• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources: Youkilis to be traded soon

FOX Sports KEN ROSENTHAL and JON PAUL MOROSI

Share This Story

Updated Jun 23, 2012 1:23 AM ET

Kevin Youkilis is going somewhere soon.

The Boston Red Sox continue to move toward a trade of Youkilis, speaking with multiple clubs, according to major-league sources.

The White Sox have engaged in heavy dialogue with Boston regarding Youkilis, but the Dodgers and possibly other teams remain in the mix, sources said.

The Red Sox likely would prefer to send Youkilis to a National League team — one they are not competing with for a postseason spot and would avoid in the early rounds of the playoffs.

The White Sox’s need for Youkilis is obvious — third baseman Brent Morel is out indefinitely with a back injury, and his replacement, Orlando Hudson, is batting just .160 in 81 at-bats.

The Dodgers likely would play Youkilis at third base, where they ranked 12th in the NL in OPS entering Friday night’s play.

The Braves also have scouted Youkilis recently, according to published reports. The Indians also had interest in Youkilis, but would prefer to save their limited resources for a run at a left fielder or starting pitcher, sources said.

Youkilis, 33, has batted just .231/.326/.372 since missing three weeks with lower left back tightness and coming off the disabled list on May 22.

The Red Sox are willing to assume a portion of his remaining salary — almost $7 million, along with a $1 million buyout on next year’s $13 million option — to receive better players in return.

LINK.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:05 AM)
I'm not expecting this to be a season changing move, but if it's just a 1 for 1 for a say, Lillibridge, and Boston picks up his salary, then ok.

RedSox aren't that stupid. They'll get one of our prospects.

I noticed that Charlotte played Connor Jackson at 3B last night. Wow, they really are reaching for a solution at the "hot corner"!!!

I like his bat, if he's finally back to good health, but I can't imagine that he could play the position defensively. Although, wasn't he always a very good defender at 1B?

He just had a couple of pretty spectacular nights in his first games back from the DL.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
RedSox aren't that stupid. They'll get one of our prospects.

I don't know about that. They really want to get him off the roster.

Let's put it this way, if/when this trade happens, I'm not expecting it to be a big deal either way.

A Major League official suggested on Friday night that the White Sox have renewed interest in Kevin Youkilis.

Chicago is using a converted second baseman, Orlando Hudson, at third base.

The White Sox have had scouts in to see Youkilis and liked him enough that they would take him if the Red Sox absorbed most of his remaining salary, according to a source.

Youk will be a bigger help than a lot think, but in the bigger picture it's about getting a starter. Just thinking out loud is their plan Youk at third Danks/Jackson in left and Viciedo as the main trade bait to get a SP?

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Youk will be a bigger help than a lot think, but in the bigger picture it's about getting a starter. Just thinking out loud is their plan Youk at third Danks/Jackson in left and Viciedo as the main trade bait to get a SP?

No chance. If the Sox get Youkilis, its going to cost very little in terms of money and/or talent. Unless King Felix is in the picture, Viciedo is going nowhere, and he shouldn't.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
I don't know about that. They really want to get him off the roster.

Let's put it this way, if/when this trade happens, I'm not expecting it to be a big deal either way.

Exactly, the Red Sox want him off the roster now and just want to get something for him rather than release him. That might be some salary relief or a marginal prospect, but they aren't getting a legit prospect for him. As everyone has mentioned on here, he's been awful this year, the Red Sox have a terrific replacement, he not much of a bench guy, and he's had his clubhouse issues this year. Teams know the Red Sox want him gone, so unless a bunch of teams are fighting for him, they have very little leverage IMO.

As for the White Sox, I'm shocked how many people are ripping this move. We all know how bad Youkilis has been this year, and people love to point out he's actually been worse than ODog this past month. Fair enough. However, people saying he's been trending downward the past few years are somewhat missing the point here. From 2008 to 2010, Youkilis had an OPS of .958 or higher each year. That's elite level production and it obviously wasn't going to last forever. Then last year he had his "down" season and only put up a .833 OPS. While not elite, that's still a fantastic number.

I guess my point here is that Youkilis hasn't just suddenly lost all his talent. He's getting older and his performance is declining, but the impact should be more gradual than what we're seeing this year. Obviously his back has been hurting him this year and we know he's had his clubhouse issues this year. I'd like to see how he responds to a new set of trainers and a fresh new clubhouse. IMO, the guy can still be an .800 OPS player if healthy.

