Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
I think we do, I'm just not sure we want to give them up.

If we pay top dollar (figuratively speaking, I mean paying in players) for someone, we are leaving this system with seemingly nothing. I'm not sure whether I'm comfortable with that. However, when we get guys like Jose Quintana, Nate Jones, Alejandro de Aza contributing in a huge way...I almost wonder if our talent evaluation is a little better than we at Soxtalk think it is.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a player that hasn't been mentioned that may have more value than almost anyone we're talking about -- Alejandro de Aza. He could easily be a big piece of a deal that brings a David Wright type player in.

We may regret letting him go, or we may get to see Jared Mitchell roam center field for years and forget about it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Here's a player that hasn't been mentioned that may have more value than almost anyone we're talking about -- Alejandro de Aza. He could easily be a big piece of a deal that brings a David Wright type player in.

We may regret letting him go, or we may get to see Jared Mitchell roam center field for years and forget about it.

Then who plays CF & leads off this season? Jared Mitchell isn't ready. No thanks to Lillibridge.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)

To me, De Aza is as big a part of the team's success as anyone...but you are correct in stating that he is a valuable piece.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Then who plays CF & leads off this season? Jared Mitchell isn't ready. No thanks to Lillibridge.

I'm not saying that I'm for it, I'm saying he's certainly a trade asset. Whether or not we want to trade him is a different story altogether.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Have you guys looked at Middlebrooks' stats? First glance looks great: .303/.340/.523? Sure!

Second glance: 25% K rate, 5% BB rate, .367 BABIP, -3.8 Fld in just 37 games. This guy is poised to come crashing down HARD. I don't want him for what he would cost.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=3B

Why would Boston even want to get rid of Middlebrooks? /thread.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm not saying that I'm for it, I'm saying he's certainly a trade asset. Whether or not we want to trade him is a different story altogether.

No doubt. You just mentioned Wright in that post, and that seems counter productive to trade ADA for Wright, who will be expensive for the future.

But yeah, if this season falls apart, ADA can definitely get you a solid prospect from a team trying to compete right now. He is cheap, but he is close to 30 already too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 02:20 AM)
Haven't looked at the splits yet, but Quintana was death to righties in the beginning this year.

Maybe it has evened out.

Of course, the problem is that you need him to stay in the starting rotation.

He's not going to be used in the rotation. You can take that to the bank. In the bullpen, he's a 92-95 guy with a goofy pitch, a solid slider, and a show-me changeup. That combination can be very effective. As a starting pitcher, he's an 89-92 guy with a goofy pitch, a mediocre slider, and a show-me changeup that will get him in trouble using it. He's a 4th starter, 4.50 ERA at the very, very best, and he'll be wildly inconsistent.

He is going to remain in the bullpen where he belongs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
Santiago has also been taken out of the higher pressure roles that Thornton has owned for the last seven years, and put into a lot more low pressure and mop up roles. That was pretty much when his numbers came back north. I'd want to see him in some 8th inning set up roles before pronouncing him as the man.

This is true, and it's something I hope Ventura starts weaning him into a bit more. Just watching him pitch you can tell that he is just oozing confidence, as pretty much all the relievers in the Sox pen are. Give him a chance to try and build on that a little more, because I think he can be a great lefty setup guy for the Sox.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't think we land Youk, I would think they're more likely to add Mark Reynolds.

Even after this 3 game skid they're on, the Orioles are still the 3rd best team in the AL and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Season's almost half over. If anything, I think they're going to be buyers, not sellers. They could use an upgrade in the outfield and a starting pitcher, but that is a decent team that with a couple of upgrades could sneak into the playoffs. The reason they're record is so good is because they have the best bullpen ERA (by quite a bit) at 2.38, and while that is unnaturally low, they do have some very good relievers on that team.

I strongly doubt that Mark Reynolds will be an option.

Youk is a bad idea. Old broken down, gets paid huge money and unproductive. Anyone who wants him isn't thinking ahead . Konerko and AJ ,both still very productive ,aren't getting any younger. Giving up any youth for anyone old is beyond ridiculous. We just have to go with what we have and keep rebuilding. If Sox fans can't get behind a team that has a plan but isn't instantly successful, has young and exciting players then it'll be very hard to continue the rebuilding process . Get your asses out to the park if its not too much of a financial burden. You don't have to buy food there. It's fun family entertainment. It's a nice ball park . It's a good environment for kids if you show up early and want to hit the kids zone. The emphasis shouldn't be on winning to go to a game but to have a little fun with the family or friends.

