The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
that is what we though/think.. Still think she has a little something else in her.. One day I want to get one of those dog dna tests to see

With my parents dog, you definitely see both the lab and collie coming out in him as he is a great fetcher and great herder (when the cats out in the yard, it takes one "where's the kitty?" before he's off and sniffing for her and chasing her back to the house, whereas their two black labs, which were my sister's old dogs, have no clue what's going on).

And yes, whenever my dad hugs my mom, he barks and growls but nothing with any ill intent, primarily just because my mom is the maternal figure for him and he's "protecting" her.

Our puppy is finally done having those biting attacks, at least for now. Now when she starts biting and won't listen to us telling her to stop, we grab her by the scruff of the neck and she screams and cries for a second or two, and then just stays still and we let her go and she just walks away.

Also, it only took me about 15 minutes to teach her "sit". Obviously she is still working at it, but each day we practice it for 5 minutes or so at a time and she does pretty well.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
Our puppy is finally done having those biting attacks, at least for now. Now when she starts biting and won't listen to us telling her to stop, we grab her by the scruff of the neck and she screams and cries for a second or two, and then just stays still and we let her go and she just walks away.

Also, it only took me about 15 minutes to teach her "sit". Obviously she is still working at it, but each day we practice it for 5 minutes or so at a time and she does pretty well.

does your pup does small little yeps or growl when it is walking

away???

it prob the pup way of cussing you out

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
does your pup does small little yeps or growl when it is walking

away???

it prob the pup way of cussing you out

Haha, no, but yesterday she kept trying to get on the dishwasher door when it was down, and everytime she starting to hop on, I pushed her down and said NO. I calmly did this about 7 or 8 times in a row, within like 30 seconds, and eventually she just got frustrated with me and started huffing and threw herself on the ground like a baby throwing a tantrum. lol.

Oh, and great news, I think she actually made it through the night last night without needing to go out! I got home from a friend's house at 3:30 am and she woke up when I came in. I figured I better take her outside and then hope she falls back asleep. Well, I opened her cage, and she didn't even want to get out. She just looked at me. I called her name, patted my knees, even reached out to grab her, and she just put her head back down with the door wide open. So I just closed the cage and went to bed and she didn't whine or cry the rest of the night. My dad took her out at 7 am or whenever she woke up, and that was that.

I've noticed her poop is finally becoming more solid, so I'm wondering if that means she will be pooping less often and therefore being able to hold it in longer. She had runny wet poops for the first 4 days, and was s***ting 12-15 times a day. Now I think she's getting used to the new food we just moved her to a couple days ago and it's helping her poop become more solid which is giving her a chance to hold it overnight. I hope to god that's the case because I haven't been able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time yet without her needing to go out overnight.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
Don't hold your breath on the s***ting thing (well, maybe do, heh) but our puppy who is now 5 months old still routinely s***s 6 or 7 times a day. And good amounts too. I have no idea how it can all come out of a dog his size.

With my basset, it was his bladder. I am fairly sure it made up 96 percent of his body mass.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
Don't hold your breath on the s***ting thing (well, maybe do, heh) but our puppy who is now 5 months old still routinely s***s 6 or 7 times a day. And good amounts too. I have no idea how it can all come out of a dog his size.

6 or 7 times? Yikes.

When mine was a pup, 3 times at most. Now at 4, usually twice.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:03 AM)
And of course now, she won't stop whining in her cage. I smelled some terrible farts, so I took her out and she pooped. As soon as we get in, she whines again, so I take her out and she pees. Now we come back in and she continues to whine, so I just moved her to the cage in the kitchen because I'm not about to listen to that all night, especially since she JUST went pee and poop. Now I know she is just wanting to play.

What a dickhead puppy wanting to play. Glad you locked her up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
Switched our puppy over to a free-feeder today. I wasn't awake yet when my dad brought it out, but she ate herself in to a food coma, and hasn't eaten yet since. lol. She is visibly fat and bloated it's so adorable. But she'll even out in a few days and get used to it.

lol sorry but i was thinking of that like, sick puppy.

sorry.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
lol sorry but i was thinking of that like, sick puppy.

sorry.

We were expecting her to throw up, but she never did. Just insane amounts of gas and some pretty impressive s***s. She seems to be back to normal, behavior wise, today. Still looks like a chunker though. lol.

• 5 months later...

dusting this thread off....

so me and my wife decided to foster dogs for the time being, and we were given a brother and sister mix breed. They look to my like they have some jack russell or rat terrier in them, and the other breed i just cant decide. They are both long and skinny(we are working on that part), 5 months old, slightly skittish(which i expected because of what has happened to them so far in their short lives), but very sweet.

We have discussed possibly keeping them, but we just picked them up yesterday, so i am not sure yet. Anyone have experience fostering? any tips?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have no experience of fostering, but I got my dog from a foster and she said just give them as much love as you can for the first couple weeks, give them treats for going to the bathroom for the first week, rewarding good behavior, and like I said just be there for them as much as you can with how they have been neglected.

Hope that helps.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
The dogs were shipped up here to Rescue Warriors in Elgin, from Texas. We think they may be refugees from all of the flooding

My puppy also came here (Schaumburg) from Texas. She was part of Last Paw Rescue.

If anyone in the Plainfield area is looking to try fostering, the rescue I volunteer at is in dire need of temporary fosters for 2-4 weeks. However, you need to not currently have dogs. Try as we might, that damn dog flue has found its way into our rescue and we need to move out all the dogs we can and sterilize the place.

• 4 weeks later...

Are German Shepherds usually outside dogs? There are people down the street that have one that seems to always be outside. It has been raining a lot here lately and their yard has mud all over it and so does the dog. I'm not really sure if they really even take care of it or just got the dog to be a "guard" dog. I feel really bad for the dog and it probably isn't getting the proper training a German Shepherd really needs.

Edited by BigHurt3515