I know trading for Youkilis has risks, but what's more important to me is the downside. If we don't have to trade anything of value or eat most of the deal, then what do we have to lose? There's not a lot of other options at 3B. We can't spend this money on prospects. The move would be a gamble, but one with no long-term consequences. The one thing I do know is we can't win with ODog at 3B. So we can either take a chance on Youkilis or die a slow death.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Exactly, the Red Sox want him off the roster now and just want to get something for him rather than release him. That might be some salary relief or a marginal prospect, but they aren't getting a legit prospect for him. As everyone has mentioned on here, he's been awful this year, the Red Sox have a terrific replacement, he not much of a bench guy, and he's had his clubhouse issues this year. Teams know the Red Sox want him gone, so unless a bunch of teams are fighting for him, they have very little leverage IMO.

As for the White Sox, I'm shocked how many people are ripping this move. We all know how bad Youkilis has been this year, and people love to point out he's actually been worse than ODog this past month. Fair enough. However, people saying he's been trending downward the past few years are somewhat missing the point here. From 2008 to 2010, Youkilis had an OPS of .958 or higher each year. That's elite level production and it obviously wasn't going to last forever. Then last year he had his "down" season and only put up a .833 OPS. While not elite, that's still a fantastic number.

I guess my point here is that Youkilis hasn't just suddenly lost all his talent. He's getting older and his performance is declining, but the impact should be more gradual than what we're seeing this year. Obviously his back has been hurting him this year and we know he's had his clubhouse issues this year. I'd like to see how he responds to a new set of trainers and a fresh new clubhouse. IMO, the guy can still be an .800 OPS player if healthy.

I know trading for Youkilis has risks, but what's more important to me is the downside. If we don't have to trade anything of value or eat most of the deal, then what do we have to lose? There's not a lot of other options at 3B. We can't spend this money on prospects. The move would be a gamble, but one with no long-term consequences. The one thing I do know is we can't win with ODog at 3B. So we can either take a chance on Youkilis or die a slow death.

I was reading an article that contained several scouting reports basically saying his body is breaking down and he's done. But you're right, as long as it doesn't cost much and doesn't impair the Sox from making other moves, its probably worth a shot considering the Sox 3rd base situation now and for what looks like the rest of the season. Especially considering it looks like Morel isn't going to be much of a help this year.If this is the Sox blowing their entire load this year just on him, its should be a fireable offense if the most likely happens and it doesn't work out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
No chance. If the Sox get Youkilis, its going to cost very little in terms of money and/or talent. Unless King Felix is in the picture, Viciedo is going nowhere, and he shouldn't.

There's not much point in upgrading 3B if they don't get a SP.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
There's not much point in upgrading 3B if they don't get a SP.

If Danks comes back healthy, and Humber returns healthy and his struggles were related to his elbow, the rotation is easily good enough to win the Central. Without these 2 and Floyd pitching like he belongs in A ball most of the year, they are 1/2 game out.

Sox pitchers have limited opponents to 2 runs or less already 27 times this season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:57 AM)
Taking on at least some of his contract or give up quality potential which Kenny does NOT want to do.

I'm still confused on whether we're taking on the whole contract and sending a bogus prospect over or whether we're sending a slightly better player over to get salary relief.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
If Danks comes back healthy, and Humber returns healthy and his struggles were related to his elbow, the rotation is easily good enough to win the Central. Without these 2 and Floyd pitching like he belongs in A ball most of the year, they are 1/2 game out.

This. The last thing I want us to do is gut our franchise for a starting pitcher right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
I was reading an article that contained several scouting reports basically saying his body is breaking down and he's done. But you're right, as long as it doesn't cost much and doesn't impair the Sox from making other moves, its probably worth a shot considering the Sox 3rd base situation now and for what looks like the rest of the season. Especially considering it looks like Morel isn't going to be much of a help this year.If this is the Sox blowing their entire load this year just on him, its should be a fireable offense if the most likely happens and it doesn't work out.

And the key here is we're only talking about 3-4 months. I don't want a 33 year old with back issues in my long-term mix, but for the rest of the season I'm willing to take a gamble that his back issues will be moderate and allow him to be a significant upgrade over the 34 year old 2B who has been on 5 teams in the past 6 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)

Who knows how long it will be again until the Sox have two starters pitching like Sale and Peavy at the top of the rotation. They need to maximize this, problem is they probably won't have enough to trade for the best starter on the market, whoever that will be.