Brooks Boyer if you're listening stress the fun things about U.S. Cellular and creating memories with your family, even tell people to brown bag their lunch or dinner. Have more on field activities and advertise the heck out of them. It shouldn't be about appreciating the game but appreciating the memories with those close to you.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 02:54 AM)
Youk is a bad idea. Old broken down, gets paid huge money and unproductive. Anyone who wants him isn't thinking ahead . Konerko and AJ ,both still very productive ,aren't getting any younger. Giving up any youth for anyone old is beyond ridiculous. We just have to go with what we have and keep rebuilding. If Sox fans can't get behind a team that has a plan but isn't instantly successful, has young and exciting players then it'll be very hard to continue the rebuilding process . Get your asses out to the park if its not too much of a financial burden. You don't have to buy food there. It's fun family entertainment. It's a nice ball park . It's a good environment for kids if you show up early and want to hit the kids zone. The emphasis shouldn't be on winning to go to a game but to have a little fun with the family or friends.

Brooks Boyer if you're listening stress the fun things about U.S. Cellular and creating memories with your family, even tell people to brown bag their lunch or dinner. Have more on field activities and advertise the heck out of them. It shouldn't be about appreciating the game but appreciating the memories with those close to you.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you think a typical fan "should" go to games?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 01:34 AM)
Mark Reynolds is the same type of hitter as Adam Dunn. You can't have two guy striking out 400 times in the middle of your lineup.

When they are replacing Orlando Hudson I don't really give a damn what TYPE of hitter it is so long as they can occasionally positively impact the overall lineup rather than resembling a pitcher at the dish.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
One or two games a season.

Interesting. I typically get to 3-5 per season (two so far this year), and yet I always feel like all the outcries of attendance (from KW, from the media, and from other fans) are directed at me. Maybe I'm not part of the problem, after all?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
When they are replacing Orlando Hudson I don't really give a damn what TYPE of hitter it is so long as they can occasionally positively impact the overall lineup rather than resembling a pitcher at the dish.

This is the important point. Hudson is playing abysmally both offensively and defensively. Even a 3B that is just a tick BELOW average on both sides of the diamond will be an upgrade.

What are you thinking/referencing when you say a team "can't have two guys striking out a total of 400 times?" To me, it just comes down to someone providing positive value at all to replace someone providing negative value.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Interesting. I typically get to 3-5 per season (two so far this year), and yet I always feel like all the outcries of attendance (from KW, from the media, and from other fans) are directed at me. Maybe I'm not part of the problem, after all?

Well, I guess the question comes down to "what is a typical fan?" A single person living within 20 minutes of the park might hit 5-10 games while a person with a spouse and three kids living an hour away might hit only one. If you average it out, based on all scenarios and discount season-ticket holders, maybe the number is closer to 3-5? I don't know.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you think a typical fan "should" go to games?

It depends on the amount of disposable income they have and how far they live from the park. I'm almost 300 miles away with two small children and I still make it to two games a year, so I'd hope most people in the Chicago area who consider themselves fans can do at least that much.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
It depends on the amount of disposable income they have and how far they live from the park. I'm almost 300 miles away with two small children and I still make it to two games a year, so I'd hope most people in the Chicago area who consider themselves fans can do at least that much.

In all seriousness, I applaud you as a fan. I'm 45 minutes away with three kids, and I haven't been to a game in a few years. I'm a huge Sox fan, but it's very hard for me to dedicate $200+ for a night at the park. Believe me, I would love to go to a half dozen games a year. I should make an effort to go to at least one (and I am this year).

I used to go to 5-10 games a year depending on how well the team was doing.

It's about a 70-90 minute drive depending on traffic.

But I haven't been to a game since my kids were born (son 3 daughter 1).

Plan on returning to same amount once my boy starts to show interest.

Edited by black jack

The organization doesn't care who comes to the games, guys...as long as enough come to fill the stands. It isn't about the single guy or the married guy. It isn't about Sox fans. It's about butts and it's about seats. But they can't talk to the entire country, they talk to the beat writers who ask them questions. There are probably Sox fans that live far away and can't get to games that are bigger Sox fans than some of the season ticket holders who use them for clients or to generate business. But at the end of the day...the White Sox don't care as long as those tickets have been bought. In fact, my guess is, they could really care less if anyone ACTUALLY shows up as long as those seats have been paid for...(of course that's an exaggeration).