AAP: Jose Guillermo Quintana

:gosoxretro:

Current stats, both minor and major leagues

Signed with the New York Mets as a free agent on April 26, 2006... signed by the New York Yankees as a free agent on March 10, 2008... signed with the Chicago White Sox as a free agent on Nov. 10, 2011 and was added to Chicago's 40-man roster.

And it wasn't as if Jose was awful in the Yankee's farm system, he did pretty good in 2011.

Scouting Report - SSS

Quintana's fastball is usually between 88-91 MPH and tends to be straight. He relies on a solid curveball and also throws a decent changeup. Though not overpowering, he has good command of his pitches and throws strikes from his somewhat deceptive three-quarters delivery. Per usual, the lefty is tougher on left-handed hitting.

Fangraphs - Pitch Type, looks like he has a slider too.

Per Wiki, Quintana's past.

Quintana signed as an international free agent with the New York Mets, and began his professional career in the Rookie-level Venezuelan Summer League (VSL), pitching for the VSL Mets in 2006. He did not play in 2007 as he was suspended for violating the terms of minor league baseball's drug policy.[1]

70143809.jpg

#20 on Sickels' list

20) Jose Quintana, LHP, Grade C: Recently signed as minor league free agent out of Yankees system after fine year n High-A. Throws strikes with 89-91 MPH fastball, solid curve and change.

MLB's 2012 Prospect Watch - #19

Quintana comes to the White Sox as a Minor League free agent who didn’t get out of Class A ball in the Yankees’ system. His best year was his last one, when he put up good numbers as a starter and reliever in the Florida State League. He throws a fastball, curve and change and cut his walk rate considerably during the 2011 season. After posting a 2.77 ERA over his first nine starts at Double-A Birmingham in 2012, he got his first call up to the big leagues in late May to fill in for an ailing John Danks.

From Sox Bronze Titan - via Baseball Instinct.

Jose Quintana LHP White Sox – age 23 – Another lesser known arm. This lefty has struck out 26 in 35.1 IP with a 3.03 ERA. The production is there for the southpaw and he’s walked just 7.3% of hitters. He’s bounced from the Mets to the Yankees and now with the White Sox he may be poised to step forward as a SP option.

• 3 weeks later...

Q.

Including the 48.2 innings Quintana has thrown in nine starts for Double-A Birmingham, he has tossed 76 innings in 2012. That is already more than he has thrown in any of his previous seasons save for 2011, when he logged 102 innings. Last summer, he spent the bulk of his time in the bullpen, with 18 of his 30 appearances coming in relief.

The 2012 season is his first above-A ball. It doesn't seem realistic to expect him to continue to be this effective over the long haul. Like his fellow lefty Sale, Quintana should have a limit to his workload this season.

Remember that Sale has had two seasons of big league experience and there is still concern with his innings reaching the 200-inning neighborhood. Quintana shouldn't be expected to approach that total.

I would expect Quintana to be optioned to the minors in a week or two, where he can build on his success. It wouldn't surprise me to see him back up in case of an injury or trade. I think he's better off in Birmingham than in the Chicago bullpen so that he's ready to start some games when needed.

It's hard to forecast his role with the White Sox in the coming months. For now, I like Quintana right where he is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
So was the drug policy violation steroids or recreational drugs?

Banned nutritional supplement. Not PEDs. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,7716486.column

With a bonus of $40,000, the Mets signed Quintana as a 17-year-old in 2006. He returned to Colombia the following season after being suspended for violating minor league baseball's drug policy. When the Sox investigated that incident, they were satisfied Quintana had taken a banned nutritional supplement and nothing steroid-related — and had taken responsibility for his mistake.

"I was young, there was a group of us who didn't know better and I learned from it,'' Quintana said. "That was a very tough year. I thought my career was over.''

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Banned nutritional supplement. Not PEDs. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,7716486.column

It was probably steroids. At that point in time GNC was still selling oral steroids which was confusing the hell out of everyone since salesmen wouldn't even know what they were telling you to buy