put the harness on her and tie it to the inside of the crate so it won't allow her to get out

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What is the best plan of attack? Some solutions are much easier than others. But we'd love to be able to have her utilize the pen, as she has been much calmer than when she gets locked in a bathroom separated from everything. We've also had her sleeping only in the actual crate, and I think she's slowly associating crate with sleep time and she usually goes to bed without a fuss now and doesn't bark at all during the night.

My initial thought was towels on top of the cage to build a roof but somehow tying them down with zip ties or something so they can't be pulled down either.

My concerns about putting something over the top is her somehow getting tangled up in it and hurting herself worse...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Why not just crate her all day? People thank that's abusive, but dogs prefer a safe den if they have to be alone. Especially as young dogs.

I know we could, it's just having more space to play a bit, lay around, the food/water is in there to get to, if she needs to go to the bathroom it's easier (though she really hasn't, she waits to get out) etc. Just seems "nicer" to treat the dog that way, plus like I said at least now she associates sleep time with the crate at night.

Right now we've cut the crate in half with a box in there, but we could take it out to make if the full size.

Edited by IlliniKrush

My dog hated his crate so we felt awful using it. But he never chewed anything so the couch has proven to be fine for him.

How long are you gone during the day and have you acclimated her to being alone?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Why not just crate her all day? People thank that's abusive, but dogs prefer a safe den if they have to be alone. Especially as young dogs.

It's not quite that simple...yes, a dog enjoys a place where it can feel safe and comfortable. But if you're talking about an active breed and keeping it crated for 8 hours during the day, I'm not sure it wants to feel that safe...:)

The key for me is going to be what are you doing with the dog the rest of the day? If you're going to be gone for long hours, and you have an active breed, you need to get that dog out somewhere to run and burn off some energy. Not only is that healthy for the dog, but its going to make the rest of your day easier because the dog will be content, behave better, and most likely sleep a lot more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
One of our cats lived in the wild for the first couple of months she was alive. She learned to click like a squirrel and do a rough imitation of a bird tweet. 13 years later she will still sit in our window and try to draw them over to kill them.

That's actually cat instinct and doesn't have anything to do with living in the wild. Both of my cats do the same thing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Dont lock a dog in the bathroom, all it takes it one hail storm or some irrational fear and your entire door/molding is gone down the the studs.

When I was looking for a house, I toured one that looked ok until we saw the downstairs bathroom. It was obvious that the owners kept their dog in there. Everything was torn to hell: the door, the walls, the floor. Awful.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
When I was looking for a house, I toured one that looked ok until we saw the downstairs bathroom. It was obvious that the owners kept their dog in there. Everything was torn to hell: the door, the walls, the floor. Awful.

My dog began locking herself in my master bathroom when we left the house, there is almost nothing left of the doorway, and it never happened before. Dogs are completely irrational and you have no control over them no matter what you think. I see people walking their dogs in the city off leash and have seen almost the same amount run away after another dog even if their owner thought they controlled them. Dogs are f***ing weird.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
It's not quite that simple...yes, a dog enjoys a place where it can feel safe and comfortable. But if you're talking about an active breed and keeping it crated for 8 hours during the day, I'm not sure it wants to feel that safe...:)

The key for me is going to be what are you doing with the dog the rest of the day? If you're going to be gone for long hours, and you have an active breed, you need to get that dog out somewhere to run and burn off some energy. Not only is that healthy for the dog, but its going to make the rest of your day easier because the dog will be content, behave better, and most likely sleep a lot more.

I work from home. So during the morning I have to do some work, be on calls, and I can't supervise her a lot. But can't leave her just out to roam - even if she was in the room with me she's still going to run around and try to chew stuff, etc. The office is different than the main room so I can't leave her in that main room by herself. During the early afternoon I'll take her out and just let her roam. If I go to the gym, back in the pen. Before I have to work again I'll put her in the pen for a while until the wife gets home, and then she's free the rest of the time.

If we go out on a Saturday night or whatever, we'll put her in the pen instead of the crate.

We usually try to walk her in the evening, we don't always get to in the morning, but I try to play fetch etc inside the apartment during the afternoon to burn off energy.

I just think the pen is a much better alternative than the crate for those few hour time periods she can't be supervised (and like I said I think it helps her associate night time and sleeping with the crate now) but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, would a roof fix part of the problem? She isn't always crazy in there, a lot of times she's just chill. But I think if she's wound up or has been with us a while and knows we're there in the other room, she'll jump. If she thinks were gone or it's been a while she calms down a lot and just hangs out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I work from home. So during the morning I have to do some work, be on calls, and I can't supervise her a lot. But can't leave her just out to roam - even if she was in the room with me she's still going to run around and try to chew stuff, etc. The office is different than the main room so I can't leave her in that main room by herself. During the early afternoon I'll take her out and just let her roam. If I go to the gym, back in the pen. Before I have to work again I'll put her in the pen for a while until the wife gets home, and then she's free the rest of the time.

If we go out on a Saturday night or whatever, we'll put her in the pen instead of the crate.

We usually try to walk her in the evening, we don't always get to in the morning, but I try to play fetch etc inside the apartment during the afternoon to burn off energy.

I just think the pen is a much better alternative than the crate for those few hour time periods she can't be supervised (and like I said I think it helps her associate night time and sleeping with the crate now) but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, would a roof fix part of the problem? She isn't always crazy in there, a lot of times she's just chill. But I think if she's wound up or has been with us a while and knows we're there in the other room, she'll jump. If she thinks were gone or it's been a while she calms down a lot and just hangs out.

Yeah, give it a shot...you're home so you should hear if she gets herself into an awkward position...

Owning a dog is a lot of work when they are young, especially if you have both adults working and no kids to help out.

You are going to have to take some chances.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Wait, you dont walk your dog in the morning?

Not consistently. We need to make a better effort. I try to do a longer work late morning to early afternoon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Yeah, give it a shot...you're home so you should hear if she gets herself into an awkward position...

Owning a dog is a lot of work when they are young, especially if you have both adults working and no kids to help out.

You are going to have to take some chances.

Fair enough. Right now I just have towels over both sides. Doesn't seem too dangerous. Still can't believe she can jump that high (though she probably used the corner to help boost her up like an outfielder climbing the wall).

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Not consistently. We need to make a better effort. I try to do a longer work late morning to early afternoon.

Fair enough. Right now I just have towels over both sides. Doesn't seem too dangerous. Still can't believe she can jump that high (though she probably used the corner to help boost her up like an outfielder climbing the wall.

Dude, you HAVE to walk your dog in the morning. Get up a bit early if you have to, the morning walk is the most important IMO. My schedule for my 8 year old dog is 9am, 4pm, 10pm and she can go 12 hours in between since shes older. Puppies and younger dogs need to at least 4-5 times a day. They'll get into a routine, but at first the lack of consistent spaced out walks makes them frustrated and they can take it out on other things.

This isnt for you in particular but dogs are a s***load of work, I tell everyone when they are exclaiming how they are going to get a puppy and whatnot. They can control your life for YEARS and it will be a good 5 before they calm down enough to be that chill dog your friend has had for years.

Thanks for the advice Rock, I'll definitely adjust. I didn't know she'd need as many walks. We'll go for long walks and then the park for a bit, then come back, she's still wound up when she gets back. Is that just because she's still excited from being out? She shouldn't crash immediately, right?

I know dogs are work, I know you weren't directing it just to me. We knew what we were signing up for and waited a long time to jump in on this (I did have a dog growing up that started as a puppy, but since I was 8 when we got it, it's hard to remember what worked/what didn't). You are right, people have to be prepared for it and not expect it to be easy. That's why we keep trying to adjust and find answers, instead of just saying "why isn't she perfect isn't been 2 months."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
Thanks for the advice Rock, I'll definitely adjust. I didn't know she'd need as many walks. We'll go for long walks and then the park for a bit, then come back, she's still wound up when she gets back. Is that just because she's still excited from being out? She shouldn't crash immediately, right?

I know dogs are work, I know you weren't directing it just to me. We knew what we were signing up for and waited a long time to jump in on this (I did have a dog growing up that started as a puppy, but since I was 8 when we got it, it's hard to remember what worked/what didn't). You are right, people have to be prepared for it and not expect it to be easy. That's why we keep trying to adjust and find answers, instead of just saying "why isn't she perfect isn't been 2 months."

I walked my puppy every 2 hours at one point it f***ing sucked especially since I was in college at the time and had to rush home every few hours. Adult dogs can sometimes go out twice, IMO 3 times is about right, once before work, once when you get home and once before you get into bed. With the younger dogs, you have to walk them quite a bit, it also helps for socializing and teaching them how to behave on the leash. Luckily as they get older a walk around the block can suffice (my dog is really tired after that when its hot). Swimming is also a good way to get them some exercise on the weekends if you have something near you. My dog will swim after a tennis ball for a few HOURS and then crash for 2 days.

You know why they made puppies so cute right? Because at some point you will f***ing hate them but then you look at their face and all is forgiven. s***, sometimes with my 8 going on 9 year old I hate her guts, but all it takes it one face and you remember why you got a dog. Nothing is better than coming home to a happy dog.

I forgot to answer your question. My dog comes back inside wound up sometimes and literally sprints from one end to the other of my apt a few times. They are just happy you took them out because walking a dog creates serious bonds with them and they enjoy it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
You know why they made puppies so cute right? Because at some point you will f***ing hate them but then you look at their face and all is forgiven. s***, sometimes with my 8 going on 9 year old I hate her guts, but all it takes it one face and you remember why you got a dog. Nothing is better than coming home to a happy dog.

This exactly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
I walked my puppy every 2 hours at one point it f***ing sucked especially since I was in college at the time and had to rush home every few hours. Adult dogs can sometimes go out twice, IMO 3 times is about right, once before work, once when you get home and once before you get into bed. With the younger dogs, you have to walk them quite a bit, it also helps for socializing and teaching them how to behave on the leash. Luckily as they get older a walk around the block can suffice (my dog is really tired after that when its hot). Swimming is also a good way to get them some exercise on the weekends if you have something near you. My dog will swim after a tennis ball for a few HOURS and then crash for 2 days.

I forgot to answer your question. My dog comes back inside wound up sometimes and literally sprints from one end to the other of my apt a few times. They are just happy you took them out because walking a dog creates serious bonds with them and they enjoy it.

Welcome to having kids, X10.

Well not as far as hate... but same idea.

There is no magic number you have to "take your dog for a walk." You can substitute other things if need be. What Rock's dogs have benefited from are three things: 1) exercise; 2) a chance to quench their "seeking" sense or curiousity; and 3) a chance to work with and bond with their owner. All these things are desirable, but can be achieved in a variety of ways...don't feel like you need to walk your dog 6 times a day if there are other ways to accomplish these goals.

You can work with her to train her in obedience and/or tricks in your apartment. You can sign her up for an obedience class. You can take her to a park and have her chase anything and everything.

The key is you want to satisfy your dog's needs in a way that works best for her and for you. However you choose to accomplish that, is up to you.

Edited by iamshack